Sponsored

Clutch Won’t Disengage

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
You just need a new clutch. Invest in a nicer one than stock and it will live longer. Depending on your driving habits of course.
Sponsored

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
jgruben is right. If you can feel clutch fluid, that's your problem. You need to stop the leak, bleed the clutch.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
There was no fluid on the line till I wiggled it around. But I agree, it should be tighter than that. The tech pointed this out last time the master was replaced and replaced the line as well. Not sure what else can be done but I’ll look into it.

I’ve been doing some research and found that most guys that grenade the stock disc do so with a WOT shift so that isn’t looking good for me.

I’m still going to bleed it before I do anything else but now that I’ve done some research I expect the clutch exploded on me.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
There was no fluid on the line till I wiggled it around. But I agree, it should be tighter than that. The tech pointed this out last time the master was replaced and replaced the line as well. Not sure what else can be done but I’ll look into it.

I’ve been doing some research and found that most guys that grenade the stock disc do so with a WOT shift so that isn’t looking good for me.

I’m still going to bleed it before I do anything else but now that I’ve done some research I expect the clutch exploded on me.
You're putting more pressure through the line with the pedal than you ever did jiggling it.

*YOU HAVE A LEAK*

Fix that. Then look and see if anything else is messed up.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The line just clips onto the reservoir. What can be done to fix the leak there?

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
The line just clips onto the reservoir. What can be done to fix the leak there?
I'm not familiar with the exact fitment on Mustangs, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable speak to that. There may be an after market replacement line option that works better or something. I was just trying to keep you form losing focus on where the problem lies.

You could have a problem with the clutch, shift forks, gearbox, or any of the other things mentioned, but until you fix that leak, the only way to know is to pull the transmission and start poking around. I'd rather see you get the leak fixed, bleed it, and drive on in to the sunset, or at the very least, be able to confirm you do have another issue.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
The clutch and brake are independent circuits... They have to be or else you'd press the brake pedal every time you press the clutch...

Even with a shared reservoir you drain it the same way. If the plugs on all the brakes are tight the air in circuitonly has one place to go. Once u pressurized the system out the bleeder with the old fluid or into the reservoir

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

WOT 2-3 shifting should not cause a clutch problem. A lot of these are probably clutches that have been overheated before and got brittle.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Messed with the car a bit more. Now that I have it home in the garage I can hear some shit definitely not right in there. Pedal is fine with engine off but once the car is running the pedal feels very strange while depressed and I can hear what sounds like a screeching TOB and intermittently some rattling noises.

Looks like the trans is coming out.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
I’m guessing the clutch disc material will fall out in pieces. A bunch of people have had the EXACT same issues your describing. Shifts fine when car is off, start car and shit goes south real quick. It’s the clutch disc. Been there twice myself.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’m guessing the clutch disc material will fall out in pieces. A bunch of people have had the EXACT same issues your describing. Shifts fine when car is off, start car and shit goes south real quick. It’s the clutch disc. Been there twice myself.
I expect you are right. I only hope the clutch exploding didn’t damage anything else.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This effectively removes all doubt of what happened. Put the car up in the air to assess the situation and this piece of clutch disc fell out one of the inspection ports in the bellhousing.

Ordered an Exedy Mach 500, flywheel, throwout bearing, braided line, and MGW race spec shifter.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well.... I guess I was almost spot on with the diagnosis in last paragraph of post #5... lol

You’ll be back up and running in no time.

As others have said, the stock MT82 clutch disc has been known to just fail unexpectedly... not sure who’s supplying Ford with the clutch discs these days, but they used to be really good quality when Valeo was the supplier a few years back...
Sponsored