Sponsored

Teenage Drivers...Insurance?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What are you guys seeing for rates on your 16 year old drivers?? On your policy or do they have their own policy? What kind of car, and does the car effect rates extremely?

I’m about to have one and drifting into these waters. Want to mentally and emotionally prepare myself, LOL.
Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Be ready to pay a heavy price slice.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
My ins guy said not to put the boys on a car with a loan. As long as they were on a car that was liability only, the rates weren't terrible. 9 yr old neon, and 10 yr old ranger. Rates were about $80/month. At least double that for cars with a loan.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I was on my parents insurance plan when I got my 2015 5.0 @ 19 years old. I was paying my part which was $240 a month for full coverage. Before then (16 years old to 19) i was driving a 2006 Tacoma and i was paying $100 full coverage a month on my parents insurance plan.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Uugggg...$240 a month for insurance. That's flippin insane.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Uugggg...$240 a month for insurance. That's flippin insane.
If you want insane wait for a speeding ticket or a fender bender.

Buddy of mines daughter (17) has one wreck and a ticket. 2015? Silverado 4x4. Full coverage. He said over $300 a month.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Got lucky, didn't pay a cent (technically) until mine was 18. Really conscientious kid. When he saw how much insurance would cost he offered to not get his license in exchange for a cut of the savings to use toward his racing. He still drove our and others' cars with a learner's permit for years, just needed a licensed driver in the car. For some reason insurance allowed that with zero premium increase. Funny story: he was already a many time racing champion and was hired by the Bondurant School when he was 16. First job before becoming an instructor involved shaking down the race cars on track after maintenance or before classes to make sure they were "right". I don't think they ever knew he didn't have a driver's license. LoL

Farisso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darissa
Vehicle(s)
mustang 6g
As far as I know, the price of insurance depends on the car and how many years have driving experience, well, on your area, of course. I took out a joint car insurance with my younger sister, because it turned out a little cheaper.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Get your kid a cheap older car and the minimal coverage your state allows. Do not insure them to drive your other cars. Make it clear that the car they drive is the only car they WILL be driving. I was told that first time teenage boys have a 100% chance of getting in an accident and girls 85%. Insurance companies see teenage boys as the highest risk first time drivers out there.
If your son does get into a minor accident then try not to file a claim.
Sponsored