Sponsored

Tire warmers for rears to prevent heat cycling out

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I wouldn't say that, and you shouldn't feel that way either.

If you have a balanced car and drive understeer into it with your inputs, the fronts will wear faster. Likewise, if you drive to create oversteer, the rears will wear faster. Driving properly will result in more even tire wear (front to rear). Your driving has a lot to do with the balance of the car.

Often beginners (and even fast amateurs) are taught the safe 'club racing' style of doing all of your braking in a straight line, don't trail brake, and to get back to throttle at turn-in and use maintenance throttle through the corner (causing safe understeer). Doing this reduces your chances of spinning or losing control, but it's slow.

The problem with this, is as people start driving faster and really push their cars to the limit, this driving style is the limitation. When they start to modify their cars to reduce this driver-induced understeer, they do go faster, because you're balancing out the car for the understeer you're causing behind the wheel with your inputs. Once these people learn to trail brake and become better drivers, they often find their setup changes now make for an unstable, and often slower car.

The GT350 is a very balanced car in stock form with the track alignment settings. Especially with a little more front camber than what's in the supplement. If you're having major understeer problems, it may be because of your driving inputs. Assuming you didn't change the wheels or tires that can cause a big balance change.

If you do track days and are interested in advancing your skills, these are must-reads:

https://motoiq.com/driver-development-car-control/

https://motoiq.com/driver-development-learning-processes/

-Billy

When driven at the limit, you'll rarely get more than 100-150 miles out of a set of tires. That's fairly universal for GT350 bespoke PSS, Cup2, GT350R Cup 2, Porsche GT3s on Cup 2s, Ford GTs, McLaren MP4, 675, Ferrari 458, 488, GT4 & GT3 racecars on racing slicks, etc..)
This post right here is why I spend a lot of time reading every post on the forum i can, even if the subject doesn't seem like it would interest me.

This post should really be it's own thread, although I guess technically not much about it is GT350 specific.
Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok... my take away from those articles is that I'm underdeveloped... I rarely trail brake...

I also avoid rain days like the plague due to an off I had on my 1st rain day....

I'll have to make some decisions about risk vs reward of pushing the car in a different way but it def makes sense to me to change my style as I haven't picked up any time all season.

My question though.... does this really extend tire life??? My assumption is that I'll likely just end up faster with both ends wearing out as fast as the fronts currently do IF I actually learn how to balance the car more evenly...
Driving with a proper technique will extend tire life while maintaining the same speed, allow you to turn faster lap times, and possibly do both. However once you are able to drive the car at the limit in every corner, your tire wear will be determined by the track, weight of your car, etc... Unless you want to drive slower to extend your tire life.