Sponsored

Best Drop-In Air (DRY) Filter for the 2018 GT or recommended?

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
I clicked on the link to the aFe Web page, and found the info on the increased flow (thanks for that link), but what I didn't see was any info on how it compared to the stock filter on effective elimination of particulate (you know, particulate matter down to X microns, etc.). Does anyone have that data? I'm not trying to knock the filter. I just want to make sure that it protects my engine first, and provides a performance increase second.
Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Link/source?

ETA; I found it. They say gains of 7HP/7TQ........but any more info is lacking.

Was the OEM filter dirty? Did they do the dyno runs back to back, just a few minutes apart? It would be good if they provided that info.
Gains of 7hp and 7tq but peak gains of 19hp and 19tq. There have been users who have logged the air mass gains with the stock filter and then a 'high flow' replacement. The gains are there, especially in the mid-range.

Simon.V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Does anyone else have experience with the AFE drop in dry filter? (I think it's called AFE Magnum FLOW Dry S Filter?) - Please let me know if it's the wrong one

47% more air flow than stock just by swapping a filter sounds amazing plus it's only $70. I'm assuming I can keep IATs similar to stock with the box still on?

Is the filter still treating you well? If you could do it again, would you go with AFE drop in again? @BmacIL

19 Mustang GT

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
AEM dry flow appears to be similar to AFE. $55 bucks Amazon. Been running one since January this year. I picked up some maf counts with it versus stock paper. Fyi.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've used AEM dry filter for 3 years, it's still working fine, gains I don't know about. I modified the grill w/drill/plug cutter for more air into the stock box.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I've used AEM dry filter for 3 years, it's still working fine, gains I don't know about. I modified the grill w/drill/plug cutter for more air into the stock box.
Me too on drivers side grill area punched out 22 more of the solid honeycombs. Also cleaned up stock upper box with carbon trap removal.

Simon.V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
AEM dry flow appears to be similar to AFE. $55 bucks Amazon. Been running one since January this year. I picked up some maf counts with it versus stock paper. Fyi.

Do you mind explaining what you mean by ā€œpicked up some maf countsā€?

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
@Simon.V8 When data logging, one of the PIDs that can be referenced is the Mass air meter. Stock paper filter vs dry filter, he is saying the log showed measurably more airflow through the maf housing with the dry filter.

Simon.V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
@Simon.V8 When data logging, one of the PIDs that can be referenced is the Mass air meter. Stock paper filter vs dry filter, he is saying the log showed measurably more airflow through the maf housing with the dry filter.

Oh awesome thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a tuning device yet, any idea if the ā€œmaf countā€ supports

Any idea whatā€™s the MAF count reading with the AFE filter? I believe with AEM itā€™s 51.27.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I put a drop-in AEM dry filter in my new 5.0 F150 when I got it, and the difference was immediately noticeable versus the stock paper element. I was actually a little surprised.

No doubt an AFE is similar.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Link/source?

ETA; I found it. They say gains of 7HP/7TQ........but any more info is lacking.
Can you post the link? I can't find it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Mooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 Fusion / Mustang GT Premium on order
I am currently tuned with Lund Racing, would this drop in filter benefit from a data log and retune adjustment?
Sponsored