3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So couple points
1. Almost trading a 2016 GT for a Audi TT would stack up as one of the greatest blunders of all time... No seriously that would be a Chernobyl style mistake.

2. What makes you think the civic type r will be more reliable than the GT? Honda reliability in reality is mostly a myth, almost every Honda ive known has drivetrain, oiling and overheating problems not to mention electrical problems. Worse you're getting something turbo? Wait till that car hits 60k miles and the cartridge fails, or it blows a seal, or some other stupid turbo issue on top of the usual Honda issues

3. Re the mustangs handling... They make literally any suspension mod out there to tweak the handling...

4. Re the Camaro tranny, I'm almost certain they developed that tranny with Ford... Don't quote me but i think they use the Tremec trannies that the GT350s use... The Camaro has a legendarily unreliable rear diff though... Its comically bad, like it will blow itself up at a stoplight bad...

Finally as I see it The issue isnt so much with the car you have but with you no knowing exactly what you want from a car.

You can make a Mustang handle like a Ferrari F430. Right now if you wanted and you wouldnt be happy, because you would complain about it riding like absolute shit daily... And being scary on the highway.

I think before you buy another car you have to first define what exactly you want out of it and what do you want to accomplish. All you're defining are features... But what u want out of the car is something else.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be happy to help you put a chassis setup on the car that will never make you think it is inferior to the Camaro ever again, and one that still is DD friendly. There is so much potential in this car.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Before thinking the handling sucks on the GT try this.

Let the air out the tires. Always keep the front pressure lower than the rear. You can try 30 -33 in the front and 35 in the rear. Drive it and tell me if you like it... Or experiment with 2 psi increments... You're gonna be shocked how much it changes the car.

Also you're looking for a unicorn.. The car that will do everything right manufacturers have been hunting for that for years and they'll never get there.

Every car is a compromise. Take the GT vs a BMW M3. the M3 feels so smooth and refined, and handles incredible... You also need to replace THE ENTIRE FRONT AND REAR suspension once per year. The diffs on them are throw away parts, because their internal tolerances are 4 decimal place tolerances... Very hard to meet.

Our cars have strong rear ends because they are designed to be simple with more generous backlash tolerances. They're also serviceable... That makes the car feel clunky... The suspension systems on are cars are durable, and designed for performance street driving and light track use.

So my best advice is choose a car u love, define what u want and do very small tweaks to it. Or buy more than one car

Dont ask for A car to do everything. You will never find that and you'll go broke and leave behind a trail of destroyed cars and unfinished projects trying to get it...

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
So couple points
1. Almost trading a 2016 GT for a Audi TT would stack up as one of the greatest blunders of all time... No seriously that would be a Chernobyl style mistake.

2. What makes you think the civic type r will be more reliable than the GT? Honda reliability in reality is mostly a myth, almost every Honda ive known has drivetrain, oiling and overheating problems not to mention electrical problems. Worse you're getting something turbo? Wait till that car hits 60k miles and the cartridge fails, or it blows a seal, or some other stupid turbo issue on top of the usual Honda issues

3. Re the mustangs handling... They make literally any suspension mod out there to tweak the handling...

4. Re the Camaro tranny, I'm almost certain they developed that tranny with Ford... Don't quote me but i think they use the Tremec trannies that the GT350s use... The Camaro has a legendarily unreliable rear diff though... Its comically bad, like it will blow itself up at a stoplight bad...

Finally as I see it The issue isnt so much with the car you have but with you no knowing exactly what you want from a car.

You can make a Mustang handle like a Ferrari F430. Right now if you wanted and you wouldnt be happy, because you would complain about it riding like absolute shit daily... And being scary on the highway.

I think before you buy another car you have to first define what exactly you want out of it and what do you want to accomplish. All you're defining are features... But what u want out of the car is something else.
I mean that last part is literally what I did; it's the whole gist of the post and how I arrived at owning the mustang, in addition to my S2000, pickup, and Ducati. It fits the daily driver gap.

I roll 32 psi on all 4 corners. I figure Ford recommends that for a reason. Years of motorcycling has made me very aware of maintaining correct tire pressure.

I also disagree that buying a TT RS is a Chernobyl level mistake. That's been responsible for like 4,000 deaths in the years following it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zissou

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Have you watched the new series? Fantastic and really chilling.
Not yet! It's def in my list, just need to finish Mindhunter season 2 first

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I roll 32 psi on all 4 corners. I figure Ford recommends that for a reason. Years of motorcycling has made me very aware of maintaining correct tire pressure.
You are correct they tell u to run that for a reason. But "correct" is relative. Ford is designing cars based on averages and the capability and average tire life etc. They setup the car to understeer because thats easier for the average driver to control. Also tire pressure doesnt stay static. As you drive harder the pressure increases as the temps get higher. As the pressure comes up the oils in the tire start rising to the surface making the tire more slippery. Then the rubber of the tire starts peeling off and bunching up along the edges.

On a motorcycle you call these "chicken strips" they appear on cars as well. That rubber is super slippery and what causes a lot of your understeer.

Most people won't experience that driving to Wal-Mart, but you will experience that at a trackday and on a spirited drive on a twisty road.

Ford recommends equal pressure all around for tire life and even wear.

In my experience once the pressure gets over 38-40 psi these cars Will not turn at all... So go experiment air them up to 35 psi drive a lot. When the tires start screaming lower the front 2 psi see if that kills the understeer then lower the rear 2 then the front. You'll be surprised but go try it for yourself. Air only costs 1.25
I also disagree that buying a TT RS is a Chernobyl level mistake. That's been responsible for like 4,000 deaths in the years following it.
It was a joke man... Everyone is one chicken nugget from a heart attack nowadays....

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Variety is the spice of life. Seriously. If everyone liked the same thing - cars would be super boring and I highly doubt we have the HUGE aftermarket / parts / automobile industry we are so lucky to have.

Reliability - it's an age old debate. Here's the thing - most mass produced vehicles now are ridiculously reliable compared to most past vehicles. But of course when you make thousands of something - you're going to get some bad ones. The fact that we tend to ignore on car forums is that most people don't "do anything" to their car. They don't search for the best forum for their car before or after they buy it. Many will only search when something is seemingly WRONG with their vehicle. You're a helluva a lot more likely to hear about a BAD experience with ANYTHING than you are a good experience.

Handling is VERY subjective. Personally I think a lot of people replace springs / dampers / etc and overlook the simple stuff that can greatly affect handling. Like spending money on lowering springs for aesthetic reasons, then figuring out what parts to buy to get the car to handle / ride better - since lowering affects handling. I grew up on dirt roads. That's how I learned to drive. Before I had a license I was doing some dirt track racing. Most people never have the experience of learning to steer with the throttle, it isn't bad or good - it just is. But me personally I like a car to be just "loose" enough to give me some warning before the ass end lets go, so mostly I tend to lean towards a bit of over steer if not neutral. It doesn't freak me out when the rear end starts to walk - but I can understand how that would mess with drivers who didn't spend hours sliding through turns for fun.

Ride quality is the same thing. I see someone posting "doesn't ride that stiff at all" and I have to laugh. It depends on the roads you are driving on, how you drive etc etc.

Case in point - a buddy of mine runs a Miata in local SCCA parking lot type stuff. I remember him riding in my car, then driving it when new. (He was looking for a new daily). He commented on how bad it handled with the OEM 17" Wheels and everything being bone stock. Not too long ago, I took him for a ride and let him drive it now. He couldn't believe the difference in the car, asked me what dampers I added, what spring etc. You should have seen his face when I told him the only changes to the chassis / suspension : Steeda 2 point bolt in front brace, Steed rear subframe braces, Ford OEM PP front and rear swaybars and of course SVE S350 19x10 wheels and 275/40/19 tires.

So much is subjective. I don't own garage queens. I don't care what other people do - it's their money, their car, their time - as long as they are happy why should they care what I think? But if I own a car that I can let sit in the garage, it's likely time to sell it - because if I don't WANT To drive it everyday, me personally - I doubt I'd own it in the first place.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Variety is the spice of life. Seriously. If everyone liked the same thing - cars would be super boring and I highly doubt we have the HUGE aftermarket / parts / automobile industry we are so lucky to have.

Reliability - it's an age old debate. Here's the thing - most mass produced vehicles now are ridiculously reliable compared to most past vehicles. But of course when you make thousands of something - you're going to get some bad ones. The fact that we tend to ignore on car forums is that most people don't "do anything" to their car. They don't search for the best forum for their car before or after they buy it. Many will only search when something is seemingly WRONG with their vehicle. You're a helluva a lot more likely to hear about a BAD experience with ANYTHING than you are a good experience.

Handling is VERY subjective. Personally I think a lot of people replace springs / dampers / etc and overlook the simple stuff that can greatly affect handling. Like spending money on lowering springs for aesthetic reasons, then figuring out what parts to buy to get the car to handle / ride better - since lowering affects handling. I grew up on dirt roads. That's how I learned to drive. Before I had a license I was doing some dirt track racing. Most people never have the experience of learning to steer with the throttle, it isn't bad or good - it just is. But me personally I like a car to be just "loose" enough to give me some warning before the ass end lets go, so mostly I tend to lean towards a bit of over steer if not neutral. It doesn't freak me out when the rear end starts to walk - but I can understand how that would mess with drivers who didn't spend hours sliding through turns for fun.

Ride quality is the same thing. I see someone posting "doesn't ride that stiff at all" and I have to laugh. It depends on the roads you are driving on, how you drive etc etc.

Case in point - a buddy of mine runs a Miata in local SCCA parking lot type stuff. I remember him riding in my car, then driving it when new. (He was looking for a new daily). He commented on how bad it handled with the OEM 17" Wheels and everything being bone stock. Not too long ago, I took him for a ride and let him drive it now. He couldn't believe the difference in the car, asked me what dampers I added, what spring etc. You should have seen his face when I told him the only changes to the chassis / suspension : Steeda 2 point bolt in front brace, Steed rear subframe braces, Ford OEM PP front and rear swaybars and of course SVE S350 19x10 wheels and 275/40/19 tires.

So much is subjective. I don't own garage queens. I don't care what other people do - it's their money, their car, their time - as long as they are happy why should they care what I think? But if I own a car that I can let sit in the garage, it's likely time to sell it - because if I don't WANT To drive it everyday, me personally - I doubt I'd own it in the first place.
Yeah I like overseer more too. These cars slide so linearly and smooth it's not scary at all when the back steps out.

Op should go do a track day and play with the tire pressures first. I'm pretty sure he'll comeback singing a different tune...

If he's still not happy the track day will give him a better understanding of the specific area that need changing.

You dont want to start swapping parts just to swap parts...
Sponsored