Sponsored

Adding Interior Footwell Lightning + Integrated to car dimmer

jsn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hello everyone.

This project is intended to add interior footwell lightning to base models, this is an initial draft so please feel free to add your comments or suggestions.

What you will need:

- Wire-Taps
- 18AWG Wire
- Some soldering skills
- RGB Led Strip
- Potentiometer (I know it is not the best method, but works)

Plan:

I will be wire tapping on the light harness that goes to the PRNDS LED light, it is important to note that this LED turns on and off (and is dimmed) with the car lights, so your footwell lightning will be automatic. (another location for the wire-tap is the trunk button).

I've seen that Green+Blue creates a very close color to the one on the buttons, so we will be powering G+B on the Led Strip and attenuate it using the potentiometer.

I did this for a 2013 Mustang and worked successfully, so it should work the same way for the 2015/2016.

Feedback?

Thank you.

Update (1/6/16): We'll be using the trunk button and passing the cable below the head unit. (read post #5 for details).
Sponsored

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I'm definitely interested.

JStang091

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Interested as well, I just hooked mine up to the window fuse- so the stay on with the car, and when the car is off until a door is open. But I wouldn't mind hooking them up this way so they dim. The ones that I have I bought from amazon many years ago, and they have a ton of color combo's.. I was able to get it to closley match the interior button color.

OP
OP

jsn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Update:

Found an excellent tap point, for this project we will be using the power of the trunk button, this button turns on and off with the automatic lights, and also dims with the whole other buttons, this tap point is easier to access.

There is a space below the radio head unit, where we will be able to pass the cable to the passenger side, so we will be using just 1 tap point for the whole setup.

I will proceed to purchase everything tomorrow in the evening, and hopefully will be uploading the whole process in the night.

Stay tuned.

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

jsn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Any updates?
Yes!

I''ve been out of the country and have been unable to finish the guide.

The installation was successful.

Some updates/notes on the installation:

- I found that mixing the blue and green RGB channels give the perfect match for the blue color used on the controls, so the ambient lighting feels OEM. If you want just 1 OEM matching color, that would be it. You may also add an RGB controller if you feel the need for more colours.

- I used an mixed RGB Led strip, I do not recommend the ones that got the colours separated since the color may not diffuse correctly.

- I tapped the power on the trunk button power line, it is important to note that this button turns on and off automatically and when opening/closing the car, dims with the control and turns off when on daylight and works as courtesy light also. It was perfect for this use.

- You'll have to remove the left dash trim and the piece where the button is located, since access from below is really complicated. (some clips and 2 7mm bolts)

- Once removed, you'll have to peel the cable a little bit (I'll provide which ones to use as soon as I get home) and use some wire-tap (scotch locks) to tap on the positive and negative wires.

- It is recommended to add a potentiometer (I used a 10k and tried also a 5k and both worked fine, you can also use some resistors to achieve this) to regulate the maximum power output, once set, this will not be required to adjust anymore, since you'll be using the dimmer on the car. I did this as I found the light to bright but this may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the LED strip you're using and your very own personal taste.

I'll post the guide as soon as I get home.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Tested mine out yesterday. Using a Nissan lighting kit and will tie in my illuminated sill plates. I'm also using a wifi controller and rgb converter since factory lighting is wired common cathode.

Jeremy

Sponsored

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
You can just tap int the fuse box, that's where I have my radar detector or RgB music lights to. Much easier as well

macwind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
maciej
Vehicle(s)
V6 3.7 2017
Hi,

Does anyone know where to connect wiring for footwell lights (to have lighting on the floor when door are opening) when Dark Car/Police Mode is ON (set by Forscan) ?

No current from gray-purple wire when when Dark Car/Police Mode is ON. This is working only when when Dark Car/Police Mode is disable.
Please see attached picture.

(Dark Car/Police (Stealth) Mode - keeps your interior (and Pony) lights off when you enter/exit/turn off vehicle BCM 726-32-01 : xxxx x?xx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off-default), 1-Enable (on))

Thanks,
Mac
Mustang 2015-2017 3.7 V6.
footwell wire current cable.JPG
Sponsored