Sponsored

2017 GT350 Engine toast, buy back process?

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
As others have mentioned, they’re not replacing your engine with a 2017 5.2L but the upgraded 2019 5.2L. The 2019 5.2L doesn’t have the oil consumption issues like the earlier iterations.
Whoa, seriously? This is the first I'm seeing this. Anybody know what they did differently?
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
As others have mentioned, they’re not replacing your engine with a 2017 5.2L but the upgraded 2019 5.2L. The 2019 5.2L doesn’t have the oil consumption issues like the earlier iterations.
Do you have a source for this? The 2019's had some changes but I don't know of anything showing it specifically addressed oil consumption or that 2019's don't have issues. The first page of this forum already has a thread from a 2019 owner with a blown engine in 250 miles, and in the 2019 issues thread, an owner who is on his 3rd 2019 engine in 500 miles.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-gt350-with-new-engine.128130/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...019-gt350s-encounter-any-issues.125355/page-4

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I don't believe the engine has changed at all.

There was some confusion among F-150 owners too that were going through replacements that they were getting upgraded 2019 motors, but the part numbers on the engines did not change and my dealership told me the engines had not been touched as far as design goes.

I would imagine it is the same for the Shelby.

OP
OP

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Thank you, I appreciate that. I am looking into all of this. I will be in contact with Ford this week in regards to just having it replaced in order to continue this process. What it all boils down to is that I am just very disappointed this happened to my car. I understand some people believe that the value will not drop once a new motor as been replaced, but that just is not true, and I guess that is just a huge concern of mine as it would be to anyone who still has the same monthly payment on a car that is now worth quite a bit less. But we will see. I have been looking into everything you have sent me. So I do appreciate everything. Thank you again.
@3star2nr

It’s one thing to post your opinions or even help, but it’s another to keep bashing the OP or members of this site with multiple posts in the same thread. It’s really uncalled for and I’m sure everyone who has read your post after post gets your point and feeling on the matter.

He did ask a legit question and in no instance did he ask to be called out or to be slammed for posting a valid thread. Flip the tables, if you had any issue with your S550 where you asked legit questions to get forum input, I’m sure you wouldn’t want anyone jumping your case for no reason at all.

————

The member who posted a blurb about the OH Lemon Law info - thanks, but that’s not the big picture. Here’s the big picture that the OP or anyone in Ohio needs to know:

The rest of the OH LL is HERE, right from the Ohio State Attorney General’s site:
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...s/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws
—————

The question regarding the 3-strike rule for a Lemon Claim. That is true in *some* States, however it’s not only 3 attempts at repair to be able to initiate a Lemon claim. Other factors come into play as well, again depending on X-State’s Lemon Law. This is why I tell anyone contemplating making a claim to always review their State’s Lemon Law and know it. Even after initiating a claim, there’s a process that has to be followed in order to complete such a claim successfully.

As I have previously stated to the OP, he HAS to give Ford the opportunity to repair the vehicle AND that is made very clear in the above quoted material from the OH Lemon Law.

People just can’t claim “lemon” and be compensated; there is an entire process laid out within each State’s Lemon Law. Ford Corp. plus Ford RAV adheres to those imposed State Lemon Laws and does not deviate from it. The BBB Autoline also references and adheres to the same (if folks file through BBB). In order to win a claim, it’s based on legitimacy, facts and meeting all of the required provisions of that State’s Lemon Law.

OP
OP

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man. Ya I hope this process works out ok. I do love my car and I would like to have a new engine installed, I am just concerned about the value like I have mentioned in prior posts. Thats my whole concern ya know. But I still have some more details to sort out with Ford this week. I feel like that is a legitimate concern ya know. Anyways, thank you for your feedback.
Have you ever had to Lemon a car? I don't think so. You sound like you're preaching from the mountain, but you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

I just lemoned my 2018 F-150. 8k miles and it was on it's third motor. To anyone saying engine replacements do not hurt vehicle value: you are wrong. It shows on the car's history and absolutely, 100%, no question hurts the vehicles Fair Market Value.

Ford disagreed with me. Basically sounded as immature as the person I quoted here sounded. I requested a buyback 3 times with them. Denied every time. So, hired the attorney, filed the lawsuit, Ford lost, I'm in excellent financial standings due to their ignorance and refusal to admit their vehicle had issues and was devalued due to them.

My first motor went into my truck at less than 4k miles. I began having trouble at 750 miles. If you think I'm paying for a $50k truck with issues out the gate just because I like Ford, think again. Sorry if I knocked your fanboy glasses off, but if you have an issue Ford is the absolute worst at customer care. And, this being my 63rd Mustang, you can shove that "Go buy a Corolla" crap. Try to at least pretend you can have an adult conversation and provide some useful information other than name calling and insults.

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
I have gone through a successful buyback process after two engine failures. 1) Ford will follow the state laws to the letter and will be very honest whether your car meets the criteria or not; for CA, if the car was in the garage for more than 30 days it also qualified as a lemon in addition to the other test (3 attempt same issue etc); 2) they will not tell you nor the dealer what happened to the engine. In fact, the dealer is ONLY allowed to remove the oil pan, that's it. If they muck with it more before shipping back to Ford, dealer will not get paid; 3) like it or not, cars do suffer diminished value from an engine replacement, no matter how illogical. My R was sold at auction for a sizable discount (tagged as Lemon). I think it's much less of an issue for a car that will continue to depreciate for the foreseeable future (and this includes the R). I wouldn't view this as a collectible at this juncture; 4) the new engine revisions are making the engine more robust and I think you can actually feel the differences (my 19 engine felt stronger). 5) Once you are approved for a buyback, there is a lot of paperwork, but Ford does the customers right and they work with you to get your money back. I felt the company was concerned about its reputation and perception and really made an effort to make things right by standing behind their product.

Ultimately it was very exhausting dealing with two blown engines, ruined track days and subsequent assembly issues (ie coolant hoses blowing off post engine replacement), so I decided to move on. I think if you don't track the car, the probability of something happening again is very, very low with proper oil maintenance/checking.

OP
OP

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have gone through a successful buyback process after two engine failures. 1) Ford will follow the state laws to the letter and will be very honest whether your car meets the criteria or not; for CA, if the car was in the garage for more than 30 days it also qualified as a lemon in addition to the other test (3 attempt same issue etc); 2) they will not tell you nor the dealer what happened to the engine. In fact, the dealer is ONLY allowed to remove the oil pan, that's it. If they muck with it more before shipping back to Ford, dealer will not get paid; 3) like it or not, cars do suffer diminished value from an engine replacement, no matter how illogical. My R was sold at auction for a sizable discount (tagged as Lemon). I think it's much less of an issue for a car that will continue to depreciate for the foreseeable future (and this includes the R). I wouldn't view this as a collectible at this juncture; 4) the new engine revisions are making the engine more robust and I think you can actually feel the differences (my 19 engine felt stronger). 5) Once you are approved for a buyback, there is a lot of paperwork, but Ford does the customers right and they work with you to get your money back. I felt the company was concerned about its reputation and perception and really made an effort to make things right by standing behind their product.

Ultimately it was very exhausting dealing with two blown engines, ruined track days and subsequent assembly issues (ie coolant hoses blowing off post engine replacement), so I decided to move on. I think if you don't track the car, the probability of something happening again is very, very low with proper oil maintenance/checking.
wow, that is crazy. I am happy you at least got everything handled. I dont track my car much, so I will take what you said into consideration. Thank you

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
1) Ford will follow the state laws to the letter and will be very honest whether your car meets the criteria or not
That wasn't my experience, and the court agreed. Glad you had a better go though.
Sponsored