Sponsored

Are lowering springs pointless without upgraded shocks?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Wife "won't let" you? Is it your car or hers?
The car is his. But the driver is hers. :)

She is afraid if the SC makes him go too fast, he might not come back. Remember what happened to Bill the Chimney Sweep in Alice in Wonderland?
Sponsored

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Less aggressive rake.

The SP089 drops approx .875"

The SP082 (SP080 Rear springs) drop .50"

So the car will have less of a rake with that application, than the full SP080 Kit.

The combo you mention is VERY VERY VERY popular.:cheers:
Gotcha, I really want to drop the front more than the rear because our cars have the appearance of sitting higher in the front. I also don't want to drop the car so much that it becomes more of a liability as a DD. I'm really thinking this spring combo will give everything I want and be safe for my stock shocks. Thanks for the info.

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Absolutely not.

Our SP080 are designed specifically for OEM Dampers
How can you lower a car and not change anything? You lose compression and damping of the shock by what ever you lower the car by.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
How can you lower a car and not change anything? You lose compression and damping of the shock by what ever you lower the car by.
Well you do change things.

You shorten the bump stops a touch, so you are not riding on them the entire time.

You also adjust the alignment, specifically toe settings and camber if available.

That said, the OEM dampers are more than capable of handling around 1" of drop in front and 1/2" drop rear, like our springs provide.

When you say "lose" - yes, you do lose that available bump/compression travel. Luckily, the OEM dampers have enough room to shorten that in static form. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
So, would it be better to trim the stock jounces or buy a set of the ford racing ones that they offer for lowered cars?

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Shocks, now days called 'Dampers', which is what they do. Shrugs

I don't think that lowering springs are gonna do much to how they function. The exception being now they are shorter than designed and initial pressure in the damper has been increased, somewhat.

An inch-1/2 or so in a 9-inch travel? I don't think that is gonna be much of an issue, would be better in my mind being a bit stiffer. New shocks for suspension are usually harsher anyway, for traction, less sway etc.

Personally I would do adjustable if upgrading.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I've had H&R sport springs on my car with stock shocks for past two years, no issues yet thankfully. Will I be upgrading after the stock ones go bad? Hell yes. Just take your time, use up what came stock first then level up, unless you're in a hurry for whatever reason.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I installed H&R springs with about a 1.5" drop (not a Mustang), the stock struts held up well but are due for replacement after 100K miles. In other words, stock struts are not a problem.
Sponsored