Sponsored

It's Official: Corvette C8, 0-60MPH in 2.9, Qtr Mile 11.3 @ 121 MPH

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Coming from the Vette guys.. so take it with a grain of salt. If a 100hz logger can't catch the shift it would mean faster than 10ms.. doubtful but who knows. Isn't Porsche PDK claimed at 80ms or so?

For most it wouldn't make sense. But if it's going to be tracked it's a no-brainer add-on for the extra cooling, aero, and better gearing.
also better tires, better brakes, better suspension, and performance exhaust.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
0 to 100MPH for both cars is 7.6 seconds, after that, it's all GT500
You sold me even more on the C8.

Lets see. I've been on a drag strip 3 days in my life. Never did any high speed zero to x anywhere else with any other car in sight. Tons of road course time but never in a hurry from a dead stop there. But have done zero to 60 in anger a bazillion times. Plus the 'Vette is lighter so easier on gas, tires, brakes, etc, etc..

Almost like custom designed for me.

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
You sold me even more on the C8.

Lets see. I've been on a drag strip 3 days in my life. Never did any high speed zero to x anywhere else with any other car in sight. Tons of road course time but never in a hurry from a dead stop there. But have done zero to 60 in anger a bazillion times. Plus the 'Vette is lighter so easier on gas, tires, brakes, etc, etc..

Almost like custom designed for me.
LOL, I'm not trying to sell anyone on the C8.

Just pointing out the differences between the C8 & GT500.

I like em both for different reasons.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
no... probably wouldnt even beat a f150 with that launch. that was literally a display of a lack of traction lol..
This car could run a 9.9 and you would still find a way to rag on it.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
not proven yet, no video has convinced me of this yet. and on a prepped dragstrip I think the gt500 will obliterate it. 0-60 0-100 , trap , ET all are going to the GT500 IMO. especially if they put on a drag radial.

Buy the hype all you want though.
For the extra 15k it costs I hope the gt500 wins. I don't think the c8 has to worry, it's allowed to lose that race. The gt500 on the other hand, no pressure.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
0 to 100MPH for both cars is 7.6 seconds, after that, it's all GT500.

1-mile race GT500 will kill it.

I wouldn't say obliterate.

I think the C8 will be around 11.1/11.3, the GT500 10.9/11.0 for qtr mile. Probably come down to whoever gets the best traction off the line.
I agree with the c8 numbers, I think the gt500 will get to 10.7 - 10.8 in the quarter.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
True on all accounts. One additional fun fact, though...The Z51 does need 2 shifts to hit 2.9. But the base car only needs 1 shift to hit 3.0. Tadge Juechter explained that in an interview I read yesterday but I don't remember his explanation and I can't find the interview. If I do, I'll edit this post.
Probably rear end gearing

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So I guess the 500 is too much for some to deal with. They don't want to compare it to the ZL1 anymore. It gets compared to the Vette. And not just any Vette, the grand, glorious mid-engine pinnacle of GM engineering. Be interesting to see what how the Mustang stacks up. If it wins in ANY performance metric, then the Vette rep takes a significant hit. A 5 year old platform of generally accepted lesser class versus a brand new platform 2 seater Vette. Interesting.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
So I guess the 500 is too much for some to deal with. They don't want to compare it to the ZL1 anymore. It gets compared to the Vette. And not just any Vette, the grand, glorious mid-engine pinnacle of GM engineering. Be interesting to see what how the Mustang stacks up. If it wins in ANY performance metric, then the Vette rep takes a significant hit. A 5 year old platform of generally accepted lesser class versus a brand new platform 2 seater Vette. Interesting.
I don't think it is accurate to say that nobody wants to compare the GT500 to the ZL1 anymore. I know there are plenty of folks in the Camaro world who are eager to see this. And plenty who think the GT500 won't stand a chance against the ZL1-1LE. But the C8 just stole a lot of thunder and attention from the Camaro. It is the latest and greatest thing. And it is in the spotlight now. So that is why it is being compared to the GT500 now. I'm not sure how the GT500 will fare against either of those two cars at anything but the quarter mile. I think it will beat the C8 by about 5 tenths. It'll probably best the ZL1 by about 7 tenths. That is if they can get it to hook. But on track I think its anyone's game. It will be interesting to see the results.

Whatever happens I do believe that the first testing we will see will be the GT500 vs the ZL1 whether it be Base vs ZL1 or whatever version against the other. Right now there are 2 variants of the GT500, 4 variants of the ZL1, and 3 variants of the C8. So it'll be interesting to see how they all measure up to each other. Then the Hellcats and Redeyes will have their shot and there are 3 total variants of those. And then a free for all. Could you imagine if a mag got all 12 versions of these cars on one track for one day and let them all battle?

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I don't think it is accurate to say that nobody wants to compare the GT500 to the ZL1 anymore. I know there are plenty of folks in the Camaro world who are eager to see this. And plenty who think the GT500 won't stand a chance against the ZL1-1LE. But the C8 just stole a lot of thunder and attention from the Camaro. It is the latest and greatest thing. And it is in the spotlight now. So that is why it is being compared to the GT500 now. I'm not sure how the GT500 will fare against either of those two cars at anything but the quarter mile. I think it will beat the C8 by about 5 tenths. It'll probably best the ZL1 by about 7 tenths. That is if they can get it to hook. But on track I think its anyone's game. It will be interesting to see the results.

Whatever happens I do believe that the first testing we will see will be the GT500 vs the ZL1 whether it be Base vs ZL1 or whatever version against the other. Right now there are 2 variants of the GT500, 4 variants of the ZL1, and 3 variants of the C8. So it'll be interesting to see how they all measure up to each other. Then the Hellcats and Redeyes will have their shot and there are 3 total variants of those. And then a free for all. Could you imagine if a mag got all 12 versions of these cars on one track for one day and let them all battle?
That would be quite the dream, wouldn't it?

would be a coup for all the mags teamwork together and do a full day/week of testing the same cars - that way they actually could accomplish this - but then of course it would be very hard to cover bias.

I'm a huge fan of the ZL1. But I don't think it stacks up so well here. I think it will be competitive, but on the losing side in pretty much every category. time will tell.

The Mustang seems to be threatening the C8 as well. And the Vette is indeed a bargain at the price. So it gets props. But the 500 gets even more if it's competitive with C8.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

I think in the end its going to be compared different ways depending on what aisle youre sitting on. Ive always compared the 4cyl mustang against the 4cyl camaro, v6 vs v6, SS vs GT, SS 1LE vs GT pp1 and now pp2, ZL1 vs GT350 and ZL1 1LE vs GT350R. mainly because price. When i cross shopped 45k cars i looked at the 1LE, 392 T/A and GT pp1, i got the GT because it was a 50k car at 39k OTD. Here in M6G i see people compare the SS with the pp1 and pp2 and the SS 1LE with the GT350/R the ZL1 didnt have a comparison because "wait for GT500" its FI.. you cant compare.... but you can based on price. Now the GM fanbois are going to say you cant compare a 100k GT500 vs a 70k ZL1 1LE... Mustang fanbois are going to say they both are FI to compare them.. honestly we hope the 2020 GT500 can beat a 4-5 year old design.

also to say if a 760hp car beats a 485hp engine car in any performance metric is kinda narrowminded right? no doubt what will win a 1/2 mile race, maybe even a 1/4 mile.. it should and we hope it does.. We better hope it doesnt take a 100k carbon pack mustang to beat a base z51 c8.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ahhhhhh the great race to 60.:facepalm:
Sponsored