Sponsored

Rock Chips on Front Bumper!!

Deleted member 35644

I'm proud to say, and prolly jinx myself in the process, but I'm 7900 miles into this and no, zero, none, nada, zip, rock chips. Does anyone else have the Resistall coating offered by the dealer? It came with a nice warranty. Even Love Bug splats rinse off with a hose.
Dude, you should not have put that statement out into the universe. You're bound to get a fist-sized rock chip now.
Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, does that Resistall thing actually work?
I often find dealerships trying to sell all sorts during the finance conversation. Hence, my question...

I'm proud to say, and prolly jinx myself in the process, but I'm 7900 miles into this and no, zero, none, nada, zip, rock chips. Does anyone else have the Resistall coating offered by the dealer? It came with a nice warranty. Even Love Bug splats rinse off with a hose.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I often find dealerships trying to sell all sorts during the finance conversation. Hence, my question...
It works extra good if you roll the cost into your loan :crackup:

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Give it up boss. This is a battle you're most likely going to lose. I know from experience.
Haha! I have to surrender. Sucks when you have a brand new car and a rock chip.

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Its like a pair of new shoes, I used to obsess about rock chips, now it’s almost a weekly occurrence out in Colorado. I do the quickest touch up every now and then and move on. You’ll get over it with time, just enjoy the ride.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
It has worked for me so far. The car was new this past April as an unwanted left over '18. The application was $300, heavily negotiated since I was paying cash, and has a 7 year warranty as long as it gets reapplied annually. They supplied me with the kit to do this. Bird bombs, acid rain, rock chips, paint free dent repair are all covered as long as I attempt to clean the offending substance. The interior is covered as well for stains and tears. Also, any wheel damage/rash will be repaired (not replaced).

I have not opened the box yet to see what's in there. The dealer told me when applying, just wipe it on all surfaces/seats just avoid the tires and flat black paint like the wiper arms. They even coated under the hood because the decal that came with my K&N filter wouldn't stick anywhere under there. I plan to have the outside detailed in a few months because there are some rain spots that the dealer sealed over, then I'll reapply. Dealer said that no wax is needed, just keep it clean.

Here's the part that amazes me: The car gets washed almost every week, but I have actually put a cloth to the finish exactly twice, both times because of grass clippings (another story). My wash is at the self service spray bay. $1 high pressure soap with hot water, $1 high pressure rinse, $1 spot free rinse. The only thing I wipe down is the glass and outside mirrors. You can Google it and buy the same box kit for $39, but probably no warranty. Worth a look for those of us that would rather have more driving time on the weekends.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I've been there with ya! My 1st chip came in pairs and I was heartbroken. I'd spend hours with the Motorcraft pen, buffing, and polishing. 10,000 miles later, I just started rubbing some Dr. Colorchip in them and calling it a day.

You're the only person who will notice them even if you completely left them alone. People just see a cool car with a fresh coat of paint.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I gave up on day one. The car had TWO rock chips the day I picked it up. And NEITHER of them were on the front of the car! This paint is the crappiest I've ever owned on any car. The dealership owner offered to pay for me to have it fixed at the body shop he usually uses, but they wanted to paint the whole quarter panel and door. I ended up with a Ford touch up pen instead (understandable), I even collected some cleaner/prep, 2500 grit wet sand paper, polishing compound and watched hours of DIY YouTube, but I haven't conjured up the courage to go at it yet. I also called every shop in town and nobody wants to fix chips via touch-up, they just want to paint the whole panel.

Car has about 10 significant rock chips now, only two of them are on the front. One of the newest ones is on the underside of the hood's leading edge. On the part that touches the rubber seal completely invisible until you open and lift the hood. (I have never closed the hood on any tools either.)

Maybe I should revisit the DIY option now that there are more and I can practice on some of the new ones that are less visible...

If only we could pay a little extra for a decent paint job from the factory... oh wait, I already did.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
With all the stuff hitting the front end on a road trip, I wouldn't leave home without one. Wish they made one for my Caddie. Just the fact of no bugs stuck in the radiator makes it worthwhile. PS, ugly? I don't think so.
IMG_1538.jpg

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
You're the only person who will notice them even if you completely left them alone. People just see a cool car with a fresh coat of paint.
+1. It appears that at least the primer is good quality, so they shouldn't rust out. Not long ago at the gas station (so closer inspection than usual) a guy asked if my car was brand new. "Nope, 3 years old," I told him. He said, "Wow, you must take good care of it... still looks new".

(If he only knew...)

He also asked me to start it up so he could hear the rumble...

I've had more than a half dozen other drivers go out of their way to pull up next to me and comment on the Mustang (not including foot traffic in parking lots and gas stations). I'd be curious to know how many of those more expensive performance cars also get this type of attention? Maybe I'll have to ask some coworkers... There are Challengers, Lexus, and even a Corvette in the parking lot. There are more Mustangs than all the others combined.

Last edited:

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
PS, ugly? I don't think so.
IMG_1538.jpg
That's where you're wrong :wink:... Is this an "old guy" thing? Why would anyone put pantyhose on a mustang???

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
+1. It appears that at least the primer is good quality, so they shouldn't rust out. Not long ago at the gas station (so closer inspection than usual) a guy asked if my car was brand new. "Nope, 3 years old," I told him. He said, "Wow, you must take good care of it... still looks new".

(If he only knew...)

He also asked me to start it up so he could hear the rumble...

I've had more than a half dozen other drivers go out of their way to pull up next to me and comment on the Mustang (not including foot traffic in parking lots and gas stations). I'd be curious to know how many of those more expensive performance cars also get this type of attention? Maybe I'll have to ask some coworkers... There are Challengers, Lexus, and even a Corvette in the parking lot. There are more Mustangs than all the others combined.

Yup, same here. At a gas station... dude in a new Corvette slammed his brakes, backed up, and got out of his car to tell me how nice my Mustang looks. The following week, a dude in a Jaguar gives me the same compliments in a grocery parking lot. About 10 chips all over it and half of those I had not touched yet, lol!

I've never had a car so prone to chips, but I've never had a car get so many compliments. It's almost weekly.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That's where you're wrong :wink:... Is this an "old guy" thing? Why would anyone put pantyhose on a mustang???
Hey bro, let's see your car! Do you even have a Mustang? All your posts seem negative...why is that? Not every solution has to be "pretty" and if it is not your car, why so critical? You can say it's not for you and not put someone down at the same time.....you know that right?

Deleted member 35644

Beauty must suffer, as they say. I strapped on my black Naugahyde bras and wore them with pride. Bra > Rock Chips.
Sponsored