Sponsored

Turbo gen 2 voodoo?

dblcbra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350R, 2019 mustang Ecoboost, 2017 gt350(sold), 1996 xlt bronco (351), 1995 cobra, 1993 lx
What are your thoughts on turboing the gen 2 voodoo? I had seen many post about people worried about blowing their motors with the gen 1 motors, but with the changes that have come for the 2019s, would this be a safer route?
Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
What are your thoughts on turboing the gen 2 voodoo? I had seen many post about people worried about blowing their motors with the gen 1 motors, but with the changes that have come for the 2019s, would this be a safer route?
The block is indeed stronger and I think it could handle the power output of current forced induction setups fine with good reliability. But like anything higher HP applications is trial and error so someone will probs have to blow the engine to find its limit.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
While the block is definitely a step up from the Gen 1 block for FI, there are some other areas that are still not designed for it - namely the compression ration and valvetrain. As @Bulldogs22 said, it'll be trial and error. I highly recommend speaking to FatHouse. They have a ton of experience with Voodoos specifically and give you a good direction. It's not that the Voodoo can't handle boost, but that you need to understand the limits of it and I don't think anyone understands that better than Fathouse.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
While the block is definitely a step up from the Gen 1 block for FI, there are some other areas that are still not designed for it - namely the compression ration and valvetrain. As @Bulldogs22 said, it'll be trial and error. I highly recommend speaking to FatHouse. They have a ton of experience with Voodoos specifically and give you a good direction. It's not that the Voodoo can't handle boost, but that you need to understand the limits of it and I don't think anyone understands that better than Fathouse.
Block strength is rarely the limiting factor in force induction at least not at first.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Block strength is rarely the limiting factor in force induction at least not at first.
The changes for boost are more than just strength though...they made changes to the water cooling jackets, oil squirters, etc. Additionally some changes were made to the piston/rings, etc. that are also better suited for boost.

Still not ideal, tho.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The changes for boost are more than just strength though...they made changes to the water cooling jackets, oil squirters, etc. Additionally some changes were made to the piston/rings, etc. that are also better suited for boost.

Still not ideal, tho.
I didnt read all the changes at glance based on what I saw compression will still limit you before block strength or heat killed the engine. Unless you are running e85 or something.

Changes to the rings "could" be worse for FI.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
You can get some reliable low-medium boost on the Gen 2.

NUTNDUN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Most of it is going to be how good the tune is. With variable valve timing compression isn't as big of a factor like it used to be to an extent.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I thought they were the same block
The Voodoo block is further reinforced in many areas such as the water jackets, the valley, the head bolt bores, etc etc. The Voodoo block uses the Coyote block as a framework, it's not just a bored out Coyote.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
FatHouse has the turbo game down. They have quite a few cars out there running, and I have yet to see a post about one of there builds breaking down. Now they are expensive......but I guess for peace of mind, for some it's worth it. I would not mind doing there 800 build. Just cannot justify the money to do the build.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I thought they were the same block
The Voodoo block is further reinforced in many areas such as the water jackets, the valley, the head bolt bores, etc etc. The Voodoo block uses the Coyote block as a framework, it's not just a bored out Coyote.
Yes, definitely different blocks.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Not as different as you may think .

The Gen 3 voodoo has the same valley (with the cast in braces ) and longer 12 mm head bolts .

The deck surface is different with the Coyote being more open
F29D4BD2-C4AB-432B-8B14-98E7D7D537D8.jpeg
BB256AFA-06EC-473A-89A1-A9AC08A37BAA.jpeg

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I thought the gen 2 voodoo (2019+) had all of those improvements (Same as GT500 block) and that the gen 1 voodoo (15-18) was essentially the gen 2 coyote block, with the coyote (2011-17) having iron sleeve/liners and the voodoo having pwta. I could be wrong but that’s what I remember.
Sponsored