Sponsored

2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Yep picked up a new 18 .One night I wanted to read up on the oil people are using. That's when I came across this site and discovered all the negativity. Kind of sad really. Anyways I have owned manuals all my life. Last one was a e39 m. This morning, still tired, I was merging onto the parkway. This was one of those 75 yard country ramps. Was in 1st gear, car was coming up quick, like I said I was really tired and did the worst 1 2 3 shifts of my life. I heard the grind and said to myself, so I guess the grind is because some people should of opted for the auto.
Thank you. This site had me sick to my stomach when I first joined. After many months it has passed and I now look back and laugh.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
That's the best advice for all the misfortune souls who ended up with a $40k+ turd and it's exactly what I did. Drove it back to one of the Ford junk yards, they took the piece of shit back, I got 99.4% of my money back and moved on to better things.

Another SOB who is extremely happy with their car while also having a lifetime subscription to the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" sub-forum.:cwl:
Learn to drive a clutch you peace of crap:cwl:

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's the best advice for all the misfortune souls who ended up with a $40k+ turd and it's exactly what I did. Drove it back to one of the Ford junk yards, they took the piece of shit back, I got 99.4% of my money back and moved on to better things.

Another SOB who is extremely happy with their car while also having a lifetime subscription to the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" sub-forum.:cwl:
Why are you still on here if you lemoned the car and hate Ford so much now? If I didn't have my Mustang anymore I'd be on to different things.

Sponsored

anyjuan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So I have the same issue in a brand new 2019 gt pp1. I thought I was just not throwing them gears right cause it only does it if I engage too early. Whatever feather I’ve ever done with other cars on this car I have to decrease it by 90%...

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
So I have the same issue in a brand new 2019 gt pp1. I thought I was just not throwing them gears right cause it only does it if I engage too early. Whatever feather I’ve ever done with other cars on this car I have to decrease it by 90%...
Yes, it's absolutely normal on any twin disc clutch systems. It's even worse on a none dual mass flywheel (Driven NSX with 3 disc clutch) basically on off switch.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My nov. 2017 build 2018 GT was great from the dealership, then after about 400 miles started getting the grinding sound and feeling a grind going into 3rd. Also started getting lock out shifting above 7300.. then 7000. Finally I couldn’t shift anywhere close to quick above 6300 rpm. There were the “learn how to drive” comments every where, yet 2 other 18+ cars never had a issue with me driving them. Guess I forgot how to drive when I hop back in my own car. Finally at 6500 the fork broke, they replaced most the internals, white pieces of plastic was every where. No real metal shavings though. Before they put it back in I bought a Mantic. Now zero issues.. none... no chatter, no “it’s a twin disc clutch thing” rattle, grind, nothing... my last ford though.. I shouldn’t have to pay $2k+ to have a properly working car.. especially when I know many that have zero issues.. I’ll keep this until I’m bored with it then moving on to a C8, RAM Limited, or used AMG GTc

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
My nov. 2017 build 2018 GT was great from the dealership, then after about 400 miles started getting the grinding sound and feeling a grind going into 3rd. Also started getting lock out shifting above 7300.. then 7000. Finally I couldn’t shift anywhere close to quick above 6300 rpm. There were the “learn how to drive” comments every where, yet 2 other 18+ cars never had a issue with me driving them. Guess I forgot how to drive when I hop back in my own car. Finally at 6500 the fork broke, they replaced most the internals, white pieces of plastic was every where. No real metal shavings though. Before they put it back in I bought a Mantic. Now zero issues.. none... no chatter, no “it’s a twin disc clutch thing” rattle, grind, nothing... my last ford though.. I shouldn’t have to pay $2k+ to have a properly working car.. especially when I know many that have zero issues.. I’ll keep this until I’m bored with it then moving on to a C8, RAM Limited, or used AMG GTc

Must have man handled it too aggressively when new. I've bought 2 brand new manual cars in the last couple years. The SI definitely needed some miles on it and a fluid change to get buttery smooth and sustain heavy spirited shifts, The mustangs has broken in nicely without a need to change fluids but I suspect new fluid will help in smoothness. most of the lock out is a new transmission with tight tolerances and an engine that rev-hangs. The SI was the same until I tuned the rev hang out plus other changes mentioned. Slow your shifts down and have mechanical mercy, no one is paying you to win a race out on the streets.

The mantic 9000 has springs to keep the discs from dragging on high rpm fast shifts and rattling OEM does not. Again it's a mass produced car not an all out 1/4 mile car designed for fast lighting shifts. You should have modded it with the mantic 9000 to begin with before complaining about it. No car is perfect. For me I don't mind slowing my shifts since no one is paying me to win a race on the streets and save myself the headache and expense of installing a mantic 9000 clutch when I have a perfectly good one.

For example my stock 2004 S2000's would slip the clutch disk if i shifted too fast because the flywheel in the AP2 version was much heavier than in AP1 and honda just slapped on the same pressure plate and disk on a heavier flywheel and then you get clutch slip when shifting fast at high rpm. Easy solution slow down your shifts or install an ap1 flywheel or a stronger PP and clutch. NO car is perfect out of the box.

I'm sure the C8, RAM Limited, or used AMG GTc will have their drawbacks and you will find something that will break if manhandled

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Or
Must have man handled it too aggressively when new. I've bought 2 brand new manual cars in the last couple years. The SI definitely needed some miles on it and a fluid change to get buttery smooth and sustain heavy spirited shifts, The mustangs has broken in nicely without a need to change fluids but I suspect new fluid will help in smoothness. most of the lock out is a new transmission with tight tolerances and an engine that rev-hangs. The SI was the same until I tuned the rev hang out plus other changes mentioned. Slow your shifts down and have mechanical mercy, no one is paying you to win a race out on the streets.

The mantic 9000 has springs to keep the discs from dragging on high rpm fast shifts and rattling OEM does not. Again it's a mass produced car not an all out 1/4 mile car designed for fast lighting shifts. You should have modded it with the mantic 9000 to begin with before complaining about it. No car is perfect. For me I don't mind slowing my shifts since no one is paying me to win a race on the streets and save myself the headache and expense of installing a mantic 9000 clutch when I have a perfectly good one.

For example my stock 2004 S2000's would slip the clutch disk if i shifted too fast because the flywheel in the AP2 version was much heavier than in AP1 and honda just slapped on the same pressure plate and disk on a heavier flywheel and then you get clutch slip when shifting fast at high rpm. Easy solution slow down your shifts or install an ap1 flywheel or a stronger PP and clutch. NO car is perfect out of the box.

I'm sure the C8, RAM Limited, or used AMG GTc will have their drawbacks and you will find something that will break if manhandled
maybe... my trans and clutch was just one of those that was bad... I know it’s crazy but... maybe.. lightening quick? I could count to 2 before I could shift. It’s not a lie, not a exaggeration I could press the clutch down, pull it out of first count to 2 and then it would go in. Anything faster was locked out. First time I even tried a “fast” shift was over 750 miles on it... again... maybe some cars have issues others don’t.. the whole “ I’ve beat my mt82 like a red headed step child with a whipple into the 9’s” all stock and others have issues.. so every car I’ve had until now in the last 25 years have been bulletproof and my mustang is glass... and no one is saying cars are perfect. I’m saying my car had issues, other cars didn’t that I drove. So if it was “ me not knowing how to drive” why didn’t those other cars, beat way more then mine ever has been as it’s a weekend toy and just hit 6700 miles in 16 months, not have issues and mine started the grinding, lockout and other things that lots of people complain about? No one should have to literally slow their shifts down to 2 seconds before you can shift over 6k. If you enjoy your car that way that’s fine, but to say I have to wait 2 seconds between shifts is making excuses for ford and the mustang

Sponsored

anyjuan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Is it normal for it to grind or is it normal that I should feather much less than I did with other cars? My last 6 speed was a 2008 350z.

Yes, it's absolutely normal on any twin disc clutch systems. It's even worse on a none dual mass flywheel (Driven NSX with 3 disc clutch) basically on off switch.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

This transmission is the worst part about the car. They should have ditched it for the 2018. When mine is cold, it makes all kinds of noises in 1st and 2nd, along with shifts. It also clunks when shifting into first at a stoplight. When I have the time, I am changing the fluid and looking at other mods to try and bandaid the trans/clutch system. But don't blame the users. The MT82 has a long history of issues.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
Or

maybe... my trans and clutch was just one of those that was bad... I know it’s crazy but... maybe.. lightening quick? I could count to 2 before I could shift. It’s not a lie, not a exaggeration I could press the clutch down, pull it out of first count to 2 and then it would go in. Anything faster was locked out. First time I even tried a “fast” shift was over 750 miles on it... again... maybe some cars have issues others don’t.. the whole “ I’ve beat my mt82 like a red headed step child with a whipple into the 9’s” all stock and others have issues.. so every car I’ve had until now in the last 25 years have been bulletproof and my mustang is glass... and no one is saying cars are perfect. I’m saying my car had issues, other cars didn’t that I drove. So if it was “ me not knowing how to drive” why didn’t those other cars, beat way more then mine ever has been as it’s a weekend toy and just hit 6700 miles in 16 months, not have issues and mine started the grinding, lockout and other things that lots of people complain about? No one should have to literally slow their shifts down to 2 seconds before you can shift over 6k. If you enjoy your car that way that’s fine, but to say I have to wait 2 seconds between shifts is making excuses for ford and the mustang
Then it may have very well had issues. Once my car is warmed up i have no issue's chirping into 2nd and 3rd gear... no lock outs no problems

This transmission is the worst part about the car. They should have ditched it for the 2018. When mine is cold, it makes all kinds of noises in 1st and 2nd, along with shifts. It also clunks when shifting into first at a stoplight. When I have the time, I am changing the fluid and looking at other mods to try and bandaid the trans/clutch system. But don't blame the users. The MT82 has a long history of issues.
That's normal for ALL manual transmissions. I haven't owned a manual car that shifted smoothly and perfectly when cold. The clunking is normal and due to the lash present in the final drive will always be there on a driveshaft rwd platform. Even brand new manual BMW M3's have that "clunk". Mind you I find the new M3's even the E90' M3 manual drivetrain feel to be trash. They have way too much compliance built in and feels like rubber when going on and off the accelerator. The Mustang Manual feels 10000% better

It's simpy the synchro quickly taking up the driveline slack as it brings the trans internals to a stop. The engine and wheels are not connected solidly and have some slack built in the assembly. How is this not obvious? If the car clunks and lurches forward then it's an issue but otherwise it's normal.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That's normal for ALL manual transmissions. I haven't owned a manual car that shifted smoothly and perfectly when cold. The clunking is normal and due to the lash present in the final drive will always be there on a driveshaft rwd platform. Even brand new manual BMW M3's have that "clunk". Mind you I find the new M3's even the E90' M3 manual drivetrain feel to be trash. They have way too much compliance built in and feels like rubber when going on and off the accelerator. The Mustang Manual feels 10000% better

It's simpy the synchro quickly taking up the driveline slack as it brings the trans internals to a stop. The engine and wheels are not connected solidly and have some slack built in the assembly. How is this not obvious? If the car clunks and lurches forward then it's an issue but otherwise it's normal.
The noises made by my MT82 aren't "normal" trans/clutch noises. I have owned 15 manual vehicles over the course of the last 20 years, and none have sounded like this car. None of my cars have had an aggressive clunk shifting into 1st with the clutch in. The GT350 doesn't clunk either, as confirmed by my friends and the youtube reviews I have seen. None of my other transmissions had whirring noises or rattles when cold. If you read and watch the reviews of the GT, a regular topic is how they should have ditched the horrible MT82. Our BMW 6-spd is wonderful. Shifts smoothly, no clunks, no grinds, and no weird noises when cold. Sure, it is a bit stiffer in cold weather, but all transmissions are.

Is this the worst transmission in the world? No, certainly not. Is it a "good" transmission? Hell no. At best, it's a cheap mediocre trans that is being used as a way to cut some costs. It has ok performance with acceptable levels of noise and failures (for Ford). I understand that some people feel the need to defend their cars on here, but let's not kid ourselves. This car would be better with the Tremec from the Camaro. One of the major factors that would push me towards the purchase of a GT350 is the transmission. There is hope though. Many people on the forum have stated that a simple fluid change and a couple of affordable mods will make the issues with the MT-82 less noticeable. That stuff is all on the list before doing anything else to this car.

Speaking of synchros, it is amazing that 13 years after the start of the S197 synchro issues, Getrag still can't get things just right. My 2008 had the same issue 3 times. They finally replaced the whole trans, which I am guessing also caused issues for the next owner.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is it normal for it to grind or is it normal that I should feather much less than I did with other cars? My last 6 speed was a 2008 350z.
If you feather less, the grinding won't be as bad. If you practically start dumping the clutch every time you shift, you'll barely notice it. I think the grinding comes down to build quality. There are plenty of 18/19s which don't grind regardless of how much you feather. Also, the GT350 has a twin disk clutch and I've never seen anyone mention anything about grinding when shifting.

Just watch the video below at 5:30.

Sponsored