Sponsored

is doing exhaust on a 2019 GT necessary?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT M6
hi guys, I have a 2019 mustang GT 6 speed manual. it's a base GT with no options, so it doesn't have active exhaust either. I was wondering if doing exhaust is necessary because I think the stock exhaust sounds good. I like the little pops it makes. what do you guys think?
Sponsored

loubear911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
hi guys, I have a 2019 mustang GT 6 speed manual. it's a base GT with no options, so it doesn't have active exhaust either. I was wondering if doing exhaust is necessary because I think the stock exhaust sounds good. I like the little pops it makes. what do you guys think?
I have the active exhaust and was going to put a ford performance X pipe on to delete the resonator. I broke my mustang in by taking a 3K trip up to Minnesota from Kansas. I am rethinking about putting the X pipe on now because I am liking the sound as it is.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Nope not necessary at all, 95% of the people that have altered the exhaust in their S550’s have changed their cat-back or axle-back simply because they don’t like OEM exhaust sound. The other 5% change the exhaust searching for a little extra power as most manufacturers claim a small bump in hp due to better flow, etc

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Purely subjective. If you like the way it sounds, leave it just like it is and enjoy it. I have active exhaust on mine and leave it in Normal most of the time. I like how Sport and Track sound, but for the day to day, Normal is just fine. I do like the quiet starts, though. Ok, to be more accurate, my neighbors like the quiet starts. I have it set to quiet start between 5am and 8am.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Not necessary in my opinion. The stock exhaust does sound nice. I went with a Borla S Type cat back mostly for the black exhaust tips. It gives a deeper sound than stock and is a little louder. I doubt that it increases horsepower much, if at all. I’m thinking it saves a little weight without the stock resonator.

Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
The sound of my base 2018 GT is one of the things that impressed me on the test drive. Never heard a Mustang sound so good right out of the factory.

However I decided to go for a bit more loud and try the Borla S Type catback.

Way too loud and not the tone I was looking for at all. Made the car an annoyance to drive.

I'm back to stock with no regrets, and I sold the S Type to a member here.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
If you like how the stock exhaust sounds then keep it.

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
I’d recommend getting an x pipe and keeping the stock mufflers definitely sounds better without any drone on the inside. Exterior wise sounds amazing!!

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Necessary? Of course not.

Cheapest way to go would be dump the stock resonator, you can do it for about $100 or so. I personally would recommend an H pipe over an X, but that's my preference.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Of course not but it's a lot of fun... but... If you put something on like a Roush AB and have weird late or early hours don't... It's like having a neighbor blowing a Army wake up bugle at 4 a.m. on cold start. Then if you add an Xpipe or Hpipe to that hot mess (I love my hot mess) it's bonkers at cold start. I get dirty looks from the lady across the street from me and all her dogs bark at me. My Harley neighbors get a kick out of it but still.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
IMHO, without the active exhaust, I wouldn't touch it, especially if it's a daily car and you being in Washington means you'll have some mean cold starts in the colder months. If you have a garage and aren't worried about waking up your house depending on your hours, or at your office/wherever you work....I'd go with the H-pipe and be done with it. It's cheap and sounds amazing, but at that point it might get too loud after a while.

I'm unsure, but I'm sure somebody here knows; if you get a car without the active exhaust, are the mufflers the same, just without the valve? Like if you cut out your resonator and put an X or an H in there, does it technically run like track mode (fully open) on the active vehicles?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
The stock 18+ exhaust is actually really good. If you don't like it, you can put an X or H pipe on it and it will sound better.
Sponsored