Sponsored

2017 GT350 Engine toast, buy back process?

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As others have mentioned, they’re not replacing your engine with a 2017 5.2L but the upgraded 2019 5.2L. The 2019 5.2L doesn’t have the oil consumption issues like the earlier iterations.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
End of day I would be thrilled to get a new engine in my 2 year old used car for free. Hell some people with perfectly good engines Im sure would take the new and improved version if it was free. I mean My engines fine but if in two years it is stil running great and ford said hey you want this brand new one that's new and improved for free i would say hell yeah rip the old one out. IM simple lost on someone being upset over getting a new engine. I mean you are getting a zero mile improved engine. Take it and run. :) sure I mean your upset over the other one being blown and you want your car back I get it. but heck you are getting a new engine I would be more than excited.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
End of day I would be thrilled to get a new engine in my 2 year old used car for free. Hell some people with perfectly good engines Im sure would take the new and improved version if it was free. I mean My engines fine but if in two years it is stil running great and ford said hey you want this brand new one that's new and improved for free i would say hell yeah rip the old one out. IM simple lost on someone being upset over getting a new engine. I mean you are getting a zero mile improved engine. Take it and run. :) sure I mean your upset over the other one being blown and you want your car back I get it. but heck you are getting a new engine I would be more than excited.
Exactly, op is the type of dude that would win the lotto and be pissed off because he has to pay taxes on it...

You cant win with some people...

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Sell your car.... Buy a Corolla... You're not built for this...

You're bitching now with a warranty that you are CHOOSING to not accept... How the hell are u going to handle ownership out of warranty?

Seriously why did you even buy the warranty if you don't want them to honor it...

Bringing up Lemon law... You're truly unbelievable... Wow... Just wow...

Tell us how you really feel............................................................................................... By the way, I agree.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@3star2nr

It’s one thing to post your opinions or even help, but it’s another to keep bashing the OP or members of this site with multiple posts in the same thread. It’s really uncalled for and I’m sure everyone who has read your post after post gets your point and feeling on the matter.

He did ask a legit question and in no instance did he ask to be called out or to be slammed for posting a valid thread. Flip the tables, if you had any issue with your S550 where you asked legit questions to get forum input, I’m sure you wouldn’t want anyone jumping your case for no reason at all.

————

The member who posted a blurb about the OH Lemon Law info - thanks, but that’s not the big picture. Here’s the big picture that the OP or anyone in Ohio needs to know:
OHIO’S LEMON LAW
You are covered by Ohio’s Lemon Law if the problems with your new motor vehicle occurred in the first 12 months or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you have problems with your vehicle during this protection period, take the vehicle back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask them to fix it. The manufacturer must be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

If the problem is not corrected, you might be eligible for a refund or replacement. You are covered by the Lemon Law even if the problem was discovered late in the protection period, and the repair attempts may extend beyond the protection period (first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first).

How can I protect myself?
If you buy a new vehicle, take the following precautions in case it turns out to be a lemon. It will cost you nothing if you do. It could cost you thousands of dollars if you do not.
  • Keep good records. Your best protection is to maintain a complete, accurate maintenance history.
  • Keep all warranty and repair orders. Each order should contain a fully itemized list of repairs, the cost of repairs and the length of time the car was in the shop. Check every work order you receive to make sure it includes all this information, even if the work was done under warranty.
  • Write down your vehicle’s problems and defects. Give a copy of the list to the service person at the dealership. Each time you take your car in for a repair, describe any recurring problems the same way.
  • Read and understand your owner’s manual. Follow all the maintenance requirements. If the manufacturer can show that you have not maintained your car properly, you might not be eligible for a refund or replacement.
If you buy a used car, check the vehicle’s history to see if it has been branded a lemon. Check with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at www.bmv.ohio.gov and the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System at www.vehiclehistory.gov.

Has the manufacturer had a reasonable opportunity to repair the vehicle?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the following four questions, the manufacturer is presumed to have had a reasonable opportunity to repair your vehicle under Ohio law.

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
  • Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem either continues to exist or occurs again?
  • Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first?
  • Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems?
  • Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?
If you answered “yes” to at least one of these four questions, you have the legal right to ask the manufacturer to replace the lemon or refund the entire purchase price.
The rest of the OH LL is HERE, right from the Ohio State Attorney General’s site:
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...s/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws
—————

The question regarding the 3-strike rule for a Lemon Claim. That is true in *some* States, however it’s not only 3 attempts at repair to be able to initiate a Lemon claim. Other factors come into play as well, again depending on X-State’s Lemon Law. This is why I tell anyone contemplating making a claim to always review their State’s Lemon Law and know it. Even after initiating a claim, there’s a process that has to be followed in order to complete such a claim successfully.

As I have previously stated to the OP, he HAS to give Ford the opportunity to repair the vehicle AND that is made very clear in the above quoted material from the OH Lemon Law.

People just can’t claim “lemon” and be compensated; there is an entire process laid out within each State’s Lemon Law. Ford Corp. plus Ford RAV adheres to those imposed State Lemon Laws and does not deviate from it. The BBB Autoline also references and adheres to the same (if folks file through BBB). In order to win a claim, it’s based on legitimacy, facts and meeting all of the required provisions of that State’s Lemon Law.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
If it blows more than once, you might have a case for Lemon law or buy back or whatever, but sounds like they are going to take care of you under warranty. Take the upgraded 2019 engine and drive the car as intended.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Exactly, op is the type of dude that would win the lotto and be pissed off because he has to pay taxes on it...

You cant win with some people...
Have you ever had to Lemon a car? I don't think so. You sound like you're preaching from the mountain, but you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

I just lemoned my 2018 F-150. 8k miles and it was on it's third motor. To anyone saying engine replacements do not hurt vehicle value: you are wrong. It shows on the car's history and absolutely, 100%, no question hurts the vehicles Fair Market Value.

Ford disagreed with me. Basically sounded as immature as the person I quoted here sounded. I requested a buyback 3 times with them. Denied every time. So, hired the attorney, filed the lawsuit, Ford lost, I'm in excellent financial standings due to their ignorance and refusal to admit their vehicle had issues and was devalued due to them.

My first motor went into my truck at less than 4k miles. I began having trouble at 750 miles. If you think I'm paying for a $50k truck with issues out the gate just because I like Ford, think again. Sorry if I knocked your fanboy glasses off, but if you have an issue Ford is the absolute worst at customer care. And, this being my 63rd Mustang, you can shove that "Go buy a Corolla" crap. Try to at least pretend you can have an adult conversation and provide some useful information other than name calling and insults.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
@ Blue_Thunder: You did have your engine replace 3 separate times, so your case was easier to define and win. Not sure why Ford gave you crap about a buyback. In the OP case he has a issue and does not want the dealer to do the repair without a tear-down first. I understand he did not mention that, but in essence, that is what he is asking for.

TO the OP:

Let them replace the engine. The engine you will receive will be a 19 GT350r motor. These motors have the new revisions from the 2020 GT500 program. The engines do perform great. How do I know this ? Because I have one. My #3 and #7 rods let go and went through the blocks. That is the short version. You can read "Add me to the list nobody wants to be on" thread to get the full story.

Since my replacement I have had zero issue. The car is running stronger than ever, and I have no oil consumption, even though that was not my issue for my engine replacement. As for the other points, I will let others hash that out. Just giving you my experience with this issue.

BKTorch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
Has anyone gone through a buy back process on their GT350?
I didnt go thru a buyback, but my 2017's motor also popped with 1850 miles on it. They replaced it with a 2019 motor. Been dailying it for 6 months now and ive had no issues whatsoever. The Ford tech that worked on my car also broke the pressure plate and clutch when he was braking in the new motor because they didnt bleed the hydraulic clutch properly before driving. Also make sure to check out the shift knob for any damage after they replace the motor.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
lol at all these guys thinking you won’t lose value with resale. i can tell none of them have had to sell a gt350 with a NEW motor in it. sounds like a perk to us here huh? well, its not. mine was for sale well below others like it for half a year before i just finally traded it. its a red flag to a buyer that the same people who can’t bolt on a splitter had to replace the heart in your pride and joy.

whenever you talk to a regional rep or whoever, you need to really push the buyback. remind them you’re losing thousands in value.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
This BS of diminished value and such is dumb as fuck. Ford's warranty does not state that you will have any certain value during or after your 5 years and 60k miles. This is no different from a civic or any other car. they break, they get fixed. Expecting/wanting them to buy it back is insane.

Abg123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3
Ya that is what I am afraid of. I am still going to try. But like you said, I will just end up trying to sell it in the end. The value of the car will dramatically drop. I will refuse to make the same monthly payments on a car that has half the value. I appreciate it though, thanks.
I honestly believe a great new 2019 or 2020 gt350r engine would make your car WORTH MORE in a few years..not less

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had 2017 GT350 bought back due to a botched warranty paint repair. It took about 8 weeks and the communication was pretty bad. In the end I got a good price and bought another nearly identical car.

In this case I have to agree with the others saying to take the new engine. Do it and don't look back.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Have you ever had to Lemon a car? I don't think so. You sound like you're preaching from the mountain, but you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

I just lemoned my 2018 F-150. 8k miles and it was on it's third motor. To anyone saying engine replacements do not hurt vehicle value: you are wrong. It shows on the car's history and absolutely, 100%, no question hurts the vehicles Fair Market Value.

Ford disagreed with me. Basically sounded as immature as the person I quoted here sounded. I requested a buyback 3 times with them. Denied every time. So, hired the attorney, filed the lawsuit, Ford lost, I'm in excellent financial standings due to their ignorance and refusal to admit their vehicle had issues and was devalued due to them.

My first motor went into my truck at less than 4k miles. I began having trouble at 750 miles. If you think I'm paying for a $50k truck with issues out the gate just because I like Ford, think again. Sorry if I knocked your fanboy glasses off, but if you have an issue Ford is the absolute worst at customer care. And, this being my 63rd Mustang, you can shove that "Go buy a Corolla" crap. Try to at least pretend you can have an adult conversation and provide some useful information other than name calling and insults.
His car isn't a lemon...
Hes just being entitled...

But yeah out of respect I'll unsub from this thread.
Sponsored