Sponsored

Storing GT350R in winter, what about the tires?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

For people living in climates with cold winters...
This will be my first winter with the R, I am wondering what do you guys do with the sport cup 2's in very cold weather... Michelin says that they should not be kept at temperatures under 32F:

It is recommended these types of tires be removed from the vehicle and stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 70 degrees F (21 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Do you take them off and keep them inside ? The garage where I store it is not heated, and it will get under 32F for sure, heck it might get 5-10 F for sure at some point. I have only 3000 miles on them and I was hoping I will get by another year ...
Thanks!
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
When I didn't have more street-friendly tires, I put the car up on 4 jack stands, pull off the wheels, and use chunks of 4x4 and/or additional jack stands to support the suspension arms so the dampers don't hang at full droop all winter. I fill up the tank before storing it and move the wheels indoors (I have a storage space, but they did spend the first winter just stacked up in the basement).

Now that I have the extra wheels with the street tires (PS4S), I just over-inflate the tires some (~48 PSI) to reduce flat spotting and leave the car on the ground. It gets an oil change every winter also (only driving it ~2400 miles/year so I'm changing by the calendar rather than the mileage).

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I left them on my R, overinflated, in my basement garage in MI last 2 years without issue. Itā€™s more insulated than my upstairs garage though, but with temps hitting -15% there were a few days it probably got around 15-20 degrees in the basement garage.

Iā€™ve also tracked in late fall mornings with temps at 40 degrees out without issue fwiw (well they slide like in the wet until 1-2 laps get some heat in them that is).

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I left them on my R, overinflated, in my basement garage in MI last 2 years without issue. Itā€™s more insulated than my upstairs garage though, but with temps hitting -15% there were a few days it probably got around 15-20 degrees in the basement garage.

Iā€™ve also tracked in late fall mornings with temps at 40 degrees out without issue fwiw (well they slide like in the wet until 1-2 laps get some heat in them that is).
It's unclear to me if load on the tires in the cold is bad, or MOVING under load in the cold is bad. I think a car sitting on the tires is probably safe in all but the most extreme conditions. My un-insulated Chicago garage gets to -15F inside with winters like we had last year, so I just play it super safe.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Last winter I had my R in an unheated/uninsulated garage before I moved (same temps as yours since we live in the same area). I just put some extra air in. I also knew I'd be replacing those tires before getting out onto a track though. I looked closely after and didn't see any signs of stress cracks in the tires, and they didn't feel any different on the street after. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it would negatively affect them if I was going to track and heat cycle them after.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks sll. I might get s set of street wheels and bring the oems in the house... if not it does not sound like a great deal.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I have a second set of OEM wheels w Pirelli Sottozeros mounted.

I change them over when I put ā€˜er up for storage.

The summer tires/wheels stay in my basement.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have a second set of OEM wheels w Pirelli Sottozeros mounted.

I change them over when I put ā€˜er up for storage.

The summer tires/wheels stay in my basement.
Do you also drive it on the Pirelli's or just keep them on for storage ? How do they go, I suppose they are pretty good when it's very cold outside..

I am on the fence between pilot sports 4s or AS/3 for winter storage and all around driving, and keep my carbon fiber rims for track with cup 2's . An all winter tire for me is an overkill as I never drive it in winter. Storage garage is not near enough to my house...

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Do you also drive it on the Pirelli's or just keep them on for storage ? How do they go, I suppose they are pretty good when it's very cold outside..

I am on the fence between pilot sports 4s or AS/3 for winter storage and all around driving, and keep my carbon fiber rims for track with cup 2's . An all winter tire for me is an overkill as I never drive it in winter. Storage garage is not near enough to my house...
Nope, I've never driven on them. Salt is used in abundance where I live and I store on the first salted storm. Sometimes this can be early in the season but it gives me peace of mind when it comes to salt.

Youā€™re right - I just use them for storage so my Michelins donā€™t freeze.

You could use your old track tires like I use the Pirellis. Find a set of wheels thatā€™ll fit and youā€™re good to go!
Sponsored