Sponsored

HPDE and Track Event Tips

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hello! Track Attack is coming up for me and after that I'd like to start tracking my car. I was wondering if anyone could offer tips about the best way to get involved in HPDE and track events. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland and VIR and Summit Point are relatively accessible. Thanks!
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Hello! Track Attack is coming up for me and after that I'd like to start tracking my car. I was wondering if anyone could offer tips about the best way to get involved in HPDE and track events. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland and VIR and Summit Point are relatively accessible. Thanks!
Get your start with established clubs like NASA, Chin Motorsports, Hooked On Driving, PCA, BMW. These clubs offer great instruction and for the first three I listed also have in class instruction.

Keep your car stock except for proper camber adjustments (max out the front and rear with neg camber) as well as tire pressures (typically 30psi cold), oil change, bleed brake fluids. If it has been awhile since you changed your diff and tranny fluids do that as well.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Okay thanks. I looked at Chin Motorsports the other day. Was not sure if PCA or BMW were open to non Porsche/BMW drivers.

So I guess I should just sign up for next year (since the season is almost over now) and then register early for some of the events that they have. Is that basically how it works?

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
You have to own a Porsche to be a member of the PCA. BMW and Audi allow anybody to join. I just registered for an Audi track day and saw tons of other non-Audi registered including Porches,VW, BMW. And now a non-German car. :shock:

Don’t wait. Just go. Great time of year and your car is perfectly capable as is for someone of your level. You’ll have a blast.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
You have to own a Porsche to be a member of the PCA.
That might be true if you wanted to be a member of the club itself, but all makes and models are welcome at their HPDE events.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
You have to own a Porsche to be a member of the PCA. BMW and Audi allow anybody to join. I just registered for an Audi track day and saw tons of other non-Audi registered including Porches,VW, BMW. And now a non-German car. :shock:

Don’t wait. Just go. Great time of year and your car is perfectly capable as is for someone of your level. You’ll have a blast.
Actually a owner of a Porsche can register anyone (no Porsche needed) as a affiliate member of PCA on their membership. I am currently a member this way as my buddy who bought my 996tt got me a card (saves significant $ on PCA track days I do as well).

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use this website: Motorsportsreg.com

You can search by location and the event organizer will have details about their particular event. Most PCA clubs allow non-members without Porsche’s to sign. If they are exclusive to members only/porsche mark only they will indicate it.

The season is still going strong; I’d register for a one day event this year just to start breaking the ice.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Don't overlook Dominion Raceway off Rt95 in Thornburg, VA. They have several groups that you could do high speed driving with, including SCCA. Also, remember to torque your wheel lugs and not to use your emergency brake.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for the tips guys. I had not heard about Dominion Raceway. It seems they have a couple of track events at the end of September that maybe I will check out. Where do you buy track insurance?

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lockton and Hagerty

Should run you about $200 - $350 depending on agreed value and deductible

Sponsored

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & Audi A5 SB (RIP 2020 Explorer)
Everything they said. Also, oil catch cans, rock blockers, tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve, water to hydrate and money for gas (she's a thirsty girl at the track). Have fun!

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
Regarding track insurance, I am using OpenTrack. Gives you the option to purchase on demand daily or annual unlimited insurance. Other benefit is that they offer both coverage for your own damage as well as liability insurance which covers damage to the track or clean up. Have used Lockton before. All have similar pricing.

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Alexandria, VA and go to Summit Point, VIR, and Dominion regularly. Summit Main Circuit is a great track to start out on then try out their Shenandoah Circuit. VIR is amazing! Just dive right in as others have said.

I’m headed to Full Throttle/Shelby Fest at VIR in November. It’s through Shelby/SVT Club and Track Club.

NASA Mid-Atlantic, SCCA, and Track Daze are good clubs and have a lot of track days coming up.

I really like the Friday’s at the Track that Summit Point has if you can take a Friday off.

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Don’t forget to put on some paint protection on the front side. Otherwise you’ll have very different paint after few sessions

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I got my first quote for running my R at the "track night in America" event. Holy moly!!

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 10.01.56 AM.png
Sponsored