Sponsored

E-Force 1586 (2017 Mustang GT) Supercharger ACT issue + Misc. codes + Negative Inlet Air Temp?

KM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
**Posting to this forum in case the Edelbrock forum is not too active**
**Hoping someone may have suggestions until I can contact Edelbrock Monday**

Hey everyone,

I've recently ran into a few issues on a stage 1 1586 E-Force supercharger kit I installed a few months back. It's quite a handful and the situation is a bit mind boggling for me but I'll attempt to explain as best as possible. (This is my first kit installation so please be patient with any mistakes or ignorance I may show.)

A couple of days ago I pulled a few codes (P2008, 2011, 2014, & 2019) after the car refused to start when it remained off from 8am until 2pm. After repeated attempts to start, the car finally turned on only to struggle initially as if it were deprived of fuel, kick out a decent amount of what seemed to be excess fuel from the exhaust and then idle in a sluggish manner and occasionally begin in "limp mode". After a handful of restarts and re-flashing the SCT tune Edelbrock provided, the car appeared to start, idle and operate normally.

The next day, the same issue occurred. Refusal to start, deprived fuel style start, then kicking out excess fuel from the exhaust with the same codes popping up again which followed up with the vehicle stalling out in my driveway in neutral. On top of this, I noticed my Inlet Air Temperature was reading in a NEGATIVE value (-13F, -10F, -7F, etc.) If I were to drive the car, acceleration would feel normal but while decelerating, the car felt sluggish or murky (can't describe it any better) but the exhaust would sound very wet or gurgling noise if that makes any sense. Normally while decelerating, the exhaust note would be loud and crisp not gurgling and wet.

After experimenting today, I had a feeling it may have been something wrong with my throttle body, MAF sensor or the ETC extension harness Edelbrock provides to connect the throttle body to the ETC connector on the wiring harness. A friend and I pulled all three out, check for any damage or any possible buildup that might cause any issues and for continuity on the ETC extension to see if there is a wiring issue. All three appeared to be fine but I replaced the TB & MAF just in case.

After re-assembling everything, I remembered that Edelbrock provided a MAF extension harness with an ATC connection for the rear of the manifold and we began testing continuity on the wires there. Again, they were fine. But digging further, we began unplugging the MAF separately, the ATC separately and plugging in the MAF directly into the factory wiring harness without the extension which yielded the following results:
-When the MAF was connected directly to the factory wiring harness, Inlet Air Temp was normal (95-100F)
-When MAF was connected to the extension WITHOUT the ACT being connected, Inlet Air Temp was normal.
-When the MAF was connected to the extension WITH the ACT being connected, Inlet Air Temp turned negative
-When the MAF was NOT connected, with ACT being connected, Inlet Air Temp was negative.
We decided to see how it would act when we started the vehicle without the ACT temp sensor connected and after a few seconds at idle, the car appeared to start and idle a lot better BUT I lost both Inlet Air Temp and Oil Temp?? (Readings were "---")

After playing around further with the ACT thing, we noticed while key was turned for accessory mode, if we had the MAF connected to get normal temp, once ACT was connected the temp would immediately jump to a negative value. I went and grabbed a brand new sensor as it was a Ford Motor Co sensor and plugged it in and...... same thing, negative temp.

I'm not sure of what could be the issue at this point, I have to wait until Monday to contact Edelbrock but I figured hopefully someone may be able to throw a suggestion out to take a look at it but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I could order a new MAF/ACT harness extension though it will not ship out until the 18th of September so I guess I'm stuck for the next week and a half to try any suggestions or decide to take it over to a local speed shop and see if they can give me a diagnosis for me to fix.

***If any further information is necessary, please ask and I will try to provide it if I can as best as possible. I appreciate anything anyone can throw at me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Do you have the plastic IAT sensor?

If so that will most likely be the issue.

You need the brass inlet air temp sensor & a revised tune as the temp values are different.
Get in touch with Edelbrock and they will ship you out the brass sensor and harness over night.

I had the same issue with my 1586 kit. If the IAT read less than 8c the car struggled to start and when it did it over fueled and gave plenty of smoke until it settled down and the temp increased. The new sensor and tune from edelbrock sorted it.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Yep, look on the back passenger side of the blower if you have a plastic sensor get EB to send you the new harness and brass sensor.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the 2 post above, definitely sounds like the issues guys were having with the plastic sensor. Should be a quick and easy fix! Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome!

OP
OP
KM5.0

KM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you have the plastic IAT sensor?

If so that will most likely be the issue.

You need the brass inlet air temp sensor & a revised tune as the temp values are different.
Get in touch with Edelbrock and they will ship you out the brass sensor and harness over night.

I had the same issue with my 1586 kit. If the IAT read less than 8c the car struggled to start and when it did it over fueled and gave plenty of smoke until it settled down and the temp increased. The new sensor and tune from edelbrock sorted it.
Yep, sure is a plastic sensor. I'll give Edelbrock a call on Monday and let you know of the outcome within the coming days. Appreciate the feedback!

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Be sure to email in to Edelbrock calibration for the updated tune also.
Sponsored