Shaker Pro vs BO sub enclosure size

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I have a 2018 GT with the Shaker Pro audio system and looking to finalize the components needed for my audio upgrade install this week. My car came with 8 inch sub from the factory and i was thinking to replace with Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 sub like many others have done on this forum. However i came across a thread by @NickBlack today and saw that he replaced the stock sub in his 2019 GT with a JL Audio 10W1v3-4 10 inch sub. It looks like Ford has put a 10" sub now for the 2019 B&O system.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-b-o-subwoofer-install-help.118403/

So i was wondering if
i) I could modify my existing enclosure to fit the 10 inch JL sub or purchase a stock B&O enclosure part from dealer to be able to use the JL 10 inch?
ii) Would the 10" JL sub make a significant difference over the 8" RF sub to consider this as an option ?

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
In case anyone is interested, the PN for BO sub enclosure is KR3Z-18808-A. I'm not sure if it would fit in the same bracket as a 2018 model. There appears to be some differences in the shape overall.

Here are some pics i found on eBay.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
It's very unlikely you will be able to physically fit a 10" driver in a blow-molded enclosure designed for an 8". Even if you could, the airspace will likely be way too small and the driver won't perform even near it's design parameters. Not even worth trying IMO. It's not likely that you could purchase the just the B&O enclosure without the driver from the dealer. These types of things usually are sold as plug and play complete replacements.

The driver swaps that have been found to work well were discovered through a lot of trial and error. Every driver has different TS parameters. E.G. no two drivers will perform the same in the same sized box. I would suggest trying the Rockford driver that many others have found to be a great swap. That's the cheapest and easiest upgrade that could potentially make you happy.

If that isn't enough for you (it never is ;) ) then you're looking at something like a JL Audio Stealthbox or even a traditional 2x10 or 2x12 box with an outboard amp. Bass takes space; the more bass you want, the more space you have to give up.

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
W
It's very unlikely you will be able to physically fit a 10" driver in a blow-molded enclosure designed for an 8". Even if you could, the airspace will likely be way too small and the driver won't perform even near it's design parameters. Not even worth trying IMO. It's not likely that you could purchase the just the B&O enclosure without the driver from the dealer. These types of things usually are sold as plug and play complete replacements.

The driver swaps that have been found to work well were discovered through a lot of trial and error. Every driver has different TS parameters. E.G. no two drivers will perform the same in the same sized box. I would suggest trying the Rockford driver that many others have found to be a great swap. That's the cheapest and easiest upgrade that could potentially make you happy.

If that isn't enough for you (it never is ;) ) then you're looking at something like a JL Audio Stealthbox or even a traditional 2x10 or 2x12 box with an outboard amp. Bass takes space; the more bass you want, the more space you have to give up.
Well i really wanted to go with the RF Punch 8 inch sub. However with my setup, the 5-channel amp puts out too much power for it to handle. I even contemplated getting a 4 channel and mono amp just for the sub, but decided it wasn't the hassle of getting two separate amps.

I figured out the BO enclosure PN and it's retailing for around 300 bucks, i believe it comes with the driver included. In the end, i decided it wasn't worth the extra cost. While it's still cheaper than JL Audio stealth box i thought a 8 vs 10" wouldn't make a significant difference. The installer put in a JL Audio 8w3v3 subwoofer in the stock Shaker Pro enclosure (they said they modified the enclosure a little bit to make it work). I'm quite happy with the bass now, honestly the front door Focals have plenty of bass in them that i don't even notice the bass coming from the trunk now.
Sponsored