MGW Shifter in VUDUBLU

Dan206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350, ‘16 Corvette Z51, ‘62 VW, ‘20 Raptor
I highly recommend the MGW Shifter for the GT350. With the stock shifter I found it too easy to go from 2nd into 5th and a couple of times into 1st! Fortunately those couple times weren’t at high revs.
The MGW is much more crisp and precise, love it!
My plan was to use a white ball, but when it was installed the shift boot was stretched and I didn’t like the look. So, I stayed with the stock shifter, which I think looks best with the interior.
Here are photos of both knobs on the MGW.
371BE1D0-C27F-4D12-9BB8-F242DF3A3FEA.jpeg
74F788C7-8D36-4612-86A4-CD0696184F6E.jpeg
Sponsored

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Awesome! I have a few questions, please bear with me. Did you install the MGW shifter yourself? Or did you get a shop/dealer to do it? If so, what was the cost? And, how hard was it to remove the shift knob?

I might do this in the future, so I’m curious to know about your experience. Thanks!

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
With patience, decent mechanical skills and small hands the shifter is a straightforward install. I got my shifter knob off without damaging it, many have not. Follow the YouTube video and you will be fine.

OP
OP

Dan206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350, ‘16 Corvette Z51, ‘62 VW, ‘20 Raptor
Awesome! I have a few questions, please bear with me. Did you install the MGW shifter yourself? Or did you get a shop/dealer to do it? If so, what was the cost? And, how hard was it to remove the shift knob?

I might do this in the future, so I’m curious to know about your experience. Thanks!
I had it installed. It cost $375. There are install videos on the MGW website if you want to do it yourself. More than I wanted to attempt.
They took the knob off. I know it is glued on with loctite.
This video shows how to take the knob off without damaging it.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
With patience, decent mechanical skills and small hands the shifter is a straightforward install. I got my shifter knob off without damaging it, many have not. Follow the YouTube video and you will be fine.
This was also my experience. Removing the trim pieces/console made me more uneasy than anything lol. Watch the youtube videos and you will be fine and save some money in the process.

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Can we use the reverse lockout collar/functionality we have on the stock shifter with the mgw, or have to use the mgw functionality?

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
MGW functionality. You’ll get used to it.

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the MGW on my GT350. The springs were way too stiff on downshifts, making it a hindrance on the street and the track. Mine will be up for sale in the classifieds section tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Definitely eyeing a MGW. The stock shifter is great but after two engine replacements it has been gotten pretty screwed up during the replacement process and the dealer says it is normal so no replacement unfortunately.

Looking forward to not getting locked out of first, getting into reverse easier and more precise shifts.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
MGW shifter is easily the best modification I have done on my GT350. LOVE LOVE LOVE the precise mechanical feel, and beefiness of the construction. I have had no issues with upshifts or downshifts, all are greatly improved over stock. I feel highly confident shifting with authority, almost like it was a gated shifter and I can just "bang" through the gears.

The reverse lockout is different, but I don't spend much time in reverse. What's funny is that NOBODY that has borrowed my car has figured out reverse on their own. Good for theft prevention? LOL

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I also have the MGW on my 2019 GT350 after my OEM shifter crapped out a couple weeks after delivery. I do note that the MGW is a little stiffer than the OEM, but is very precise in shifting from gear to gear. The reverse is not nearly as smooth an operation as the OEM system, but you just have to use a little muscle to get it to engage. I now have a brand new, upgraded, OEM shifter in case I ever want to go back to the OEM shifter.

Last edited:

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the MGW on my GT350. The springs were way too stiff on downshifts, making it a hindrance on the street and the track. Mine will be up for sale in the classifieds section tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested.
You can remove the spring.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
In the MGW video they say lower the transmission. Are they lowering the entire tranny or just the rear? This is what is keeping me from doing the install myself.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In the MGW video they say lower the transmission. Are they lowering the entire tranny or just the rear? This is what is keeping me from doing the install myself.
You do not completely remove the tranny, no. Just remove the crossmember (4 bolts) and a small jack under the tailshaft. Just lower it enough to be able to get your hands up in there. Mark the crossmember around the edges to get it back in the same spot. Piece of cake.

I also was kinda almost in the group that this was not a worthwhile mod....until I got back in a car with a stock shifter. The stock shifter might just be the absolute best stock shifter I've ever felt, but this is worthwhile.

I too am in the stock shift knob camp. I've had three, and went full circle back to stock. It just "fits" with the interior and it just works.
Sponsored