A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I posted the second post in this thread and thought I'd come back and provide an update. I bought my 15 in Feb and the first time I went to use the AC, it didn't work. Every spring the first time I went to use my AC it didn't work and I took it back to Ford to repair it. They always replaced something or recharged the AC. Last year I was a bit more insistent they actually fix it. They diagnosed it as the core and replaced it. This past spring the AC was still working (still is). Nice to be finally past that issue, I think it was bad from the start.
Sponsored

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
My ac didn’t work when I got my car out for the first time this spring. 17 gt 2911 miles then. The dealer said all the refrigerant leaked out but they couldn’t find from where. The charged it up and added dye. After a month or so the ac wasn’t cooling again. I took it in again and they said the evaporator was solid but a low side hose was leaking. It hasn’t been hot so I haven’t used the ac much, but I don’t have much faith in my ac being fixed for good. On a side note, when I was talking with the service manager he told me they have already changed some evaporators in the 18-19’s. Hopefully the 4th or 5th version of this evaporator will finally be a good one.
0D9325F4-526F-4C12-B5B2-A292C4FC36F9.jpeg
2BBC1D86-058A-4BC0-BB94-B0AE42F3344F.jpeg

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary Limited Edition #1897
I have 15k on a 2015 GT convertible, now have no A/C and also feels slightly warmer on the passenger side. I previously had the blend door actuator replaced (back then it was clearly cold one side/hot on the other). I have the premium ESP with no deductible, so expect to be covered, but when I took to the dealer this morning, they said if it turns out to be a "non-covered" problem, I'd have to pay a $299 diagnostic fee and then more to actually fix it. When I asked for an example of a "non-covered" problem, they said "like if a rock hit the evaporator and put a hole in it". Has anyone heard this story before? I'm going to be pissed if they come back with a story that seems a bit bogus to me - my car has never been off road or on the track, so if a rock from the road is enough to knock out the A/C, seems like a pretty bad design.
For a rock to hit the evap the rock would have to find its way into the cabin under the dash. That said unless there is a diagnosis a decision cannnot be made as to a non covered repair. Just plain weird.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For a rock to hit the evap the rock would have to find its way into the cabin under the dash. That said unless there is a diagnosis a decision cannnot be made as to a non covered repair. Just plain weird.
Think the dealer meant a rock hitting the consensor behind the front fascia. A visual inpection should be all that's needed for that diagnosis. It would take noticable visual rock hit damage to make the condensor leak.

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT, Europe edition
Last year I had same AC problem on 2016 mustang and since it was after a warranty dealer quoted me nearly 2k$ and 2 month waiting time ( EU dealership, they never have any parts stocked ) so I decided I'd rather spend that cash for mods and fix that issue some time later when reliable solution will be available ( replacement parts were not final part revision back then ). Year later I found that TSB that Ford would replace only faulty evaporator ( ~200$ part price ) instead of whole evaporator core assembly ( 1,2k $ part price ) so I asked for quote again my dealer and it turns out that EU does not have this TSB so again 2k$.

So.. I invested 23$ in 3-day access to Ford Manuals, disassembled everything up to evaporator, visually inspected it - looks fine - and assembled everything back together. I'll go for AC leak test soon and if it turns out that it must be that evaporator I'll order new one and replace it.

Its about weekend job for hobbyst to completely disassemble dashboard, swap evaporator for new one, and assemble back everything together. Just remember to print manuals, have labeled zip-bags to store screws for every screw removed during every manual step so you won't lose anything. Beside that, its not rocket science to do that fix yourself.

Just a suggestion for those not wanting spending pile of money for such stupid thing.

Sponsored

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
If you go by the TBS you should have ordered the part rather than the core. Ford obviously by the TBS found their flaw that they will not own up to. More they reduce their warranty cost significantly. less in parts and labor. good luck i have my orignianl core have not yet examined where the leak is.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go by the TBS you should have ordered the part rather than the core[
The A/C evaporator fix TSB was updated by Ford to only replace the evaporator core. Early version of the TSB said to replace the whole assembly that the evaporator core is buried inside of.

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
The A/C evaporator fix TSB was updated by Ford to only replace the evaporator core. Early version of the TSB said to replace the whole assembly that the evaporator core is buried inside of.
Thanks. I checked myself. I was mistaken. the entire system was changed on my unit. I now suspect it was to make more money for less work. Thanks again.

tjl16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Looking for others who have had their evaporator core leak after warranty. Storing mine in the winter so only 23k miles and 4 months out of warranty and she goes out. Ford escalation process and customer service is less than stellar and I'm extremely unhappy having to open the wallet for this. I'm hoping a united front with others in the same boat might be more productive.

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
Looking for others who have had their evaporator core leak after warranty. Storing mine in the winter so only 23k miles and 4 months out of warranty and she goes out. Ford escalation process and customer service is less than stellar and I'm extremely unhappy having to open the wallet for this. I'm hoping a united front with others in the same boat might be more productive.
3 mo out of warrranty. 20000 miles. Ford said tough luck. Is #1897 of 1965. Replaced the whole evap and components father the TBS said to replace the core. More money.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
3 mo out of warrranty. 20000 miles. Ford said tough luck. Is #1897 of 1965. Replaced the whole evap and components father the TBS said to replace the core. More money.
I wonder how Ford decides to help people who are out of warranty? Do they use a formula or toss a coin? Does it matter if original owner?

BTW, I think the part is available from Rock Auto or elsewhere now, so you could DIY or take it to a cheaper, independent shop. I wonder if thinking out-loud about that option when with the dealer service mgr might get him/her to prod Ford.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I checked myself. I was mistaken. the entire system was changed on my unit. I now suspect it was to make more money for less work. Thanks again.
Yours was probably replaces as a whole unit/assembly because it was done before Ford updated the TSB, which was changed to say only replace the core inside the assembly. I think Ford updated the TSB to save on parts, but it made the labor time a bit longer to open up the assembly to R&R the core only..

Deleted member 35786

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the beginning of the whole A/C evaporator fiasco, Ford was replacing the whole evaporator unit/assembly. Actually, I believe Ford replaced plenty of A/C evaporator assemblies before a TSB was ever published. Could be when Ford finally got around to publishing a TSB is when they decided to perform the repair by opening up the assembly and just replacing the core itself.

At any rate, at some point Ford decided to just replace the core because it was probably costing them a lot of warranty work money to replace the whole assembly.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144920-9999.pdf