Sponsored

Since a full tank of gas weighs 100lbs

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Not true, it depends on the temperature, a cold gallon is more than a warm gallon so the cold fuel will weigh more, thats why the F1 fuel limit is on weight and not volume.
IM genuinely curious, is weight not weight. I mean how does making something hot or cold make it change weight and weight more? I can see a volume change if cold the same gas taking up less space so technically you could put more in a tank and the overall weight of the larger volume be heavier but per gallon how does a gallon of gas change weight because of temperature? oh and street racing around here will get your car impounded and you in jail.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The gas tanks are near the rear though and probably help traction a bit.

Im on e85 though so Im at a half tank after about 60-75 miles lol.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
My advice Detector is to let this thread die. I and some others understand what you're saying. As long as things are done with safety in mind and your not red assing on some residential street where kids are playing or some busy highway, you'll be fine. Everything we do in life has some level of danger to it. I'm sure you and your fellow participants know the risks involved with what your doing.
It seems to me a lot of these people complaining about street racing, bought the wrong car. I hear Prius's get good gas mileage if all they care about is just driving on a road from point A to point B. And if that is their thing than they can lecture all they want about the immorality of street racing in there 121 horsepower Prius.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
IM genuinely curious, is weight not weight. I mean how does making something hot or cold make it change weight and weight more? I can see a volume change if cold the same gas taking up less space so technically you could put more in a tank and the overall weight of the larger volume be heavier but per gallon how does a gallon of gas change weight because of temperature?
You answered your own question - if you were to take the amount of gasoline contained in a container of precisely one gallon capacity and cool it down, you wouldn't be quite full any longer. You'd have to add a little more gas (more weight) to fill it to one gallon volume. This does mean that your container would have to be made of something that neither expands nor contracts with temperature since volume is defined only by linear measurements.

Norm

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You answered your own question - if you were to take the amount of gasoline contained in a container of precisely one gallon capacity and cool it down, you wouldn't be quite full any longer. You'd have to add a little more gas (more weight) to fill it to one gallon volume. This does mean that your container would have to be made of something that neither expands nor contracts with temperature since volume is defined only by linear measurements.

Norm
Cool thanks.I misread i guess. I took as the actual gas got heavier when it got cold. I was like hows that..

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6