Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
So nothing has changed. It is still the same test. What is 3/4 of the vehicles hp mean? Did I miss anywhere it stating it goes back to a fix it ticket instead of a fine?

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Test is the same, but still not a fix it ticket, it's a regular ticket. The sound test is performed at 3/4 of engine redline, but in a static setup (e.g. not under a load). Earlier versions of the test, and the one I had thought the state had used, was simply idle. Not a cold start idle either, I think they let it run for ~30 seconds before they measured the idle.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
"Clear and Concise" and "California Law" probably should not exist in the same sentence.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Got this yesterday from SEMA. Although it's not a law, all Gavin has to do is sign it (Like everything else that has come across his desk lately). This is a very big win for us.

California Bill To Amend 2018 Exhaust Noise Law Passes Legislature
SEMA Praises Lawmakers for Championing Critical Legislation

Thanks to the efforts of Assembly Members Tim Grayson, Tasha Boerner-Horvath, Phil Ting, Phil Chen, Senator Holly Mitchell, and enthusiasts throughout California, state lawmakers have approved SEMA-supported legislation (SB 112) that restores “fix-it” tickets for cars suspected of violating the state’s exhaust noise limit. Once signed into law by California Governor Gavin Newsom, SB 112 will take effect immediately.

SB 112, a budget implementation (trailer) bill, includes text drawn from SEMA-sponsored AB 390, which was authored by Assembly Members Grayson and Jim Frazier in early 2019. Under normal legislative procedure, AB 390 would not have been implemented until January 2020.

“SEMA thanks Assembly Members Grayson, Boerner-Horvath, Ting, and Chen, and Senator Mitchell for their tireless work on behalf of the over 1,700 member companies based in the Golden State,” said Daniel Ingber, SEMA’s Vice President for Legal and Government Affairs. “Thanks to their efforts, enthusiasts in California will continue to be afforded due process under the law.”

SB 112 removes cars from the impact of AB 1824, which was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018. AB 1824 amended how California law enforcement officials issued citations for suspected exhaust noise violations by removing the ability to issue fix-it tickets, which allowed for 30-days to correct a violation. Instead, motorists received an immediate fine. The bill generated significant concern within the specialty automotive aftermarket industry and enthusiast community. Once signed into law by Gov. Newsom, SB 112 will again allow law enforcement to issue fix-it tickets.

Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles in California with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). SB 112 does not change this.

Sponsored

EcoboostMustang

4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damir
Vehicle(s)
18 Fury Orange Mustang
Wow this is big news!! Hopefully it gets signed soon!

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Awesome news, so this will return it to be like the good ole days right? fix it ticket and done?

Please keep us updated, we appreciate having you doing this

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here is a page on SB 112. It looks like it was presented to the Governor on 9/20/2019. Hasn't been signed yet, but, this is a component of a larger bill. Basically a "rider" - and it is fitting because AB1824 which got rid of the fix-it ticket was also a rider on another bill.

What does that mean to us? Well, it means that the entire bill is not about noise. That's good - why? It makes it harder to say no. There is CalPERS stuff in it, tax stuff, regulatory stuff, Budget stuff, and a slew of other issues.

Y'all have no reason to believe me, as politics is not even close to my thing, but looking at the bill, I think it's going to pass. It's just a question of when it's going to pass. And that's up to the Governor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I created another post, but just in case y'all are following this thread, SB112 was signed, and the "fix it ticket" is back. This is what we wanted, this is the way it has been since 2003.

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I created another post, but just in case y'all are following this thread, SB112 was signed, and the "fix it ticket" is back. This is what we wanted, this is the way it has been since 2003.
Wow great news!

Thanks for all your efforts and updating, I sure appreciate it.