2018 modded Mustang GT Dies

David5ohhhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Two months prior to modding the car it had the CEL flashing. I had no mods at this time so I took it to the dealer and it’s on record that it has been in for a check engine light. Time passes by and I mod my car at 4,400 miles and at first added JLT CAI, corsa catback, and 91 tune from VMP. Car was working good. Then at 4,800 miles I added the e85 tune. Everything was going good and ran through 3 tanks of e85. 2 weeks pass by after first modding the car and suddenly the car starts making a loud rattle noise under the car. I thought it was a loose xpipe but then I keep driving and car keeps making louder and louder rattle only when giving it throttle. I was like this isn’t an xpipe problem so I was on my way to drive to the dealer and you can still hear the rattle but I stop at a red light and put it on neutral and the car just turns off. Accessory mode was still good and battery was too. The car just wasn’t cranking. The SCT device showed me codes but it was only cranking time exceeded which I was I was trying to turn it on too many times and some thing about the brake fluid. No CEL or nothing. Had to tow it to the dealership and now it’s been two weeks after the incident and they ordered a new engine but still don’t know if I’m going to be covered under warranty or not. Everyone I’ve talked to has been saying that it dropped a valve. My build date is 11/17. Any help or advice would mean a lot!
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Did they say it wasn't covered under warranty? I would imagine they know the car is modded. If they didn't say anything and it's not noted anywhere on the paper work I would just keep to myself about it.

OP
OP

David5ohhhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did they say it wasn't covered under warranty? I would imagine they know the car is modded. If they didn't say anything and it's not noted anywhere on the paper work I would just keep to myself about it.
Yeah I have not told them anything about it besides the exhaust that’s it. But they said that can’t void it. They brought up my warranty and said it should be covered but I had not mentioned anything about being modded.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Well they have to disclose prior to any work being done if there is a charge or not. Can't do the work and say Oh by the way it's not covered and you owe us $8000.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Wait, do you still have e85 in the tank? If so, that'd be a dead giveaway of it being tuned. If they didn't ask about mods, you're not exactly withholding information from them.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Maybe they are waiting on Ford to decide or send out an investigator.
I'd be preparing myself for a no warranty coverage allowed determination.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
They will smell the E85 as soon as they disconnect the fuel lines to the engine. Hopefully the mechanic is cool and keeps his mouth shut.

OP
OP

David5ohhhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Still haven’t heard anything. Just waiting. If it’s a new engine and not covered which is the most likely part I will just get one from them and then add the mods I have. I still don’t know if it was a bad tune or not so not going to run e85 on the new engine until I switch to Lund.

OP
OP

David5ohhhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well. Today ford called said they had my car running. They never contacted me to say engine was here and they were gona install it. Everything was covered under warranty and I never said I was tuned or running e85. 10k fix and I was covered by them. The engine was overheating which made it die. Now car is back up and running. Going to go with headers now

Sponsored

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
Oof! Very lucky indeed. I thought the e85 would have given it away.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Christ, you are one lucky SOB, buy a lottery ticket quick!

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Christ, you are one lucky SOB, buy a lottery ticket quick!
I was thinking the same thing... I have factory cats and I can smell the E85.
Really suprised that between that and smelling the fuel lines that they didn't check the ECU and see that it was tuned.
Sponsored