Sponsored

Built Motor Failure - After 1000 miles??

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
#1 went lean when fuel pumps starved for fuel with tank that low. Should only do pulls with minimum half tank. The stock and stock type fuel hats can’t keep full of enough fuel when hard accelerating.
Is this true with NA applications?
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
No. Being told piston rings unseated. I have a list of questions that will try to get answered next week with details. Oil was coming out back through throttle body, through intake and being caught in the air filter bottom (was black when I took it off and collecting below the airbox on top of skid plate initially. But then was blowing out all over passenger side of motor and driver side as well.
If I was being told that, I would want to see it with my own eyes. Properly installed piston rings are not going to unseat, without broken/damaged ring lands caused by detonation or a foreign object making is way in there......the only other way I’ve seen rings loose their seal is if washed down with too much fuel, usually caused by tuner error, which I do not think is the case here, or an injector getting struck open. There may be other ways, but that’s all I’ve seen in 30+ years of building engines and racing cars.
Blow-by, compressing the crankcase, can be caused by many things, from rings to valves to valve seals, head gaskets and on and on. Put your eyes on it and take pictures.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
At least on my car I have to keep the tank above 1/4 to keep the pumps fully fed. Sucks bro...sorry about your luck.
This combo will hit SO hard that I’d be surprised if even half a tank would be enough to keep the prime up to the pump when the fuel sloshes toward the rear.
This is precisely why I’ve avoided any of these pumps that don’t run a bucket or maybe swirl pot.
Sorry for your loss @cdmustang2016

awdtsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another reason to run atleast 1/2 of fuel or more is to keep the pumps cool. The fuel literally is their radiator and if you run low on fuel with a set of high power fuel pumps they can get too hot and cause pump failures or premature wear. This info came directly from a conversation I had with Fore.

Sponsored

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
True on any application.

Actually the stock hat is much better than like a fore hat when it comes to starving fuel. It’s almost like a bucket in the tank which keeps the fuel from sloshing where it picks it up from. If you look at a fire hat all you have are the filters which are maybe an inch above the bottom of the tank.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Looks go
That's why you need one of these!

https://www.kpmfuelsystems.com.au/product/streetfighter-mustang-gt-1250hp-in-tank-fuel-module/

You can have any fuel level in your tank you like.
Looks good in theory,

https://www.kpmfuelsystems.com.au/product/streetfighter-mustang-gt-1250hp-in-tank-fuel-module/

Would think this would have its limitations. Not sure what kind of rwhp this would be good to.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

The potential problem being that it’s not a return style system.
Meaning, it could cause problematic tuning for one, and also you can’t trigger one of the pumps on and off like you can with a return system. Ergo, you’re putting the heat of both pumps into the fuel.
There may be other limitations that I haven’t touched on.
Would be a good setup “to a point” though

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No sump in tank so when you hit boost the 4 gal of gas went to the back of the tank and the pumps sucked air is my guess.

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Ran lean due to low fuel. Did the same on my buddy's car but we got lucky and didn't hurt the engine. I never run mine hard with less than half a tank. Also possible the sending unit is off slightly. Good luck on the rebuild. Data logging is your friend and I agree with the fuel suggestions.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ran lean due to low fuel. Did the same on my buddy's car but we got lucky and didn't hurt the engine. I never run mine hard with less than half a tank.
Damn. Considering the cost of a new engine, why the hell isn't there a "kill switch" people can install to cut ignition if fuel pressure drops below x?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
This combo will hit SO hard that I’d be surprised if even half a tank would be enough to keep the prime up to the pump when the fuel sloshes toward the rear.
This is precisely why I’ve avoided any of these pumps that don’t run a bucket or maybe swirl pot.
Sorry for your loss @cdmustang2016
Absolutley,i have my car miss and sputter with the fore hat and 2 pumps on a hard launch with 1/4 tank of gas.If i am having fun or racing my car i keep atleast 1/2 tank or damm close to it.People can guess on hear for days but without a data log you will not know what happened and engine builders know that probably 80%or more dont data log their car on a regular basis.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Damn. Considering the cost of a new engine, why the hell isn't there a "kill switch" people can install to cut ignition if fuel pressure drops below x?
That is a great idea. I was thinking about tying a fuel pressure sensor into my two step to activate that if it sensed low fuel pressure.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
That is a great idea. I was thinking about tying a fuel pressure sensor into my two step to activate that if it sensed low fuel pressure.
You can. sort of. @80FoxCoupe used the aem wideband as a kill switch of sorts if it goes lean it opens the bov and dumps boost. Obviously there is a tiny delay and it's already gone lean by the time the sensors pick it up, and open the solenoid, but better than a pull going several seconds lean.

I'm sure it can be done as well via a fuel pressure sensor and some sort of input/ouput module. Maybe not shut the motor off, but light up an led idiot light or something.

I had fuel pressure on the ngauge and would be green anything above 45 psi, and turn red below that. A quick glance would be a go/no-go color without live reading the actual number.
Sponsored