Sponsored

Built Motor Failure - After 1000 miles??

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I am sorry to hear you lost a motor, I know that is heartbreaking.
On my '18 once I installed my new fuel system this spring, I found I needed to keep more gas in the tank. I had that same low fuel chime just pop on where it also said '50 miles to empty' and tried to roll into it for a quick 3rd gear log. It chugged and nosed over so I got out of it very quickly. I then went straight to the gas station, filled up and the next pull was clean and full power.
I would suspect that you starved your engine just long enough... all it takes is to be lean once.
I never let it get less than 1/2 tank now.
This is great advice.

Ive also had this happen. Not good! Especially on e85 which requires more fuel than gas due to it being a less efficient burning fuel. Factory pistons are trash on these cars and easily the weakest link (although OP had forged pistons). One WOT pull lean enough and you can definitely munch a motor.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I called MPR two months ago for an engine build quote. Still waiting on that.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You're relying on the gas guy to be 100% reliable in actually putting 93 in the 93 storage tank, we won't even mention sub drivers who can barely find their ass. You're also counting on the station to have enough people buying 93 to keep it fresh. Since the engine builder/tuner has no control over what you put in the gas tank when it leaves the shop, with race car, you own it. Be amazed if they paid for anything based on what you described. If you rebuild, get that thing on the corn, 800 and 93 + octane booster is not a good combo.
I was following the tuner's instructions. It was to be tuned to protect in case of tank of bad gas. Thus why the BOOSTane was always added.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Has a Fore return style fuel system. But let's be realistic. This is a weekend car. If I am on the highway and go below half a tank I can't put my foot to the floor and go into boost? It only gets about 200 miles to tank. So every hundred miles I need to fill back up to be safe? Or granny the car. If that was the case should have been explained to me from day one or at least at delivery or some other time during the build. Never told that ever.
You say it's rarely beat on, but if you're only getting 200 miles to a tank of 93 you are always flogging on it pretty good. Even E85 with some random sporatic wot pulls can get that far and E85 uses approx 30% more fuel. Sorry to say but if you wanna have boosted fun some sacrifices must be made like fuel convenience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
If my tank gets below 1/2 I am usually on my way to fill up.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Those are average. Most of the driving when I had it was local driving. I live in rural part of NJ. Way north. If I took a longer tip on highway the total miles for a tank improved. But it didn't last long enough to know. My round trip to my office is 100 miles. takes about an hour each way with lights & traffic. Literally took it only once and got caught in 3 hours of traffic on the way home and said never again. Not fun in bumper to bumper car, manual, no cats for 3 hours sucking in the fumes.

You say it's rarely beat on, but if you're only getting 2009

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Those are average. Most of the driving when I had it was local driving. I live in rural part of NJ. Way north. If I took a longer tip on highway the total miles for a tank improved. But it didn't last long enough to know. My round trip to my office is 100 miles. takes about an hour each way with lights & traffic. Literally took it only once and got caught in 3 hours of traffic on the way home and said never again. Not fun in bumper to bumper car, manual, no cats for 3 years sucking in the fumes.
gotcha. makes more sense.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
gotcha. makes more sense.
I wish I could have it longer to romp on it as it was built for. Most of the driving is with my 6 year old in the car since it is our "thing" to do together. It's our car really. The 2 times I had it alone and could get into it, 1st time fell on it's face and had misfire code in Cylinder 8. Misfire went with the plug, so we figure bad plug but changed them all. In retrospect that was the beginning end. 2nd time it sprayed oil everywhere. No check engine light. Nothing. Oil everywhere. Had cloud behind me like a James Bond movie. Was able to drive it 25 minutes ride home, slow but could feel it was hesitating. That was the end. Had it towed to mechanic which is an hour from my home.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
calculating relative to gt500 power,

5.0/5.2 * 760 = 730, on 93 octane

which is about that of Roush phase 2 and Whipple

whereas your car is 18 psi / 808 whp

808 / 0.85 drive train loss ~ 950

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I wish I could have it longer to romp on it as it was built for. Most of the driving is with my 6 year old in the car since it is our "thing" to do together. It's our car really. The 2 times I had it alone and could get into it, 1st time fell on it's face and had misfire code in Cylinder 8. Misfire went with the plug, so we figure bad plug but changed them all. In retrospect that was the beginning end. 2nd time it sprayed oil everywhere. No check engine light. Nothing. Oil everywhere. Had cloud behind me like a James Bond movie. Was able to drive it 25 minutes ride home, slow but could feel it was hesitating. That was the end. Had it towed to mechanic which is an hour from my home.
Did it melt a piston? What was the reason for the oil everywhere?

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No. Being told piston rings unseated. I have a list of questions that will try to get answered next week with details. Oil was coming out back through throttle body, through intake and being caught in the air filter bottom (was black when I took it off and collecting below the airbox on top of skid plate initially. But then was blowing out all over passenger side of motor and driver side as well.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
More than likely melted/broke pistons the ring lands from heat/detonation from going lean. Then the cylinder pressure goes into the crankcase blowing all the oil out anywhere it can find a way to release that pressure. IE out the pcv system back into the air filter throtttle body etc. A quick bore scope into the spark plug holes will confirm the carnage. Cooked rings wouldn't have that much of a mess. #8 runs hotter anyway and was the first to go.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
More than likely melted/broke pistons the ring lands from heat/detonation from going lean. Then the cylinder pressure goes into the crankcase blowing all the oil out anywhere it can find a way to release that pressure. IE out the pcv system back into the air filter throtttle body etc. A quick bore scope into the spark plug holes will confirm the carnage. Cooked rings wouldn't have that much of a mess. #8 runs hotter anyway and was the first to go.
Kind of what I’m thinking

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
was told not the case
Sponsored