New 2019; Magneride Is Sweet

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Let me ask you this: The link/photo above is for this for the MagneRide Sport Lowering Springs (#555-8242). I'm looking for a little less drop, so saw the MagneRide Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Springs (#555-8243) are 0.750" v. 1.0". Which of those two (2) springs rides "better", talking day-to-day use?
OK, a bit of a caveat here 1st ... It's pretty safe bet to say that all aftermarket springs are based upon a base model vehicle. With that said, the PP2 OE springs already provide a slightly lower ride height v. a base model Mustang. Steeda installed their "dual rate ultimate handling" spring set (555-8243) on my 2019 PP2. When everything settled, the measurement taken at the very front of the extended (PP2) splitter was 5.0". I should note that the basic reason for installing the springs at all was to inhibit the extreme squat on acceleration & dive on braking ... not necessarily to lower the car. Lowering it was merely a very slight additional enhancement. Steeda made the recommendation based upon my input ... &, in my case, it worked out perfectly.

An additional note to your last point about day-to-day driving ... I just completed a 6,000 mile drive from Tejas up to Mackinaw Island, then east thru OH, PA & NY then into Canada. After that, south to MD, down the coast to FL (thru Sebring to Ft. Myers), north on I-75 to I-10 to New Orleans & eventually back to Tejas. The only places I winced a bit regarding the suspension were Toronto (absolutely the worst frickin' metropolitan roads I have ever driven on. We are talking '3rd world' pavement!!!) & I-4 in FL due to (drum roll here, please) construction. Other than that, w/almost 18k miles on it (I picked it up last Thanksgiving), it has been an absolute delight to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
IMHO, unless your preference is the 10-spd, don't even think about the PP1!!! :like:
Yeah if you're going MT82 might as well go PP2 for a few dollars more. If going with the A10 you can get the Ford Performance Magneride upgraded springs/sway bar combo that also reprograms the Magneride. You can get the springs and bars for PP2 as well but PP2 doesn't need the additional programming. Makes me think you can make a PP1 as good as a PP2 with that setup.

OK, a bit of a caveat here 1st ... It's pretty safe bet to say that all aftermarket springs are based upon a base model vehicle. With that said, the PP2 OE springs already provide a slightly lower ride height v. a base model Mustang. Steeda installed their "dual rate ultimate handling" spring set (555-8243) on my 2019 PP2. When everything settled, the measurement taken at the very front of the extended (PP2) splitter was 5.0". I should note that the basic reason for installing the springs at all was to inhibit the extreme squat on acceleration & dive on braking ... not necessarily to lower the car. Lowering it was merely a very slight additional enhancement. Steeda made the recommendation based upon my input ... &, in my case, it worked out perfectly.
What was the measurement before the new springs?

OP - great color! Kona Blue was my first choice but I would have done Magnetic to save me the feeling of always needing to wash it :)

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Makes me think you can make a PP1 as good as a PP2 w/that setup. What was the measurement before the new springs?
To your 1st point, you are absolutely correct. However, I have a '98 GT that I pretty much (re)built from the ground up to make it car that I wanted (not to mention a few other cars over the decades). At this point in my life, I no longer have that desire. So w/a few $$$ to Steeda, a few more $$$ to Borla & an AA spare (which has already paid dividends), I am done. All I have to do is get in, fire it up & take off down the road any time I want. Next trip is to SoCal (my 2nd in the car) in October. To your 2nd point ... when absolutely new, the ride height was 5.375". After settling in, it was 5.25".

Last edited:

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To your 1st point, you are absolutely correct. However, I have a '98 GT that I pretty much (re)built from the ground up to make it car that I wanted (not to mention a few other cars over the decades). At this point in my life, I no longer had that desire. So w/a few $$$ to Steeda, a few more $$$ to Borla & an AA spare (which has already paid dividends), I am done. All I have to do is get in, fire it up & take off down the road any time I want. Next trip is to SoCal (my 2nd in the car) in October. To your 2nd point ... when absolutely new, the ride height was 5.375". After settling in, it was 5.25".
So that's only about .25" drop after new springs. Not much but that's OK, I wouldn't want much lower.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So that's only about 0.25" drop after new springs. Not much, but that's OK. I wouldn't want it much lower.
Lots of folks want to close the fender/tire gap, or just drop the car as low as possible. The MagnaRides make up for a lot of suspension 'sins', but the 'old school' way of thinking about race car handling ... dropping it down & making it as stiff as possible ... is not longer valid. It has long since been proven to be 1) counter-productive & 2) potentially dangerous. On a paved race track, if the suspension is transferring energy to the chassis, chances are you need to soften things up a bit. Suspension movement on road race cars is often very difficult to see (even formula cars), but watch any off-road vehicle w/a fully exposed suspension to see how the suspension is designed to work.

Sponsored

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Bought it.

I'm certain Kona Blue isn't the color for me, as it clearly needs to be kept clean to look good.

But, other than that........what a car. The small, detail improvements over my 2016 car add up to quite an impressive difference in driving dynamics.

The Magneride is fantastic, but Normal isn't soft enough for the rough streets of DC. Track is amazing, and I'd say the body control is damn near as good as my previous car with all the Steeda stuff, but with a much better ride. There's no float, great control, and much, much less impact harshness. The MP4Ss might have a lot to do with that though.

The 301A is a great package. It skips the weight of the heated/cooled seats, but gives a much nicer environment with the Sync 3 and better sound system, which is a major improvement over the base stereo in my last car. I'm just getting into what Sync 3 does, because I need a new charging cable for my Android phone. I had missed the MyColor feature, it's nice to have that back.

The clutch, transmission, adjustable exhaust....all tremendous improvements. It shifts great, the pedal is lighter, the clutch engagement is much better, the exhaust can be quiet or loud. But......when set in Quiet mode, once you romp on the throttle the exhaust just opens up and bellows, doesn't stay quiet when you're hammering it. I do like that the car is silent inside when cruising on the freeway. The taller gears seem fine, definitely nice to see lower RPMs on the freeway.

As far as the engine, there's definitely more torque, lower in the RPM range. But, as many others have complained, these cars just don't feel that fast. Objectively, that's because the suspension/chasis/body control/tires are so good, the car just isn't scary. My 2012 GT Brembo car scared the ever-living shit out of me, with 80+HP less, whenever I wanted it to, because the suspension and tires were shit. The car was just all over the road. These cars don't do that, much more of a cruiser/GTer. I can definitely see this car would make a NY to LA run a pure joy.

I'm exhausted. Drove many hours last night, then was up this morning at 4AM to drive again.

The best way I can sum-up this car, is that it needs nothing. Doesn't need a tune, doesn't need suspension mods, doesn't need the trans fluid changed, doesn't need anything. Near as I can tell, it's perfect just the way it is. And since every time in the past I've modded something to address one issue, a new issue was created, I'm very glad for that.

ETA; found a charging cable for my phone. I wish the phone was 100% controllable from Sync 3 when plugged in. Using Waze is great though. Who the hell would pay for Nav?
New on the lot. Great price, very strong money for my trade in. 0% financing. Sales Manager complaining he was losing money on the sale (complete b.s., but nice to hear). My first 2 hours of driving the car was in absolute bumper-to-bumper traffic, just pissed me off.

Jesus.....I need sleep.:cwl::cwl:

20190829_071102.jpg
20190829_071114.jpg
20190829_071128.jpg
Nice color! I purchased my Kona Blue Mustang GT at Sterling Ford off the lot. I traded in my 2015 BMW M235xi for this beast, my first American muscle car. The V8 power, exhaust and magna ride in track mode and the Michelin 4S tires w/6 piston front brakes has left me very impressed. I've racked up 3,200 miles in the first month of ownership. I love this car!

19 GT Kona Blue PP1.jpg
19 GT Kona Blue PP1 3.jpg
View attachment 392593

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Nice color! I purchased my Kona Blue Mustang GT at Sterling Ford off the lot. I traded in my 2015 BMW M235xi for this beast, my first American muscle car. The V8 power, exhaust and magna ride in track mode and the Michelin 4S tires w/6 piston front brakes has left me very impressed. I've racked up 3,200 miles in the first month of ownership. I love this car!

19 GT Kona Blue PP1.jpg
19 GT Kona Blue PP1 3.jpg
View attachment 392593
We have exactly the same car, except for the transmission. And they were purchased from the same dealership, assuming you meant Koons Ford Sterling.

Whomever orders that cars at the dealership likes the 301A/Magneride/Active Exhaust/PP1 package. And Kona Blue too.

Haffl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
We have exactly the same car, except for the transmission. And they were purchased from the same dealership, assuming you meant Koons Ford Sterling.

Whomever orders that cars at the dealership likes the 301A/Magneride/Active Exhaust/PP1 package. And Kona Blue too.
Yes, Koons Sterling Ford. Kudos to whoever places the Mustang orders at Koons. Kona Blue with all the GT performance options in a Fastback model! I was getting tired of black, white and gray exteriors. The only thing missing that I care about, is the Bang and Olufsen stereo system. The 301A 9 speaker system is okay but not compared to the Harmon Kardon I had in my M235xi.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes, Koons Sterling Ford. Kudos to whoever places the Mustang orders at Koons. Kona Blue with all the GT performance options in a Fastback model! I was getting tired of black, white and gray exteriors. The only thing missing that I care about, is the Bang and Olufsen stereo system. The 301A 9 speaker system is okay but not compared to the Harmon Kardon I had in my M235xi.
The 301A system is so much better than the base stereo in my '16, it's a joke. The base stereo is so bad, it ruins part of the driving experience. I'm still trying to figure SYNC3 out though. I can't see how to play the music on my phone, while also using WAZE. When WAZE is on, I can only use the radio or Sirius XM.

I'd imagine that B&O system is amazing, but the 301A system is giving me sounds and notes that the base system was missing.

I think Kona is beautiful, bit it's a PITA to keep looking good, compared to Triple Yellow of my last car. And now I'm thinking I need to get some PPF applied to the car.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gotta get some good pics of my Kona Blue PP2 on here. It is such a good color. These cars look awesome! If there was an A10 car with magneride, PP1 and active exhaust I would have probably went that route. However, I do like doing track days and the autos are a bit more finicky about the heat that generates. It can be done but it looks like you have to get bigger radiator, bigger oil cooler and bigger trans cooler. .

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Agree with everyone else here that the Magneride is a game changer. I will also agree that the Steeda IRS dowels and rear brace are a great addition. Paired with the Ford Performance springs and swaybars it really took the slop out of the rear of my GT350, and I'm sure it would do the same to a GT. The dampers are so good that they deserve to have a stable platform from which to do their work, and the Steeda bracing and centering kit does that.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
IMHO, unless your preference is the 10-spd, don't even think about the PP1!!! :like:
You guys suck.

Just got home from the dealer and am awaiting word on the PP2 they found for me. Race Red, 401a, B&O, NO Recaro's or AE. Throwing them switching my AWE exhaust over from current ride into the PP2 into the deal.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Agree with everyone else here that the Magneride is a game changer. I will also agree that the Steeda IRS dowels and rear brace are a great addition. Paired with the Ford Performance springs and swaybars it really took the slop out of the rear of my GT350, and I'm sure it would do the same to a GT. The dampers are so good that they deserve to have a stable platform from which to do their work, and the Steeda bracing and centering kit does that.
If you're talking about Steeda's cradle centering kit, and Stop The Hop Starter kit, I haven't felt the car need those things yet, and I had them on my last car. Ford did something to the rear suspension starting in 2018 to lessen the rear end hop/skip. And the Magneride helps too.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You guys suck.

Just got home from the dealer and am awaiting word on the PP2 they found for me. Race Red, 401a, B&O, NO Recaro's or AE. Throwing them switching my AWE exhaust over from current ride into the PP2 into the deal.
Where are you at? Koons Ford has tons of PP2s ready to go, and the cheapest prices in the country. And I'd recommend the Active Exhaust. That way, you buy the car, and you're done. No mods necessary, and you can spend your money on things like PPF, your next set of tires, maybe a GT350 steering wheel, or just taking the car on a trip and enjoying it.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Where are you at? Koons Ford has tons of PP2s ready to go, and the cheapest prices in the country.
I'm in the Midwest. I googled Koons and it looks like they are all over the east coast, minimum 1000 mile drive for me.
Sponsored