Sponsored

Best way to get bass to pass into cabin from the trunk besides folding the rear seat backs down?

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a single 12 inch sealed setup (600 watt Alpine Mono amp and Type S woofer) connected to the stock 9 speaker setup via LC2i and I thought it sounded pretty good and was happy for the few months I have had it. However, a few weeks back I had bought something at Home Depot that required I lower one of the rear seat backs to pass the item thru from the trunk to the rear seat section to take it home. On the way home, I immediately noticed the bass hitting hard AF. I have since been leaving one off the seat backs down all the time because it is a very noticeable increase in bass. I didn't think the trunk was sealed up that tight to block the bass that badly. My OCD is bothering me and I don't like leaving one of the seat backs down all the time even though nobody else can see it.

I am looking to see what are some ways others have used to get the bass to pass through to the main cabin without having to drop the rear seats.
Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
If it's only a volume issue for you, just crank up the gain a tiny bit on the subwoofer amp to compensate for the muffling of the seats. If it's a quality of sound issue, you might want to put a bass port on the rear shelf. But do your homework before cutting into your car's sheet metal (Should be your last resort).

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is probably more of a sound quality issue. Again, I thought it sounded great until I dropped the back seat and now it really bangs hard. I am now able to keep the overall volume lower and stock headunit bass EQ flat and I have a remote knob for my LC2i that I now turn down on most songs because the bass response is so much better now.

There is not a way to make a bass port without cutting into the rear deck sheet metal? I was thinking maybe cut a small round port into the plastic on each side of the back rear seats. Kind of like how a roll cage would be installed for rear bars that pass downward from the main roof bar into the trunk area.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Well if it sounded great to you back then, I'd just leave it alone. Of course if you open up the trunk it will sound better, but that's just physics. beside if you're adamant to make this change and you don't wanna cut into sheet metal, you can take out the rear speakers and use the holes as pass-through. All things considered, my suggestion is to leave it alone. Put the seats back up and forget about it, it will take you couple of days and you'll be over it. The hassle that you'll have to go through is not gonna be worth it, besides you'll devalue your car. Just my 2 cents.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I have the exact same issue; refuse to drive with the seats down. But the difference in quality and quantity of bass with the seat up/down is night and day. Being that I was planning on disconnecting the rear speakers anyway when I do my full system install, I'm just going to remove them entirely. The holes for the speakers are already there, as are the grills for the sound to fire through. Two 6.5" holes are not the same thing as having one or both seats down, but there should be some increase in bass energy entering the cabin. It's a free mod and is entirely reversible.

Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I have forward facing subs and cannot “bump” it with the seats up. It sounds muffled and there are rattles in the seat latches if turned up. I usually just pop one of the seats down when I get into the car and pop it up if I park outside.

Was considering doing a rear seat delete and modify it to have acoustically transparent materials over the subs.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Um... Leave the Damn seat down if it sounds good...

Wtf am I missing?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS

Wtf am I missing?
Nothing, just the OCD of the OP part...lol
I've been driving around with one seat back down since the beginning, which also creates more room for stuff in the trunk.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Wtf am I missing?
WTF you are missing is the part where I said I don't want to drive around with the rear seat folded down. So thanks for the suggestion Capt. Obvious. Run along now.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Lol... First world problems..

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm still waiting for someone to remove the rear speakers to see if this helps. They are useless anyway.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'm still waiting for someone to remove the rear speakers to see if this helps. They are useless anyway.
That'll be me this weekend...unless someone beats me to it. :D

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That'll be me this weekend...unless someone beats me to it. :D
It won't be me. I don't even have a subwoofer. Looking forward to your findings.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will try removing my rear deck speakers also this weekend. I have my LC2i tapped into the right rear speaker wires but I assume removing the actual speaker will have no affect on my amp input unless I "Fade" the headunit away from the rear.
Sponsored