Sponsored

Parking Brake Rattle

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
For a month or so I’ve had something bumping metal on metal in or around the cabin. Couldn’t pin point where. Last we found it, parking brake cable wasn’t tight enough allowing the tensioner to bump the bracket directly under the drivers seat on the transmission tunnel. Takes a 10 mm wrench to tighten up the adjustment nut and something small to hold the cable block.

If you suspect it on yours, ride with your hand on the parking brake handle and if it’s this you’ll feel it in the handle.
C4309921-EC37-4E14-9018-E63275533769.jpeg
192B6FFF-324C-43C5-AE06-DFC1B8E9AB12.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When I bought my 18’ GT new it didn’t rattle but was so loose. If you pulled up on the handle it wouldn’t hold the car. Backed the car up onto my ramps and tightened up the 10mm nut. All is good now.

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Ecoboosted did it look like mine or did they redesign it to eliminate the rattle?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Honestly I don’t remember what it looked like. I just know it was really loose and the nut was no where near the bracket. That’s how far it was off.

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Before you guys adjusted the cable, did you have to pull the handle up pretty high to set the parking brake? My '19 is a LOT higher than my '15 was.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
Before you guys adjusted the cable, did you have to pull the handle up pretty high to set the parking brake? My '19 is a LOT higher than my '15 was.
No, block the wheels or put the car on ramps / jack stands. Parking brake off. Then turn the 10mm nut clockwise just enough to take up the extra play in the cables (you'll need a deep well socket or it will take forever using a wrench). Mine only took about 4 full turns. It doesn't take much to make a big difference in the parking brake handle, so go a little at a time and test. You don't want to over-tighten the adjustment or you'll get drag and wear on the rear brakes.

**edit** I may have misinterpreted your original question. You obviously don't want to make an adjustment with the parking brake on. But yes, my parking brake lever engaged very high up prior to adjusting. This was on a brand new 2019. Now it engages firm in about 3 or 4 clicks.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
No, block the wheels or put the car on ramps / jack stands. Parking brake off. Then turn the 10mm nut clockwise just enough to take up the extra play in the cables (you'll need a deep well socket or it will take forever using a wrench). Mine only took about 4 full turns. It doesn't take much to make a big difference in the parking brake handle, so go a little at a time and test. You don't want to over-tighten the adjustment or you'll get drag and wear on the rear brakes.

**edit** I may have misinterpreted your original question. You obviously don't want to make an adjustment with the parking brake on. But yes, my parking brake lever engaged very high up prior to adjusting. This was on a brand new 2019. Now it engages firm in about 3 or 4 clicks.
Yes. That's what I was actually asking. Thanks!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I plan on doing this with my ratcheting 10 mm wrench. My parking brake is loose to the point where if I don't push down on it, the sensor will trip. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a slightly loose parking brake.

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Anyone try this with the factory resonator in place? The only thing I could get on it was a deep well socket. i think I got it a little better but I have no way to tell if the other end of the cable is wanting to turn?
Sponsored