Sponsored

Built Motor Failure - After 1000 miles??

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My recent build failed after 1000 miles. The cause being relayed to me is the piston rings unseated on 3 cylinders due to excessive heat causing massive blowby and spraying oil everywhere mostly back through the throttle body and air intake/box filter etc. Cause is being said to be going lean due possible to
#1 Fuel System Aerated. #2 Bad Fuel #3 Too High IATs. Any thoughts on this? See below

#1 - I went into boost and as I did, the 1/4 tank light came on saying I have 50 miles to empty. Saying the fuel pumps Aerated due to low fuel? I had 1/4 of tank = 4 Gallons

#2 - I am running 93 with 32 oz of Boostane Professional in every tank to protect against bad tank
#3 - IATS were not out of the ordinary.

Build = 2016 Mustang GT
Built 5.0 Motor w Sleeved Block - all the bells and whistles. Best of the Best in the motor - well known engine builder. Not going to name names. ARP Hardware, Manley Rods, Billet Oil pump gears, the works
9.5:1 Compression
Heads Ported and Polished
Cammed
FORE Level 4 Fuel System
Kooks Long Tubes Catless
ID1300's
BRISK RR12S Plugs
VMP Gen 3 with 75mm Upper and 5% OD - 18psi
Was dyno tuned for break in made SAE 808/674 on 93/BOOSTane Tune. Was told 16 degrees of timing

NEVER been to the track. Not beat on. Barely even driven. It's a weekend toy.

What say the mustang6g crowd?
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
#2 - I am running 93 with 32 oz of Boostane Professional in every tank to protect against bad tank

Was dyno tuned for break in made SAE 808/674 on 93/BOOSTane Tune.
I don't have any idea what caused it but if you are saying the tune was for 93 with Boostane that sounds like running 93 with Boostane wouldn't protect against bad gas.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
800whp/ 18psi using Boostane on 93 pump sounds like running close to the edge TBH.

I'd want to be running E85 at that power level, but thats just me.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Running the tank that low without it being sumped (if that’s even possible with these cars?), matted etc... is risky, for hard acceleration, curves.
I’ve been building boosted (Turbo) cars for many years and 99% of the failures I’ve seen have been octain/tuning related, resulting in mechanical failure. For yours since I don’t know your builder let’s assume (I know) the motor was done correctly. Any idea on the compression it was built too?
Anyway 18psi @ 10/11-1 compression with 93 pump with any octane booster is not a recipe for the long term in any motor, it leaves zero error margin. BTW IATS help in tuning but EGTs tell more in boosted set ups.

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
My recent build failed after 1000 miles. The cause being relayed to me is the piston rings unseated on 3 cylinders due to excessive heat causing massive blowby and spraying oil everywhere mostly back through the throttle body and air intake/box filter etc. Cause is being said to be going lean due possible to
#1 Fuel System Aerated. #2 Bad Fuel #3 Too High IATs. Any thoughts on this? See below

#1 - I went into boost and as I did, the 1/4 tank light came on saying I have 50 miles to empty. Saying the fuel pumps Aerated due to low fuel? I had 1/4 of tank = 4 Gallons

Build = 2016 Mustang GT
Built 5.0 Motor w Sleeved Block - all the bells and whistles. Best of the Best in the motor - well known engine builder. Not going to name names. ARP Hardware, Manley Rods, Billet Oil pump gears, the works
Cammed
FORE Level 4 Fuel System
Kooks Long Tubes Catless
ID1300's
BRISK RR12S Plugs
Was dyno tuned for break in made SAE 808/674 on 93/BOOSTane Tune. Was told 16 degrees of timing

Did the engine builder offer a warranty?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Damn, that sucks OP!
Best of luck with everything.

800whp/ 18psi using Boostane on 93 pump sounds like running close to the edge TBH.
^I'll agree with that.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Running the tank that low without it being sumped (if that’s even possible with these cars?), matted etc... is risky, for hard acceleration, curves.
I’ve been building boosted (Turbo) cars for many years and 99% of the failures I’ve seen have been octain/tuning related, resulting in mechanical failure. For yours since I don’t know your builder let’s assume (I know) the motor was done correctly. Any idea on the compression it was built too?
Anyway 18psi @ 10/11-1 compression with 93 pump with any octane booster is not a recipe for the long term in any motor, it leaves zero error margin. BTW IATS help in tuning but EGTs tell more in boosted set ups.
Compression is 9.5:1

Sponsored

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80

Build = 2016 Mustang GT
9.5:1 Compression
Cammed
FORE Level 4 Fuel System
Kooks Long Tubes Catless
ID1300's
BRISK RR12S Plugs

Did you break in the motor? I usually break in motors for 2000 miles changing the oil multiple times and never getting on it

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

The tuner had full control. I relied on his expertise and knowledge and it was supposed to making power safely on the 93/BOOSTane tune. Key word was safely.

The E85 tune on same set up made 864/673

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you break in the motor? I usually break in motors for 2000 miles changing the oil multiple times and never getting on it
It was broken in on the dyno between the engine builder and tuner working together. Oil was scheduled to be changed at 2000 miles. It was changed just before the 1000 mark however and no issues

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
It was broken in on the dyno between the engine builder and tuner working together. Oil was scheduled to be changed at 2000 miles. It was changed just before the 1000 mark however and no issues
Has the builder offered to help with a new motor? Discount at least?

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
MMR engine?
It's not limited to MMR, my best friend had his Livernois block drop a sleeve and they refused to admit fault. By the time he got there, they redecked the block even though he told them he was coming to inspect it himself.

I haven't seen a large shop take ownership of their screwups in nearly 10 years. Heck even the small shops are starting to do it because they know they can get away with it. There are just too many hands in the pot. That's probably why all these complete solution shops charge so much extra.
Sponsored