2018 low oil pressure

Minivanracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Took the TT 18 to a weekend meet. Got about 5 runs in and on the 6 th run, 40 roll it went into like a limp mode. Prob happened around 100 mph. Low oil pressure. Immediately cut it off. Pulled over. Started it back up and said normal. Thought maybe a glitch. Tried again. Only does it when wot. But literally can cut it off and it's back to normal. Called it a night. Drove it all the way home an hour away cruising 70 mph with normal oil pressure. Car has boundry oil pump gears and sprocket. Cruised an hour on the interstate back home watching oil pressure on n gauge. No noises etc. Car runs like a sewing machine. Just don't know where to start. Never had any problems with the setup. Honestly shocked. Looking to see if anyone has experienced this. Key things.

*only when wot
*shut car off back to "normal"
*oil level fine
*saw steady 20-30 oil psi cruising home .

Anyone Thanks.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Whoa. That's a bit vexing. I'm thinking something with the oil suction pickup line at high rpm. But that's just a guess. You've got good pump gears. But can't help but wonder if something isn't going on with the pump as well...

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Ok , you never said if you checked the oil level ?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s some info about the EOT sensor which may relate to your concern:
9B7E6A17-004A-4845-AFA0-0D2DAA23E7AC.jpeg
207C0F98-8F41-44E9-BE73-BF54977E32DA.jpeg
D66E0A8C-BFA1-4719-A905-520441AB6511.jpeg

PINPONT TEST DL = Cylinder Head Temp Sensor (CHT)

PINPOINT TEST DX = Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECT)

—

Pay close attention to DY3 in the above docs - Customer’s Driving Habits. It states there:
incorrect transmission gear selection and high RPM for an extended period initializes the engine protection strategy.
Now there’s no definition of “extended period” relating to how long or short that would be defined as for the sensor to activate its strategy (illumination of light in cluster).

It’s very possible you have a faulty sensor OR that the programmed parameters kicked in as it should to protect the engine.

Can you give more info as to your actual runs? What was outside temps at the time? Do you know what your CHT was at the time before or after the runs?

This would explain why you did not experience any EOT illumination on your drive home - because the car was being operated within normal conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Minivanracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Here’s some info about the EOT sensor which may relate to your concern:
9B7E6A17-004A-4845-AFA0-0D2DAA23E7AC.jpeg
207C0F98-8F41-44E9-BE73-BF54977E32DA.jpeg
D66E0A8C-BFA1-4719-A905-520441AB6511.jpeg

PINPONT TEST DL = Cylinder Head Temp Sensor (CHT)

PINPOINT TEST DX = Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECT)

—

Pay close attention to DY3 in the above docs - Customer’s Driving Habits. It states there:

Now there’s no definition of “extended period” relating to how long or short that would be defined as for the sensor to activate its strategy (illumination of light in cluster).

It’s very possible you have a faulty sensor OR that the programmed parameters kicked in as it should to protect the engine.

Can you give more info as to your actual runs? What was outside temps at the time? Do you know what your CHT was at the time before or after the runs?

This would explain why you did not experience any EOT illumination on your drive home - because the car was being operated within normal conditions.
I was tacked up in sport mode about to hit it on the 3rd honk. Was prob tacked up maybe 4k rpms for about 5 seconds as soon as I hit it car went into limp mode..

Things I've done today.

Changed oil
Fresh 10qts
Fresh filter
And just installed a new oil pressure switch. Still going into low oil pressure mode. My tuner. Lund said everything looks good in the log. Vct holding strong. Just low oil pressure. Like 15 idle but only goes to about 34psi wot. And it's commanding 100+ wot. Ugh. wonder if I could have broken or barely cracked my boundry oil pump gears??? I highly doubt it. It runs to smooth and no weird noises.

OP
OP

Minivanracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
@DickR you seem pretty smart. Any help appreciated.

So far to update everyone. I replaced the following

Fresh oil and filter
Oil pressure switch

Thinking it's the oil pressure control solenoid. Which is next to the switch. Im stupid for not trying this first. It's what actually controls oil pressure from my understanding.

I found a thread where @DickR mentioned there's a 15a fuse that controls this solenoid. If he sees this maybe he can tell me where and which fuse this is. Im really pulling my hair out ugh. Thanks everyone for the help so far. Hate I have to be the one going through this. But hopefully I figure it out and maybe it'll help someone in the future

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thinking it's the oil pressure control solenoid. Which is next to the switch. Im stupid for not trying this first. It's what actually controls oil pressure from my understanding.

I found a thread where @DickR mentioned there's a 15a fuse that controls this solenoid. If he sees this maybe he can tell me where and which fuse this is.
The owner's manual should have a listing and location of all the fuses in the car.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Minivanracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The owner's manual should have a listing and location of all the fuses in the car.
You're absolutely right. Already looked. Can't find which one exactly controls it. DickR seems to have access to FSM is why I asked him.. I've seen his other post. He's very smart. Me not so much:)

OP
OP

Minivanracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Here is the troubleshooting procedure from the service manual. Are you getting any DTC codes? It looks like you should be getting a code if the solenoid fails.
These are the codes that I got.
20190901_000435.jpg

Zed09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 Magnaride MT82 Whipple 3.75
It looks like you have three other DTC codes, what are they?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
@DickR you seem pretty smart. Any help appreciated.

So far to update everyone. I replaced the following

Fresh oil and filter
Oil pressure switch

I found a thread where @DickR mentioned there's a 15a fuse that controls this solenoid. If he sees this maybe he can tell me where and which fuse this is. Im really pulling my hair out ugh. Thanks everyone for the help so far. Hate I have to be the one going through this. But hopefully I figure it out and maybe it'll help someone in the future
It looks like Zed09's post (post 12 above) with the troubleshooting info covers everything I'm likely to find. I have no personal existing knowledge or experience other than the info I posted regarding why the oil pressure "jumps" at higher rpm with the 18 GT's. My car is completely stock internally and externally running the oem tune on premium pump gas for street and F Street autocross. Oil is 5W-20 Synthetic Valvoline (previously Mobil 1).
Sponsored