Sponsored

Engine decel rattle

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Most guys using Ceratec report that it cures the BBQ/typewriter tick. My theory on the BBQ tick is excessive rod side clearance and/or excessive crankshaft end play. A few guys here with the BBQ tick found their rod side clearance out of factory spec.

The car in the video in Post #1 sounds like it's got more than just the BBQ tick going on ... as heard with some engine revs.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My '19 GT built in December of '18 has this deceleration rattle sometimes.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
I had is when it was cold, but now i have it all the time.
Ford said to me its normal...what can i do? Do you have it too all time? It getting worse...

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same hot and cold...

I had is when it was cold, but now i have it all the time.
Ford said to me its normal...what can i do? Do you have it too all time? It getting worse...

Sponsored

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a chain/vct rattle on engine decel when cold on your 18? It seems to be under 3K rpm and is pretty pronounced. I recall seeing a TSB for the F150 coyote for a very similar issue. Here is a video link to the noise. Fast forward to 1:25 through 1:37 or so. This is the same video I did to record the tick. I searched and didn't find a specific mention of this particular noise. Could have missed it though.
Your video displays both the tick & the 2k rattle.
Instead of blipping the throttle...hold it at the rpm the rattle appears and try to chase down where the noise source might be....

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
In my shopping for a 19 GT, I looked at both a new auto and a manual car. Neither had the BBQ tick but when cold both had that exact rattle that is heard in the first video. I heard it blipping the throttle in both cars exactly like the OP is doing in the video. I drove the auto car on a good test drive and got it up to operating temperature really well. I did not hear the rattle when the car was warm. I had driven the manual car previously and just got in and went rather than really listening for any noises. When I was going to drive it a second time, I was more serious and thus was listening and heard the rattle. So, I just moved to the auto car and heard the noise in it as well. So is that really the infamous 2K rattle I have read about or is this a third noise in addition to the tick and rattle? I still have not bought a new GT yet even though that drive in the auto has me itching to get back in another mustang. But man alive....all these noises....can they all really be normal?

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Your video displays both the tick & the 2k rattle.
Instead of blipping the throttle...hold it at the rpm the rattle appears and try to chase down where the noise source might be....
I know, fantastic isn't it. :headbang: I did try that but the only way I seem to be able to replicate the noise is by the momentum of the transition from engine acceleration to deceleration. It is the specific action of reving to a given RPM and releasing the accelerator. Almost like the chain tensioner is momentarily releasing (or not applying) proper tension on the chain. But simply holding a specific RPM will not replicate the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
In my shopping for a 19 GT, I looked at both a new auto and a manual car. Neither had the BBQ tick but when cold both had that exact rattle that is heard in the first video. I heard it blipping the throttle in both cars exactly like the OP is doing in the video. I drove the auto car on a good test drive and got it up to operating temperature really well. I did not hear the rattle when the car was warm. I had driven the manual car previously and just got in and went rather than really listening for any noises. When I was going to drive it a second time, I was more serious and thus was listening and heard the rattle. So, I just moved to the auto car and heard the noise in it as well. So is that really the infamous 2K rattle I have read about or is this a third noise in addition to the tick and rattle? I still have not bought a new GT yet even though that drive in the auto has me itching to get back in another mustang. But man alive....all these noises....can they all really be normal?
I personally think its a 3rd noise. The BBQ tick is there...been there apparently with the coyote from the beginning. Not worried about that. Supposedly the slap issue is suppose to be piston related, maybe, not convinced on that, wondering if Condor1970 isn't correct in that its the DI pump as it can get pretty noisy after is gets hot and the third is the decel rattle that "sounds" like the chain slapping around. But, as you said, for now, my "rattle" goes away once warm. The slap never really changes (one of the reasons I think its more DI related since engine heat should have some impact) and the tick just comes and goes. Just like Jetnoise said, worse after oil change but gets a little better as time goes on.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I am taking in mine again on the 17th for the lift off rattle

It has been documented earlier, this time around they have to come up with an answer.
They already have your answer for you....

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lift off rattle is the 2k rattle...
It will start off as that and progress on certain days to be more than just lift off.
You’ll see in a few more months/miles
Sponsored