2016 GT350

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
And chasing HP numbers is somehow a bad thing?
Did I say chasing HP was a bad thing? I don't think so. I rather spend the money on track time as that will assure me a consistent and faster lap times then say I added 10 HP.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A 10.5HP increase over an already Open element design? We'll take it, I've seen as low as 8whp and as high as 15whp on a dyno. Same day, same timing.

Thanks for posting.

OP
OP

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Did I say chasing HP was a bad thing? I don't think so. I rather spend the money on track time as that will assure me a consistent and faster lap times then say I added 10 HP.
I sleep better knowing I'm not leaving 10 hp on the table.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
65soch - did you ever have an opportunity to test any other intakes? Would you recommend this one over others?

Sponsored

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
I hope one day Im a good enough driver on the track to notice and clock the difference between 526HP and 536HP :)

OP
OP

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
65soch - did you ever have an opportunity to test any other intakes? Would you recommend this one over others?
PMAS was supposed to send me two to test and report back on, a tune and a no tune, but as of yet they have not. The JLT flows better than stock, though I'd say it is still somewhat of a compromise. The best intakes use some sort of a bell mouth at the inlet to minimize turbulence and provide the cleanest possible signal to the MAF sensor. JLT uses a straight tube which could potentially create turbulence. To minimize this the filter has an internal, multi-layer stainless steel mesh. Older style factory MAF housings incorporated this type of screen and were often found to be quite restrictive. I suspect that is why the reading I got was somewhat higher than expected. Steeda uses a machined billet velocity stake in their intakes. The one I tested on my Boss had a negative pressure of around 6-8 inches of water which, for all intents and purposes, is zero restriction. Unfortunately they don't make an intake for the Shelby. We're not talking about big differences here, but differences nonetheless. PMAS also uses some sort of velocity stack design. I only wish they would send me one to evaluate.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
PMAS was supposed to send me two to test and report back on, a tune and a no tune, but as of yet they have not. The JLT flows better than stock, though I'd say it is still somewhat of a compromise. The best intakes use some sort of a bell mouth at the inlet to minimize turbulence and provide the cleanest possible signal to the MAF sensor. JLT uses a straight tube which could potentially create turbulence. To minimize this the filter has an internal, multi-layer stainless steel mesh. Older style factory MAF housings incorporated this type of screen and were often found to be quite restrictive. I suspect that is why the reading I got was somewhat higher than expected. Steeda uses a machined billet velocity stake in their intakes. The one I tested on my Boss had a negative pressure of around 6-8 inches of water which, for all intents and purposes, is zero restriction. Unfortunately they don't make an intake for the Shelby. We're not talking about big differences here, but differences nonetheless. PMAS also uses some sort of velocity stack design. I only wish they would send me one to evaluate.
Fair enough. Thank you for the info. I am very curious if they will ever get around to sending you one. I'd love to hear the results.

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
I just finished the comparison. I ran a piece of silicone tubing from the breather fitting on the intake elbow into the cockpit where I connected the other end to a water column manometer. I then did several WOT accelerations to 7500 in second gear while my wife took the pressure readings. The results:

stock: 21 inches of water
JLT: 12.5 inches of water

To put this in perspective, a difference of 8.5 inches of water equals .02 atmospheres.

.02x526hp=10.5hp This would be the gain one could expect as a result of the reduced pumping loss.
Thank you for the detailed information and testing. On the dyno though, the difference between the stock CAI and the JLT CAI was only 3HP after the car was tuned. We did a specific tune for the JLT, dyno runs on the same day after a cool down and that was the max gain, nothing of real importance under the curve either.

I decided to keep the stock CAI as it does not stand out at the dealership during service. ;) Nothing against JLT, I use their CAI kits on my other Cobras, plus their V3 Oil Separators on my GT350. I just did not see any real gains above the stock unit with a tune and spent the money on suspension improvements.

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Thank you for the detailed information and testing. On the dyno though, the difference between the stock CAI and the JLT CAI was only 3HP after the car was tuned. We did a specific tune for the JLT, dyno runs on the same day after a cool down and that was the max gain, nothing of real importance under the curve either.

I decided to keep the stock CAI as it does not stand out at the dealership during service. ;) Nothing against JLT, I use their CAI kits on my other Cobras, plus their V3 Oil Separators on my GT350. I just did not see any real gains above the stock unit with a tune and spent the money on suspension improvements.
So you are running the stock cai with a tune? What was the overall power gain with the stock cai?

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To get an accurate read on power improvements from any tuning adjustment, you need to hook up a diagnostic gizmo (Forscan comes to mind) and read (log) the MAF airflow PID on the ECU. Power is a factor of pounds per minute of airflow, so to see what's going on, just look directly at airlflow when comparing CAI's.

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I went from having a tune with long tube headers and exhaust to adding a JLT and a new tune to run the JLT intake. It was a 10hp gain on the same dyno. I’m ignorant when it comes to tuning that’s why I pay someone to do it but if the car was already tuned and the adjustments were made just to run the JLT intake. How can you say 10 hp was only coming from the tune?
Sponsored