jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I get the prestige thing, but some of those guys will go to the track in these exotics and they won’t be too happy about the C8Z giving them fits...so i think just that alone will force the exotics to up the ante even more. Personally, i can’t wait to see it unfold.
Sponsored

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
Because its all about MONEY. Without MONEY you are not buying these toys and having fun. If they are priced similar to each other it doesn't matter if they are in a different class or league. Due to the price point, these cars become comparable. You can argue that one has a back seat but not really usable for adults and even tight for kids. Vette also has two trunks with enough storage space. The motor is a beast but alone is nothing if the car is heavy, no fast shifting auto and not fast enough. What is the point of that engine you tell everyone? Making noise? Revving to pass 8000 rpm? Or to make the car actually go fast in a straight line and around a corner? People buy these cars and compare pricing and performance. There will always be die hard brand loyal and enthusiasts who will still go for one over another. For them money is not an issue or the performance per dollar value. But those people are also not even in the 1% of the actual buyers out there. Now you have an idea of what we are dealing with.
The GT350 is a much better experience and a drivers car. The GT350R is a race car.
The ‘19 with track pack is ready to go from the dealer delivery.
Neither of the GT350 models are dead, but the Corvette is still a GM car and that is not good
for America, since they sold out thousands of auto workers to make cars in Communist China.
China is our enemy...no one should buy the Vette or any GM product till they close their plants in China and bring em back home. Ford has a couple plants in China, they too should be closed and bring them back.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The GT350 is a much better experience and a drivers car. The GT350R is a race car.
Neither of the GT350 models are dead, but the Corvette is still a GM car and that is not good
for America, since they sold out thousands of auto workers to make cars in Communist China.
China is our enemy...no one should buy the Vette or any GM product till they close their plants in China and bring em back home. Ford has a couple plants in China, they too should be closed and bring them back.
You do know that the cars made in China are sold in China, right?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

The Envision made its U.S. debut at the North American International Auto Show on January 11, 2016, as a compact CUV,[9] sharing the segment with a second generation GMC Terrain and the Chevrolet Equinox.[10] It went on sale in the United States in the summer of 2016, making it the first Chinese-built GM vehicle to be sold in America.[11]

Assembly China: SAIC GM Dong Yue Foundry, Yantai, Shandong
280px-Buick_Envision_4_China_2015-04-21.jpg

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The Envision made its U.S. debut at the North American International Auto Show on January 11, 2016, as a compact CUV,[9] sharing the segment with a second generation GMC Terrain and the Chevrolet Equinox.[10] It went on sale in the United States in the summer of 2016, making it the first Chinese-built GM vehicle to be sold in America.[11]

Compare the volume of the Envision imported from China to the US to the volume of cars GM makes and sells in China. It will be very similar to comparing the number of Shelbys sold to the number of F-150s sold. It’s a pimple on an elephant’s ass.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Compare the volume of the Envision imported from China to the US to the volume of cars GM makes and sells in China. It will be very similar to comparing the number of Shelbys sold to the number of F-150s sold. It’s a pimple on an elephant’s ass.
I went ahead and did the math for you.

General Motors annual vehicle production in China; 1.8M vehicles per year.
Envisions sold in US in 2018 (last full year of sales): 29,647
Percent of Chinese built GM vehicles sold in US: 1.7%

Ford F-150 sold in US in 2018: 586,438
Shelbys sold in US in 2018 : 3,548
Percent of Shelbys sold compared to F150 0.6%

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True but if Trump hadn't started the trade war with China I bet there would be a lot more cars GM would be building there and bringing over here.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True but if Trump hadn't started the trade war with China I bet there would be a lot more cars GM would be building there and bringing over here.
There would not. I know more about GM’s product plan than I should, having spent 20 years in Product Planning. Some things have changed, I’m sure, but the basic strategy has not. The ONLY products that ever stood a chance of coming from China are products that don’t exist in North American plants and where there is not capacity to add them to North American plants. That was the case with Envision. China product is for China sale.

Now, back to GT350 and C8.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Normally I would welcome outsourcing manufacturing, but only if the other country behaves as an economic partner, and not an adversary. Partnering necessarily includes honoring intellectual property rights, not stealing information, etc.

The position might sound overly protectionist, but some of the things China has done concern me greatly. Pretending as though it's as simple as saving some money on transportation and labor doesn't do the truth justice.

Some of this information has only come to light recently, so I don't blame US companies for having production in China. However, I have to agree with others that removing production from China looks like the correct ethical move at this time.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with others that removing production from China looks like the correct ethical move at this time.
Companies and corporations don't care about correct or ethical just about profit everything else is secondary or expectable risk

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Wow you really drink the cool aid from more than one source.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
The GT350R is a race car.
GT350R's not a race car, it's track-ready street car. Something like GT4's a race car.

While I believe that something needs to be done to mitigate the trade imbalance, by your logic, we shouldn't be buying any Ford products until all of its plants close in China, either. Also, won't Corvettes be built in the U.S. (Bowling Green, Kentucky)?

Status
Not open for further replies.