Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Torsen swap scheduled for Wednesday, 5/29 at JPC Racing. Also ordered some BG 75W90 diff fluid with additive to go with it. Also, hope to get the APR front splitter installed soon as well as the PP firewall extension brace (already have the strut tower and cowl brace).

It's happening.
:rockon:

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So after 500 or so miles on the new Steeda rotors and GS1 brake pads - I like the braking now. I have an improved confidence in stopping. It seems to modulate a little better than stock being that it isn't very touchy initially but if I add more pressure it bites very good. I am not seeing the real benefits in my street driving and of course the tires are the ultimate deciding factor in being able to stop, but I like the added confidence. And in fact I am still adjusting to it and I can brake much later than I have been.

Really excited about getting the Torsen on. Hoping I see a large benefit from that. However, not really knowing what to expect - we shall see. From what I hear the stock Trak lok is crap in comparison to the Torsen so I should be in a for a nice upgrade. Plus the fact that the gears in the diff don't really wear very much is added bonus. The 3.55 gears should be a nice improvement I think. Not that its lacking, but I could use some more low end torque, particularly in 2nd and 3rd gears. Should add some much needed get-up-and-go to the driving experience.

Right now, super pleased with how the car handles. The balance seems very good to me. The switch to the smaller rear bar was a great decision. The rear has a higher grip threshold which is allowing me to power out of corners better. And I can get the rear end to step out a little bit if I push it pretty hard in a corner. But its predictable and not razor edge.

Really all I think it needs is the Torsen to help control and getting power down even more effectively. And I'm doing the APR front splitter (hopefully this week), which should help some with stability at higher speeds. I'm hoping, the splitter doesn't upset the balance of the car's appearance. Up to now I've maintained a cleaner, more stockish look. I'm a little concerned that the big splitter might draw attention to the rear of the car. But I'm going through with it so stay tuned to see how it turns out!

Washed the car this weekend. She's sittin' pretty right now.
20190527_185625.jpg

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Quick question...I am also planning on doing the APR splitter and was wondering if you are doing the rods as well or just using more screw to secure it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Quick question...I am also planning on doing the APR splitter and was wondering if you are doing the rods as well or just using more screw to secure it?
Yes, I am using the support rods. Also its highly recommended to use blue loctite when you mount it on the underside. Some people have had it fly off on the highway. There's a fair amount force on that lip at speed.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Well car is at JPC getting the differential swapped. I will report back!

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The Torsen differential and 3.55 gear swap is done! I went to JPC in Millersville to have them install it, and I had them do the APR splitter too while I was at there. The gears definitely give the car more pep. I can already see this is going to be fun! Lol

I haven't been able to test out the Torsen yet. So no time for review yet but impressions are very positive.

Here is a quick pic of what the splitter looks like:
20190530_193007.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Can't wait for you to get a chance to push it.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OK, so quick review. More like preview before the actual review.

The gears are really fun! Makes the car much more responsive. It might be as influential as the tune, CAI, manifold and E85 all combined. The power band is much more easily accessible, which makes sense of course. And I can appreciate my Gibson exhaust more because 3000-4000 rpm is much more a common occurrence now. I underestimated how much gears could make a difference.

She's a more nimble beast now. Not just because of the gears, but really the Torsen. This thing is incredible. I can't put into words how to truly describe it. It's always on and you feel it. There's a sense of control really at any given point. I went in not knowing what to expect. There's actually a lot of differences I've noticed, which I can go into more detail at a later date. But, it drives very smooth, and the power application is seamless. Now I haven't push pushed the car bc I am getting used to it and cuz it's on the street but I pushed it pretty good earlier today. One particular situation I was making a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear and putting throttle down pretty aggressively and I could feel the outside tire laying down the power, with tires screeching, just carving around the turn. There is another turn near my house which occurs directly after a hill where you need to slow way down. The pavement is broken and poor. My old diff would not put power down on the exit until the car had settled. Today - it kept applying power and kicked into a nice power slide. There's a couple other situations where I could induce yaw very easily and control it.

I am also very pleased with how the splitter came out. I was a little worried it would be "too much"? But now I dont think that at all. It looks pretty sick. And from the side view of the car it is subtle enough. It met or exceeded my expectations and makes an impression in person.

I will post more details later, because honestly the car has completely changed to me. I am astonished. Can't believe how much the diff changed the feel of the car. With cars alot of it's about feel and that part in the driving experience. That emotion that you get from it that car guys understand. But now I can't wait to get back in it and test it out!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Pushed the car HARD today on some back roads. Spectacular! Truly. The Torsen differential is a massive, massive difference. The rotation of the rear end planting power in the corners is superb. Power slides easily, predictably. Also, the confidence and added composure to the overall handling is astounding. Stability at high speeds in corners was effortless (and the APR splitter maybe contributing to this). Its been increased greatly. I've never had this much fun in my car. The sheer exhilaration I cannot describe to you.

I love the 3.55 gears so far. And I do understand why Ford puts 3.15s in the base car now too. Better for DDing and putting around town. I will need to get use to them! Lol When I was romping on it today in 3rd I had to slow down and hit the paddle to downshift, the car said no no no lol. It knew it was going to overrev to it would allow me. But spinning this beast out to 7800-8000 rpm, on E85R tune, I have really spoiled myself now Haha.

Also another note: did not do Forscan, flash a tune or anything for the gear change. Speedometer basically dead on (1mph off and that could be my 285/35R19 tires) confirmed with GPS. No issues with power or shifting. I have full power in all gears and all RPMs. I will update if I do notice anything, but so far nothing.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I haven't checked in for awhile. Made some changes...

I switched out the JLT intake for a cp-e ICEBOX intake (closed box) in effort to combat the IAT rising. Well, in the process, I found interference with the hood, creating a small hood-fender gap. Cause was my 18 manifold and different angle of the TB. For some reason I had more trouble than most. Put the JLT back and on what do I find? Same issue but not as bad, I just never noticed it.

So I set on finding a 2018-19 style intake as I thought it would work better given the 18 manifold. Enter the Roush intake. Closed box, 105mm maf with insert removed. OEM like fitment/airpath. It took some finagling not gonna lie bc this engine bay is so dang tight. The box seals good and the air inlet lines up perfectly to the stock fresh air feed. I'm happy.

Next, I set out to evaluate my APR splitter and why it wasn't fitting right. Had a performance shop here in MD do it, and come to find out they mounted it completely wrong. No support in front-middle at all causing it dip in the middle and higher on the edges. Also, I began to feel as if I'd strayed from my vision for the car. I want a "OEM-modified" look from it and the APR splitter doesn't fit that really. Lastly, concerns over the integrity of it at high speeds turned me off. To accomplish what I wanted I'd need to drill through the crash bar to mount the support rods, which is more than I have confidence in doing myself.

So off it went. Back to the stock base splitter. It will soon be replaced. While bumper was off, dremmeled out the honey combs on driver side and put on a Velossa tech ram air piece. Now I have straight through sealed airpath into my airbox. IAT has decreased and my throttle response seems to have sharpened a bit.

While I was at it (because the shop snapped my bumper clips) put on quik latches. After a lot of tries finally got it adjusted so the passenger side is OEM like gap and driver side even better maybe. The stock splitter I will be replacing shortly with a California Special one (for looks really). I think that will fit my vision better and look good with the GT350 TP spoiler on the back.

Thanks to Tim for helping my remove the bumper, dremmeling and doing the quik latches. We put in a hard days work on Sunday. You the man Tim.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Also, I think what I found with the IAT is that a significant amount of it comes from backwash off the radiator coming into the air path. The closed box alone is not going to get you all the way there. And in some ways the closed box can make the IAT a little higher because what heat does get drawn in is trapped there with no way out until the car moves. Something to keep in mind.

I forgot to add I also stiffened up the BMR front sway bar to middle setting a few weeks back. Still evaluating the effects. It has definitely increased my turn in response. But there is a getting used to handling balance kinda thing going on and I also have the Torsen now too, which changes dynamic behavior, to which I had not factored in previously. And still need to install the cowl extension panel. Started on it tonight but stuff came up. I never realized that my strut tower and Kbrace was not functioning optimally without that extension panel.

First track day is 9/1. Going to put in the R10 race pads up front for some extra braking confidence (thanks BmacIL). After that I should be in a better spot to reevaluate all the changes I've made.

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after 9/1. Still Loving my setup and appreciate the guidance that threads like this one offered.
Sponsored