Sponsored

Lund Tune questions (93 and e85)

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Alright guys, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong.. I did some testing with a ethanol content sensor plumbed into my fail rail with a bluetooth analyzer VS Ford's flex logic with a Lund FLEX tune on my 19 GT350.

I tested ethanol content at various levels from E10-E70. Each time I filled over 4 gallons in the tank and let the PCM learn for less than 5 miles each time. I compared the readout on my bluetooth sensor app to the alcohol % PID in the SCT LiveLink software. Each time the calculated % was DEAD ON. The app didn't have decimals, so if the app showed 25%, livelink would show 25.34 or something like that. INSANE how accurate Ford's FLEX logic is.

Ive also found if you can get into the throttle a bit during the learn period, the computer has a faster time learning than if you just let it idle. Lund's advice was actually to let the car idle for 10min. during a relearn, but I have found the opposite works better to get an accurate learned alcohol %. The reason is because at idle it takes forever to get the fresh fuel into the lines, while driving within a minute or two you have the new mix flowing into the injectors.
Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
^ Thanks so much for testing and posting results. I'm surprised to read how accurate it is... not because I doubt the improved technology, but because I clearly remember the days of crappy ECU tuning technology. LOL

My local gas station was having trouble with E85 supply (pump was only flowing at 0.2 gallon/minute = 30 minute fillup last two trips!), so I've switched back to 93 tune for the time being. I'll flip it back to E85 in August, assuming my local E85 station figures things out...

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have a suspicion if you had a vacuum leak, that it would throw off your learned alcohol % too. I think using the accurateness of the learned % vs the sensor % could be a good indication of how well/accurately your PCM is getting sensor readouts and running in general. The algo is using knock detection and AFRs to figure it out, so if either are off, then it will probably throw off your learned % too.

If they start deviating, probably means i need a tuneup lol

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Alright guys, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong.. I did some testing with a ethanol content sensor plumbed into my fail rail with a bluetooth analyzer VS Ford's flex logic with a Lund FLEX tune on my 19 GT350.

I tested ethanol content at various levels from E10-E70. Each time I filled over 4 gallons in the tank and let the PCM learn for less than 5 miles each time. I compared the readout on my bluetooth sensor app to the alcohol % PID in the SCT LiveLink software. Each time the calculated % was DEAD ON. The app didn't have decimals, so if the app showed 25%, livelink would show 25.34 or something like that. INSANE how accurate Ford's FLEX logic is.

Ive also found if you can get into the throttle a bit during the learn period, the computer has a faster time learning than if you just let it idle. Lund's advice was actually to let the car idle for 10min. during a relearn, but I have found the opposite works better to get an accurate learned alcohol %. The reason is because at idle it takes forever to get the fresh fuel into the lines, while driving within a minute or two you have the new mix flowing into the injectors.
I run the Flex tune, Jon Jr left instructions to run the car at 2500 or so RPM for the learn to run the best. I been doing that every since I did the tune, which was when I did the headers. So it been on the car for a bit. Love it. Never had a issue.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I run the Flex tune, Jon Jr left instructions to run the car at 2500 or so RPM for the learn to run the best. I been doing that every since I did the tune, which was when I did the headers. So it been on the car for a bit. Love it. Never had a issue.
From my experience, the learn is not accurate until you get some load. I tried slow revs myself, two issues,you still have to wait for fuel from the lines to be pushed through. Second, the algo works best under load.
I was testing via a plumbed content sensor vs learned %.It locked in when I got into throttle.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
From my experience, the learn is not accurate until you get some load. I tried slow revs myself, two issues,you still have to wait for fuel from the lines to be pushed through. Second, the algo works best under load.
I was testing via a plumbed content sensor vs learned %.It locked in when I got into throttle.
Slow revs or idle usually put me about 3-6% off true content %
While I don't have a measurement device, I find that the algorithm responds MUCH faster when there is load on the motor. I am super careful when there is a large adjustment necessary, but get more aggressive with small adjustments.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
While I don't have a measurement device, I find that the algorithm responds MUCH faster when there is load on the motor. I am super careful when there is a large adjustment necessary, but get more aggressive with small adjustments.
Yea at the end of the day even if the % is off, the fuel trims will correct for any error, although you may not have optimized timing. A few % off won't make a big difference.
This big changes from straight 93 to full tank of e85 as long as you easy into it and aren't at WOT when the new fuel hits the injectors it'll be fine.

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Past: F40, 512M, 512, Diablo SE30, LM002, 360 Stad
How does the Lund tune work on cars here in California where we can only get 91 octane?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
How does the Lund tune work on cars here in California where we can only get 91 octane?
Sorry no ideal...I would guess the same as a 93 tune. Your running E85, so whatever fuel is there is what the tune will go with when you do e85. It should flex from the 91` to E85. My F150 does that, but it was a "flex" engine from Ford to begin with. With the tune I have, I can run any mix of fuel with it or just straight e85.

Sponsored

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think ninjak is correct, but I would check with LUND first because i know one of there tuners & he said they will no longer sell in California or any new support, but if you are an existing customer they will continue to support you.

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the response, I'll give them a call to see what options are available.

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
Sorry no ideal...I would guess the same as a 93 tune. Your running E85, so whatever fuel is there is what the tune will go with when you do e85. It should flex from the 91` to E85. My F150 does that, but it was a "flex" engine from Ford to begin with. With the tune I have, I can run any mix of fuel with it or just straight e85.
Lund tune will adjust for the 91 vs 93. I already checked with them and they retain the factory adjustments for this.

Kane00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Great. My thought was to do a tune and headers but the more people I speak too, the warranty issue might just not be worth it.
Sponsored