Sponsored

C8 Z06

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am very happy to see a 600/620 NA version
I don't see how that's remotely mathematically possible. Though I think the confusion lies in lack of proper column labels. But even then... How the heck do you get 620lbft out of a 97x93 engine? 600HP at/near redline I could see, but again not at 5000RPM.

485x6500 = 600hp is reasonable, however.
Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Who said anything about a V12? Look up the dimensions of fords 5.2 v8. Now try to ad a little over two litters of displacement to that. You dont need 7 liters to make power. You can pull 800hp out of a 3.5 lt motor. Why ad weight just for the sake of having the biggest engine?
Because it's a corvette and the new big engine will help to consolidate the C8 platform and WIN races. So they need to make as much power as possible with it. Why would you want a crappy sized 3.5L motor that won't even sound like an american car in a corvette and won't make any torque either if they can fit something way bigger in there that will do everything right, why not? Please, leave that for the european that buy a gallon of gas for 10 bucks and NEED those tiny engines. They can save the weight in other areas adding more carbon fibre, etc... etc... I could save weight going on a diet, maybe you could too? lol

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 is first year of course, so who knows what kind of issues or quirks may crop up? It also may be brilliant, but time will tell. I would be really hesitant to buy a clean-sheet design like that in its first year. But... somebody wants to be the first to show up at Cars and Coffee with one, right?

For us older guys, a plain vanilla GT Mustang has as much or more HP than yesterdays supercars. It's a great time to be a car enthusiast.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Today I looked on the internet and I saw Ford SOHC engines in production cars. Not that they came that way. Do those count?
A large single over-head cam engine would already be a good improvement to the pushrod one in the corvette. It helps but is still inferior to DOHC in efficiency, that's why manufactures jump straight to double over head cam architecture and don't even consider that anymore. Don't be so concerned about weight and size, there are many ways to go around those things when you have the engine at the back of a sports car and an entire group of engineers paid to do that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
People like that want to hold on to nostalgia even if it means killing the companies in the process...

If you want things to stay the same, accept change...
And that's what happened to the dodge viper. I mean, this was one of the reasons that a beautiful car had to die.
" Only big V10 Pushrod accepted here with manual transmission, nothing else."

I heard that for years and years on Viper Club of America when I had mine. Guess what? RIP.:crying:

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A large single over-head cam engine would already be a good improvement to the pushrod one in the corvette. It helps but is still inferior to DOHC in efficiency, that's why manufactures jump straight to double over head cam architecture and don't even consider that anymore. Don't be so concerned about weight and size, there are many ways to go around those things when you have the engine at the back of a sports car and an entire group of engineers paid to do that.
I was mostly responding to a statement that a 7 liter DOHC V8 would be as big as a house.

The deck height of a small block Chevy is 9 inches. The deck height of a Chevy 454 is 9.8 inches.

The length of a small block Chevy is roughly 2 inches less than that of a Chevy big block.

So, you can get a lot more displacement out of a relatively small change in size. That is the point I was trying to make and that's why I don't see a problem with a 7 liter NA engine for any sports car. Especially if it's aluminum block and heads (which most NA engines are now).

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I don't see how that's remotely mathematically possible. Though I think the confusion lies in lack of proper column labels. But even then... How the heck do you get 620lbft out of a 97x93 engine? 600HP at/near redline I could see, but again not at 5000RPM.

485x6500 = 600hp is reasonable, however.

Katech has a simple pushrod LT1 making 800 NA...... just saying....

Its really nothing special either.

Excellent head design.
Excellent cam design.
High compression.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Excellent head design.
Excellent cam design.
High compression.
Nothing special. :crazy: :crackup:

Edit: yes we all know engines can make a lot of power. NASCAR has a million small block V8 engines making something on the order of 800 hp. Agree that it's very doable, but not that it isn't special.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Excellent head design.
Excellent cam design.
High compression.
Yes and a 7600 RPM redline pushing a stroked 4" long rod!
GM only managed to get a ~30HP bump (7%) going from the LT1 to LT2 which is a disgrace when a tuning shop bothered to do some engineering and came up with >40% improvement. I can't imagine GM couldn't have come up with a 20% improvement without destroying the longevity of the motor, especially if keeping the same primary dimensions.

There is nothing special or exotic about fully milling heads, spending some computer time analyzing fluid dynamics, or coming up with better valve placement and angle. Granted the unit cost is a lot higher than GM's engineered to a price-point solution. The KAtech pencils out to $120 per extra 1 HP which is actually quite reasonable. The Porsche and McLaren types are well north of $200.

Last edited:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
My point was simply that it can and has been doable using the current LT1/LT2 design.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
I was mostly responding to a statement that a 7 liter DOHC V8 would be as big as a house.

The deck height of a small block Chevy is 9 inches. The deck height of a Chevy 454 is 9.8 inches.

The length of a small block Chevy is roughly 2 inches less than that of a Chevy big block.

So, you can get a lot more displacement out of a relatively small change in size. That is the point I was trying to make and that's why I don't see a problem with a 7 liter NA engine for any sports car. Especially if it's aluminum block and heads (which most NA engines are now).
My bad,
The problem I see with that is the 7 litres of displacement in is a small block causes the cylinder walls to become way too thin like they were in the C6 Z06 engine. Everything becomes extremely fragile and brittle with the block. It's basically a small block at its limits of safety.
That C6 Z06 427 engine was a failure, an unreliable motor by chevrolet from the factory because was plagued with issues from the block to the cylinder heads. Anyways, I don't wanna get into that and cause another argument here, lol... but I agree that saves space but in a small block they probably learned that their 427 cid was not a successful move. They should've stay around 6.6 L , 400 cubic inches for more reliability in that expecific scenario but failed miserably.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT

Excellent head design.
Excellent cam design.
High compression.
I'm sure it's a killer engine but It couldn't arrive from the factory to the public like that, It would never pass emissions, it would have to be de-tuned to the order of 200-300 hp in order to do that. it's better to have 4 camshafts and 4 valves per cylinder. More control of the engine, even more power than what your mentioning, no problem with CAFE.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Yes and a 7600 RPM redline pushing a stroked 4" long rod!
GM only managed to get a ~30HP bump (7%) going from the LT1 to LT2 which is a disgrace when a tuning shop bothered to do some engineering and came up with >40% improvement. I can't imagine GM couldn't have come up with a 20% improvement without destroying the longevity of the motor, especially if keeping the same primary dimensions.

There is nothing special or exotic about fully milling heads, spending some computer time analyzing fluid dynamics, or coming up with better valve placement and angle. Granted the unit cost is a lot higher than GM's engineered to a price-point solution. The KAtech pencils out to $120 per extra 1 HP which is actually quite reasonable. The Porsche and McLaren types are well north of $200.
A much better option other than the Katech stuff already exists and it would fit the C8 way better:

7.0 Liter 750 HP @ 8000 rpm and 11.7: 1 Compression / Based on the LS !! / Edelbrock + Mercury partnership.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

https://www.mercuryracing.com/best-of-show/

This would be my dream to see that in a corvette. lol
Sponsored

Last edited: