Sponsored

A10 - what do you think of it?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Only had my new car a few days, but so far so good.

My '18 GT had the A10 as well. Zero issues and shifted great. I'm very happy with it.
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
So I've had this car a couples months now - no issues with the 10 speed except a couple times I mistakenly had it in "S" and notice it shifted different - the trany shifted like it had a "shift kit" in it - I didn't touch the paddles - now I'm too lazy to read the manual so what do I need to know about this? What do you guys with A10 think of it?
I traded a 6spd Shelby for this and love the 10 spd.a tip,it doesn't shift automatically I
In S
with paddles,but if you hold the up.shift button down for 4 secs it'll take it out of paddle shift.when you're in paddle mode you'll see 2 hands on either side if gear of gear icon.it disappears if you hold down + button.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Ok, feeling more motivated. ;).

I would say it has been by far the most fun rwd n/a car I have ever owned to date. With a E85 tune, slightly modified airbox, dry flow filter, GPE 88mm tb, and Flowmaster axle back the car flat rips! Would do it again in a heart beat.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
I want to get an A10 19 GT really bad, stays in the power band so nice. My car is making like 12 psi of boost on e85, my buddy has a 3.0 whipple A10 8 psi on 91. I make 800 wheel hes making about 670 and he was right on my ass the whole time 40-140. If he does e85 and 3.5 pulley its game over for me.

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One tip I mention in almost all of these threads is that if you want to pass, push the gas pedal all the way down and immediately lift it, then push it down again and that seems to tell the A10 to shift to the lowest possible gear for the speed, and it can get you up and moving. That works in D or S.

Lately I've found that if I do the same thing, but without pushing the pedal all the way down, it drops down a couple of gears, so it has a little less drama.

I'm not sure if any of this is by design, but it seems to work.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I tend to just pop the paddle rapidly a few times.
You can do that too :)

I find that lately, I just push down a little, lift, and push down again and I'm a few gears lower and I just go. Very fast and convenient.

I've also found that I think I just need to really learn about how the A10 works to get the most out of it. It's not the same as a manual, so for people who want that, it will never be a match, but I think it can offer more engagement than is normally thought of with an auto. On a twisty road, choosing S on the gear shift and S+ on the toggle, I find that in manual mode with the paddles, I'm only using about 3 gears, maybe 5, 6 and 7, and it's very manageable, and more fun than just staying in full auto.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
mines kind of jerky when coming to a stop in sport mode from 3rd to 1st when the computer does it

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
So just to make sure I'm clear on this subject - I can shift to "S" and drive it like an auto - yes?

Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
So just to make sure I'm clear on this subject - I can shift to "S" and drive it like an auto - yes?
Yes.
You will find that when in S driving normally/slowly you might be waiting for the transmission to up-shift. Some pause holding RPM the trans is wanting more gas pedal to satisfy the Sport function.

Could be confusing because some posts have mentioned the toggles that can alter the drive modes. Your ECO may not have toggles.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My personal opinion is that the Normal mode is pretty good (actually just a little bit too slushy), but in Sport or Sport+ mode the transmission sometimes shifts harshly, and holds onto a low gear too long after I've eased off the gas. If it was up to me, Sport mode would be a little milder and more consistent when it comes to the shift quality. (Track mode could be left as it is, for those who like the more aggressive shifting.)

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Wow, it only took 12 posts to call out OP for not reading his manual. Thank G-d for this forum.

No disrespect to either poster, just found it funny.
I think when the OP wrote: ". . . now I'm too lazy to read the manual so what do I need to know about this?" He kinda opened the door to some abuse . . .

[Full disclosure: I am also too lazy to read manuals, and only believe 1/2 of the interwebs. The other 1/2 I consider gospel . . .]

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
My personal opinion is that the Normal mode is pretty good (actually just a little bit too slushy), but in Sport or Sport+ mode the transmission sometimes shifts harshly, and holds onto a low gear too long after I've eased off the gas. If it was up to me, Sport mode would be a little milder and more consistent when it comes to the shift quality. (Track mode could be left as it is, for those who like the more aggressive shifting.)
I'm with you 100% on this . . .

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I think when the OP wrote: ". . . now I'm too lazy to read the manual so what do I need to know about this?" He kinda opened the door to some abuse . . .

[Full disclosure: I am also too lazy to read manuals, and only believe 1/2 of the interwebs. The other 1/2 I consider gospel . . .]
Do you happen to have a template for the halves as you distinguish them? I'm too lazy to develop my own.

For my own disclosure: I've used one brain all my life, and am very familiar with how it works, so when I lay it out against the 10-speed transmission usage, I can see if there are any differences between what my mind has in residence due to experience, and any new, unusual, unique, or remarkable differences between that and what's actually out there. The ten-speed acts very like my brain: leave it alone and let it do its work, it does an adequate job, very smoothly, with little effort. If there is occasion to crank it up, there are multiple levels of efficiency and width-of-apprehension available. There is an integrated search-and-discover function in the basic mind/brain, car inertia setup that acts instantly and decisively, making for a really nice experience all around.

I like it.
Sponsored