A10 - what do you think of it?

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
So I've had this car a couples months now - no issues with the 10 speed except a couple times I mistakenly had it in "S" and notice it shifted different - the trany shifted like it had a "shift kit" in it - I didn't touch the paddles - now I'm too lazy to read the manual so what do I need to know about this? What do you guys with A10 think of it?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Search “10R80” on here, you’ll find a ton of posts and info about the trans.

Simply put...

Trans in “S”: car will auto shift and shift points are more drawn out and firmer. However once driver touches paddle on steering wheel, car is in full manual mode and will not shift into next gear and the engine will redline UNTIL you manually shift into next gear.

Toggle switch into Drive Mode S+:
Same as above - but the throttle mapping is also changed to a more aggressive tune, car idles differently and exhaust sounds different.

Trans in “D”:
This is normal trans mode. The car will auto shift. The biggest difference here is if the driver touches the paddles, the driver can manually upshift, but the car will not redline and if the driver does not shift, the car will auto upshift itself.

That’s the skinny of it.

Have fun!

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I have the 355 rear gears and I love the performance of the A10. It gets a little crazy on downshifts in Drag Strip mode but I can deal with that.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think it would do fine with a few less gears. But, I like it. Manual transmissions used to have an advantage in performance, due to less frictional loses and more gears. Those days are long gone.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Love it

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Search “10R80” on here, you’ll find a ton of posts and info about the trans.

Toggle switch into Drive Mode S+:
Same as above - but the throttle mapping is also changed to a more aggressive tune, car idles differently and exhaust sounds different.

Have fun!
My car still reverts to auto shifting after using paddles in S+ mode

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
My car still reverts to auto shifting after using paddles in S+ mode
If you have the shifter in D and the drive mode toggle in S+ that’s normal operation. The shifter has to be in S in order to stay in paddle mode.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
If you have the shifter in D and the drive mode toggle in S+ that’s normal operation. The shifter has to be in S in order to stay in paddle mode.
Correct. I was just clarifying CobraJet's statement that S+ is the same as shifter in S with regards to full manual vs auto shifting.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's one of those things where a mode name is used twice and has slightly different behaviors (I get why this confuses some people). The toggle (since it's a global things) should contain S and then S+, and the shifter (since it's specifically for selecting a transmission operation mode), should be something like N >> D >> M (for manual, aka "paddle shifter").

I guess they figured if someone is using the paddles, they're probably driving more "sporting", so just double up the functions.

On topic: it's fantastic, I drove manuals the last couple of decades, I don't miss a thing. :)

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm to lazy to read the Manual that Ford made for me but I'll get on the internet and read a lot of missinformation... smh
Wow, it only took 12 posts to call out OP for not reading his manual. Thank G-d for this forum.

No disrespect to either poster, just found it funny.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
OK I read the manual - lol - little good it did - engineers can't talk plain english - I'm not sure what the "toggle" mention above is - my car is a base Ecoboost if that means anything - so in nut shell I can shift it into "S" and it will auto shift like a sport car right? I don't do paddles - I traded a '08 Vette for this car and I only used the paddles a couple times - boring - I'm 68 and when you shift gears a clutch pedal has to be involved. So far I'm very pleased with this car and the trany too - thanks for the above comments.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Lets say you had the car in manual mode. You go home and you park the car and it's in first gear. The next time you take a drive and you have it in automatic mode and you decide to shift it to manual mode, will that trans. shift into first gear? Or does it know not to go into a gear that shoves the engine past redline? Or how about you are in manual mode, in tenth gear doing 400 mph and try downshifting. Will it shift?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Lets say you had the car in manual mode. You go home and you park the car and it's in first gear. The next time you take a drive and you have it in automatic mode and you decide to shift it to manual mode, will that trans. shift into first gear? Or does it know not to go into a gear that shoves the engine past redline? Or how about you are in manual mode, in tenth gear doing 400 mph and try downshifting. Will it shift?
The computer won't let you do anything outside of its programmed safety parameters. I often use the down shift paddle to help decelerate at stop signs or slower speed limits. By contrast, the computer won't let you shift into a higher gear if it will bog the engine down.
Sponsored