HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hood turn signals? I have a '16 GT/PP as well and while "cool" they are useless. At 6'3" I am not a small person, and I still cannot see the passenger side
That's what I thought and even posted an ad to swap my GT hood for a V6 or Eco to get rid of the engineering embarrassment. But then I found my dash-cam can see both just fine. Important reason to have a dash cam is to support your side of the story after an accident/altercation.

So get a dash cam. Bonus: when new passengers point and laugh because only one of the indicators on the hood is visible, you can smugly point out their short-sightedness.

That or trade in for a '16 vert and drive standing up, if YOU want to see both.
Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
It's the same darn car is the reason you didn't want to trade.

I drove one and was like this is it? It's very much a lateral move.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
It's a valid argument. I have had two S197s and two S550s.

I like the retro and more raw feel of the S197, but I slso like the potential of the S550.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
That's why people feel like older cars will outrun the new ones.
People who think the muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's will "outrun" the new batch of muscle cars are people who haven't driven a modern muscle car made since 2011.

I grew up in the mid/late 80's. Me and all my friends had those early muscle cars. ALL of us. I had a 1970 Nova with a hot little small-block in it. I thought that car was fast. And it was for that time.

My best friend had a '71 Cutlass with a 455 in the nose. It was a tire frying beast. When we get together he talks about wanting to buy another '71 Cutlass in order to re-live his glory days. He asked me not too long ago, why I never bothered to buy another Nova.

I told him I much prefer the muscle cars of today. They are faster, more powerful, more reliable, more comfortable; have great brakes, great suspension, good sound systems, air conditioning and all the latest technology. Plus they look great (not counting the latest gen Camaro :facepalm:)

I want to own an old-school muscle car about as much as I want to watch movies on VHS, listen to music via cassette tape, or make calls by mounting a rotary-dial telephone on my wall.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
That man has more soul and brain power than you'll ever muster up

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
(Disclaimer: this post is just me sharing some opinions and random musings it doesn't really have a purpose...)

So a few days ago i test drove a 2019 GT PP1 and i must say that car is a dramatic improvement over my 2016 GT PP in almost every way...

Firstly the telescopic steering column. That made such an impact on me that I'm planning on retrofitting it to my car. The transmission is night and day better on that car than mine.

The extra power and noise was also amazing.

The only things I didn't like was the steering feel it was way too light, and the steering wheel materials, I also didnt like the dash, and the lack of hood turn signals.

The guy asked me if I wanted to trade my car for it and that he would give me an amazing deal and I still said no. All though the new cars are way better I prefer to fix the quirks on mine and keep it for some reason i love my 2016 more.

I told a friend who has a 2011 about it, he said the new cars have "no soul" and Ford's been "missing the Mark for years" he also hates my car when he drove it. But that "no soul" thing got me thinking.

What exactly do we call soul? And reality is its a bullshit argument... Soul is that immesurable feeling of nostalgia, and thrill that you feel when you drive a car. The entire time I was in the 2019 i kept remembering the road trips, track days, accidents, tire changes, date nights. All the adventures me and my car went through and I couldnt really focus on what the 2019 was trying to offer me.

But is that the cars fault? Or my own? It also didn't help that the sales guy was talking shit about my car... This car was my first new car, and I worked tons of overtime and saved for almost a year to put the deposit on it so it really ticked me off when he ragged on it...

Anyway, the quest to keep the "soul" of the car makes manufacturers make horrible design choices.

Think about what we are asking them to do. We want them to make the cars empirically worse or keep problems year to year so that we can buy a car that feels exactly like our current car with all the issues of our car and look exactly like ours but with more power... We want the cars to somehow handle better but not have smoother ride quality.

No one wants a lighter clutch even though the clutch has been horrible on these cars for years until the s550...

My first stang was a 2006 GT my uncles had a 67 and later a mach 1 and the truth is those cars were horrible... I do not miss my 2006 at all compared to my 2016. Personally im really happy to see how these cars are evolving, and i think using terms like "better" or "more soul" isnt a good way to describe them...

In reality mustangs are like suits you find the one that fits you the best...
Cars losing their souls coincide with all the nannies we demand.
Traction Control
Anti lock brakes
Automatic Transmissions
Auto Rev Matching
Independent rear suspension?
Much more can be added to the list.
A true grass roots racer would be slow and nobody would buy it.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
People who think the muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's will "outrun" the new batch of muscle cars are people who haven't driven a modern muscle car made since 2011.

I grew up in the mid/late 80's. Me and all my friends had those early muscle cars. ALL of us. I had a 1970 Nova with a hot little small-block in it. I thought that car was fast. And it was for that time.

My best friend had a '71 Cutlass with a 455 in the nose. It was a tire frying beast. When we get together he talks about wanting to buy another '71 Cutlass in order to re-live his glory days. He asked me not too long ago, why I never bothered to buy another Nova.

I told him I much prefer the muscle cars of today. They are faster, more powerful, more reliable, more comfortable; have great brakes, great suspension, good sound systems, air conditioning and all the latest technology. Plus they look great (not counting the latest gen Camaro :facepalm:)

I want to own an old-school muscle car about as much as I want to watch movies on VHS, listen to music via cassette tape, or make calls by mounting a rotary-dial telephone on my wall.
Great post

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

As someone who graduated high school in 1970 I grew up in the heart of the muscle car era. When I go to a car show I tend to gravitate to a BOSS 302, Hemi Cuda, or Chevelle SS427. There is just something about those cars. The were so raw, so visceral. And yes, they had soul. Yeah, my 19 GT/CS will blow these cars out of the water and I certainly wouldn’t trade it for any of these. That said I wouldn’t mind having any of them in my garage.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your buddy with the 2011 car not liking yours is silly bias.
Depends on whether you prefer the creature comforts of a euro copied Mustang or something more in line with the more primitive muscle car concept. To each his own. Silly? No. Biased? Everyone has his/her biases. Personally I wish I had waited and bought a 13/14 GT500 after selling my 14 GT on a quick offer. The 17 is nice, but its almost too nice and fancy for my liking. It's like driving a dumbed down Cadillac for no better reference. But then again to each his/her own. Nothing "silly" about it, just my personal bias.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The Flowmaster American Thunder axle back I added this summer injected a ton of personality and great low rpm tone. Car now sounds like it runs.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
A few years ago, a black guy told me I have soul. I'm not sure what that means, but I think its good.

:like:
Could be. Or perhaps you both are so far off base your observations and reactions are meaningless.

On the other hand, a car or person "with soul" will be obviously and unequivocally so endowed, and assert its/themselves in every dimension imaginable.

As in the case of my lost love 1966 Lotus Elan S2 roadster. When we were present, time and space warped to make a suitable place for us to do magic.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 911 has to have the most soul I ever had in a car... for both good and bad reasons.