Sponsored

How big of a deal is the hood oxidation/ paint issue on the mustang?

chevyman95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
1995 Miata
I have been looking for a 2015+ GT premium with performance pack under 35k miles 6 speed in dark gray for a few months. I finally found a 2015 at $26k with no negotiating. The only problem is the hood is definitely bubbling up the paint around the edges. I have a request in to Ford to see if they will cover it but the car may be gone before I hear back. Other than the hood it needs new front brakes and someone screwed through the bumper for a tag plate. It is a two owner already as well which is not ideal but manageable. I am probably going to pass because I hear it could cost $2200 for a hood but I'm wondering if I'm blowing this out of proportion.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Walk away and look for a used 2016+.

Reason:
Ford changed up the Paint and Corrosion Warranty in 2016. In short it states that 2016+ do not have to show or prove metal perforation of the aluminum body panels IF corrosion is starting.

If you own a 2015, the Warranty language remains the same that perforation of the metal MUST be present in order for Ford even to consider Warranty repair. Many members on here are having a hell of a time getting Ford to repaint or warranty repair their 2015 hoods even if still in the 3/36 or the 5/60 for paint/corrosion.

Sure it’s not a fair deal to 2015 Buyers or Owners since the S550 hoods from 2015 to current are all manufactured, prepped, painted and cleared in the same manner...

So take that into consideration when buying a used 2015 (or New if still in Dealer stock, such as the 50th LE’s).

Reference this thread for more info:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/

And

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/hood-bubbling-paint.119764/

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Walk away, like Cobra Jet said. This type of damage cannot be permanently repaired because it is due to how the metal was made before any paint was applied. You can't just sand and repaint. Ford replaced my hood (and had a body shop paint the new one, which came out like crap the first time). Not worth the headache unless you get a super deal and then just get an aftermarket hood.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
$26K for a '15 with 35K doesn't sound like that great of a deal to me, particularly with issues. I'd keep looking.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
It's not a big deal, Ford will fix it.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
I bought my 2019 GT base MT82 (exactly the way I wanted it) for 29k. Financed 20k at 1.9%. Brand new. I thought about getting some options here and there but I’m older and I don’t need adaptive cruise control, ambient lighting, lane assist, navigation, a hot stereo, etc. I can upgrade the wheels, tires and suspension for much less than I would have paid for a premium or performance pack. $29k for 460 HP, a manual gearbox and IRS is an incredible bang for the buck. For me it is about a connected driving experience and not technological gizmos. The MT82 is way, WAY better than the dozen or so people out there who speak negatively about it. It is VERY good and takes a beating whenever it is called upon to do so. Walk away from the two-owner car and start negotiating on a 2019.
Sponsored