Car&Driver: 2019 GT350 vs. 2020 Supra

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure what part of town you're in, but I see them fairly often up and down the 400 corridor from Roswell to Lake Lanier
I’m all over metro, but that’s where I see them, up 400 and in Helen.
Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Comparing the straight line numbers between the Supra and the GT350 with its MT is pretty much irrelevant. The 350's power delivery (rapid rise in power above 4000+ rpm) and gearing is made to perform on a race track where the huge RPM band can let you hang in one gear for a long time with a LOT of torque down low for an NA engine. Also, while the cars are pulling similar G's on a constant radius skidpad, the Magneride suspension is light years ahead of the Supras when it comes to transitions, cornering, braking, and body roll control. Same when the Camaro Z28 came out--straight line was not much better than an M3, but was a completely different story on a racetrack and giving GT3s a run for their money. Once the lap times come out, will be pretty clear which is the better drivers car. The GT PP2 is a much better comparator to the Supra.

m3bs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36M3 Tracktoy
Well, if lap times are the right measure, how does 1:35 at Road Atlanta sound? Only mods are brake pads and RE71R. Lots of potential to be unlocked still.

Apologies for the cheesy video.....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, if lap times are the right measure, how does 1:35 at Road Atlanta sound? Only mods are brake pads and RE71R. Lots of potential to be unlocked still.

Pretty major mods if you are trying to compare stock to stock.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Sorry but a GT350 is a different league from a Supra, the supra should be compared to a 10 Spd GT.

They managed to make the GT350 look worse mostly due to the way they used it.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I havent run that track what does a GT350 do on it?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I havent run that track what does a GT350 do on it?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
@honeybadger what are your RA times? You ran that track while the car was stock, right?

Edit: BlackBoss ran a 1:37 in a GT350R on Hoosiers at RA.

I have been personally benchmarking BMW Club RACING IP and CMod classes; at the tracks I've taken my R to I end up right in-between those classes for lap times. At RA last year, CM fastest was 1:34 and IP fastest was 1:37, so that seems about right. I'm sure a better driver than me could take my stock R to a 1:35 or faster. The Supra is definitely in the mix.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
@honeybadger what are your RA times? You ran that track while the car was stock, right?

I have been personally benchmarking BMW Club RACING IP and CMod classes; at the tracks I've taken my R to I end up right in-between those classes for lap times. At RA last year, CM fastest was 1:34 and IP fastest was 1:37, so that seems about right. I'm sure a better driver than me could take my stock R to a 1:35 or faster. The Supra is definitely in the mix.
So as fast as a GT350 basically I do not know how good a driver that guy is. That is interesting.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I was running 1:40 with a stock car and Cup2s my first time there. I ran 1:35 flat last time I was there being ultra careful in a couple of corners because TCM freaking out (turned out to be a loose magneride sensor). Current setup, a 1:31 would be pretty easy I think.

So as fast as a GT350 basically I do not know how good a driver that guy is. That is interesting.
Blackboss is an excellent driver. A 1:37 in a stock car is REALLY moving at RA. Important to keep in mind that Jackie holds a few track records in Street Mod and is a former Formula 3 driver (maybe it was F4?). He's also on the ragged edge - I haven't seen anyone drive a GT350 that hard at RA.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was running 1:40 with a stock car and Cup2s my first time there. I ran 1:35 flat last time I was there being ultra careful in a couple of corners because TCM freaking out (turned out to be a loose magneride sensor). Current setup, a 1:31 would be pretty easy I think.
That seems right. I would love to see the HB in person again now that you've uncorked it.

Blackboss is an excellent driver. A 1:37 in a stock car is REALLY moving at RA.
Yep. For reference, Blackboss has me by ~1.5s/lap at both Grattan and Mid-Ohio. I do hold back in a street car with no cage/ harnesses (and an expensive one to ball up).

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
This is the last of the golden age of gasoline cars. How awesome is it that all the manufacturers are taking it to the limit. Ten years from now you'll be able to buy faster cars but likely electric. Maybe even an electric GT350, Ford is already working on electric cars based on the Mustang platform.

Enjoy your GT350 for what it is, not the fastest or best handling but most balanced, best looking, fun to drive kick in the pants you can buy for the money.

Edit - Left out best sounding

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Pretty major mods if you are trying to compare stock to stock.
Exactly. On the tracks tested so far by pros in stock format (there are about 8 of them), the Supra is a couple seconds behind the M2 and M4.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I hear you, but comparing magazine times is tough. Tests with different drivers 5 years apart etc. Also if if you look at magazine tests, specifically C&D, the M2 demolished the E92s Lightning Lap time as did the old Gt500.

I love the E92s. My buddy had one at the same time I had my 2012 GT500. We did several roll runs from 50 - 60 to about 130, and I would pull him hard. GT350 puts up similar to marginally better numbers than the old 500.
Actually the last test for LIghtning lap for the E92 M3 was 2009, 10 years ago. None of the E92 M3s were ZCP cars with the better suspension. A guy on M3post ran under a 3:00 with a ZCP car and upgraded rubber (275/295 MIch PSS on OEM ZCP wheels) at VIR. The track has been repaved and is close to 4 seconds faster than it was from what I was told. Also the DCT car they had, was experiencing issues with the DCT downshifting as it was on early software and won't even get into tire technology vs. whats being run today (3 generations ago PS2s vs. Mich Pilot 4S). The M2 ran just over 3 seconds faster, once again over 7 years from when the last E92 M3 was ran. The GT500 for all its hp was only 1 second faster (2011-550hp) and 5 sec (2013-662hp).

I am sure you have seen this video...M2 vs. GT350..

M2 is such an over achiever..
Sponsored