Sponsored

Has anyone shipped their Mustang abroad?

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hey everyone!

I am going to be stationed in Germany at the beginning of next year and want to ship my Mustang! The government will pay for one vehicle (my wife's). I can't imagine selling my Mustang and not letting the Whipple have the opportunity to scream down the autobahn - so I'll pay out of pocket.

Has anyone used a good international car shipping company? Or even if you've had a bad experience, I'd love to hear about it so I can avoid them.

Thanks!
Sponsored

CeramicHammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I shipped my mustang to and from Vogelweh-Canto / Rammstein area during my stint there in 2012 - 2015. Back when I had my 2013 GT. Pretty pleasant experience with a company in that area. There is one major port in northern Germany that your car will arrive at. Also if you have a loud exhaust (Borla S or similar/louder) you likely will fail inspection on base. As it’s conducted by German/German standards. I failed 5 times before just going back to stock after taking off my Boss side pipes /FRPP axle back. It failed even with the axle back. Anyways I’ll pm you the company info once I dig it out of my records.

Deleted member 35786

With all the hassle of inspections/gas prices, car insurance, parts if you breakdown etc.. Honestly you might want to consider storing here in the USA while your gone and pickup a used German car on the lemon lot for cheap when you arrive.
Winters are cold, lots of black ice and they salt the shit out of the roads. And the back roads there are so curvy and hilly you best be on your toes. My VW was constantly white and nasty all the time from the salt when I was stationed there from 1998-2005. The previous poster had a more recent experience so hopefully he can give you more current information.
Just my 2c.. Good luck in your decision.

FYI the Polizei dont play and there are hidden cameras everywhere that get you for speeding. And the tickets are not cheap.

Ohh and did we mention the Stau's... (Traffic Jams).. Uhhhhggg

Last edited by a moderator:

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Hey everyone!

I am going to be stationed in Germany at the beginning of next year and want to ship my Mustang! The government will pay for one vehicle (my wife's). I can't imagine selling my Mustang and not letting the Whipple have the opportunity to scream down the autobahn - so I'll pay out of pocket.

Has anyone used a good international car shipping company? Or even if you've had a bad experience, I'd love to hear about it so I can avoid them.

Thanks!
I can’t comment on shipping a car, but you’ll enjoy the autobahn with your car as long as there isn’t a traffic jam. Late nights and early mornings there is plenty of room to enjoy the power on unrestricted sections of the autobahn.

Congrats on the assignment. It is fun over here.

JayGT3067

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 BMW 640 Grand Coupé x Drive
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Ship your car! It’s not only the German driving experience...but you also get to experience driving in the rest of Europe. You’re going to love it! You will regret not shipping your car. Except for a 3 year stint in California (2014-2017) I’ve lived here in Germany since 1986...and just bought my first American vehicle...a year ago...2017 Mustang GT. Yes, you will not be driving your car in the icy or snowy conditions...but the fun you have screaming down the autobahn far outweighs not driving it during heavy winter conditions. I have a 2015 BMW 640i Grand Coupé XDrive for winter. And yes, there are cameras “strategically placed” but I can’t see not shipping my car...because of it. I was more stressed about being stopped for speeding in the US ...than getting flashed here...mad that “they got me again” but at least I’m able to continue my trip and just wait for the ticket in the mail. There is also a cool following among old and newer model German mustang drivers... we tend to wave or exchange a thumbs up... while passing each other. As far as shipping, you can also check with the Vehicle Processing Center where you will turn your wife’s car into. They’re a government contractor called International Auto Logistics. They may be able to advise you of a local reputable firm. Depending on your budget, you may be able to arrange door to door service. And if your budget doesn’t approve, a nice train trip to the port of Bremerhaven, Germany ...and enjoy a scenic return drive back. Another option is to do a search on google for the “Find it Guide” Kaiserslautern. You’ll see advertisements from shipping companies here that are marketing their outbound shipping services. They all speak English and the few dollars you spend on an international call could be worth it. I imagine they will also be able to link you up with one of their stateside partners. Lastly, during your transition, for any questions you have...be weary of advice from well meaning folks that were stationed here “years ago”. Locate someone that is here now...today. This ain’t America...and I definitely miss some of the comfort and convenience of being home...but having a chance to enjoy all Europe has to offer ...especially this summer and driving my Mustang to parts of Germany, Holland, and France...has been great! Oh, and any mods that are bulky in size...you may want to purchase now and add them to your outbound HHGs shipment! I purchased most of my mods from AM...but there were a few items that AM would not mail to a military post office box.

Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
First of all...thanks for your service!

I shipped my brand new (at the time) 1991 Mustang LX (with the 5.0) to Italy when I was stationed there from 1991 - 1994. Drove it all over Europe (Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, etc.). Had the time of my life with it. Ended up selling it to a Carabinieri friend of mine for his son. He still has the car and sends me regular pics of shows he has been in with it.

Whether or not you do ship it over, you will have to experience the multiple superb drives over there (Bundesautobahn, Amalfi Coast, Autostrade, the Alps, etc.).

Check with your sponsor and transportation office about shipping a second vehicle. Sometimes, in addition to the cost of shipping, you may have to pay an import duty fee. Not trying to discourage you, but it's best to know this up front.

Hope it works out for you!

OP
OP
Meat coyote racing

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ship your car! It’s not only the German driving experience...but you also get to experience driving in the rest of Europe. You’re going to love it! You will regret not shipping your car. Except for a 3 year stint in California (2014-2017) I’ve lived here in Germany since 1986...and just bought my first American vehicle...a year ago...2017 Mustang GT. Yes, you will not be driving your car in the icy or snowy conditions...but the fun you have screaming down the autobahn far outweighs not driving it during heavy winter conditions. I have a 2015 BMW 640i Grand Coupé XDrive for winter. And yes, there are cameras “strategically placed” but I can’t see not shipping my car...because of it. I was more stressed about being stopped for speeding in the US ...than getting flashed here...mad that “they got me again” but at least I’m able to continue my trip and just wait for the ticket in the mail. There is also a cool following among old and newer model German mustang drivers... we tend to wave or exchange a thumbs up... while passing each other. As far as shipping, you can also check with the Vehicle Processing Center where you will turn your wife’s car into. They’re a government contractor called International Auto Logistics. They may be able to advise you of a local reputable firm. Depending on your budget, you may be able to arrange door to door service. And if your budget doesn’t approve, a nice train trip to the port of Bremerhaven, Germany ...and enjoy a scenic return drive back. Another option is to do a search on google for the “Find it Guide” Kaiserslautern. You’ll see advertisements from shipping companies here that are marketing their outbound shipping services. They all speak English and the few dollars you spend on an international call could be worth it. I imagine they will also be able to link you up with one of their stateside partners. Lastly, during your transition, for any questions you have...be weary of advice from well meaning folks that were stationed here “years ago”. Locate someone that is here now...today. This ain’t America...and I definitely miss some of the comfort and convenience of being home...but having a chance to enjoy all Europe has to offer ...especially this summer and driving my Mustang to parts of Germany, Holland, and France...has been great! Oh, and any mods that are bulky in size...you may want to purchase now and add them to your outbound HHGs shipment! I purchased most of my mods from AM...but there were a few items that AM would not mail to a military post office box.
Thanks for all of the info. Without a doubt, I'm going to be shipping the car. I might just use the same company I ship my wife's car with for simplicity sake. I was looking at the reviews for International Auto Logistics and they weren't good. However, the number of negative reviews versus how many vechiles they actually ship might not be bad.

My father-in-law is German (they are visiting). He heard the Mustang today and said he is positive it won't pass the tĂĽv inspection because the exhaust is too loud. I have catted longtubes, an x pipe with roush axles and its outrageous. I think I might have to put the stock resonator on before we move :(

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
For sure, things have changed since I was in Germany where I had 89 SHO. Took several hours to pass German Inspection standards as the engine was there interest focus. It also was a huge PIA when we alerted and getting through security checking for explosives. Lots of places to hide something in that Shogun-Yamaha Motor.

The Autobahn driving experience IMO is worth the hassle of putting car back to stock. We did have camera's but no traffic jams. Just pure high speed driving experience. Only place the Autobahn's were regulated with camera's was where two crossed and speeds there were dropped to 120Kph or approximately 75MPH.

You haven't lived until you've experienced a run covering 200 miles with a stop for fuel in less then two hours!

Good Luck

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
i shipped mine to japan. It was hell. lolGL

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Out of interest do you have to register it in Germany and go through tuv ? Could you keep it on US plates and take it out of Germany for a bit every few months?
I used to see plenty of US owned cars around the U.K. USAF bases still on US plates.
What car does your wife have? It may be more effective to ship the mustang and buy another car in Germany if she has a more generic family wagon / sedan.

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Out of interest do you have to register it in Germany and go through tuv ? Could you keep it on US plates and take it out of Germany for a bit every few months?
I used to see plenty of US owned cars around the U.K. USAF bases still on US plates.
What car does your wife have? It may be more effective to ship the mustang and buy another car in Germany if she has a more generic family wagon / sedan.
Not sure how this works anymore as my information is dated. I would check with Military Customs or Military JAG on what is current requirements or with who to follow-up with. In my day, Status of forces agreements with host nation allowed for US personnel in support of NATO to register cars under DOD licenses. The cars received annual safety inspections to host nation safety standards. We also had to take and successfully complete a very difficult license process test that shames what exists here in the US.

That said, driving was a blast over there, but not a joke. Things happen rapidly at high speed and there is no margin for error. You must know how to look ahead and really see the traffic in front of you as well as behind you. You need to know how you car drives at high speed, handles and emergency brakes. 80 on the Autobahns gets you run over. 100 is cruising with the pack. 120+ and your one of the slower cars running the HS left lane. Accidents are catastrophic and generally have fatalities. I once saw a car wedged into a V in a large tree 100 feet adjacent to the Bahn 25 feet off the ground. It was a mangle wrecked.

Deleted member 35786

My father-in-law is German (they are visiting). He heard the Mustang today and said he is positive it won't pass the tĂĽv inspection because the exhaust is too loud. I have catted longtubes, an x pipe with roush axles and its outrageous. I think I might have to put the stock resonator on before we move :(
You will need more than just that resonator installed. The German TUV is no joke. Better plan on returning that exhaust system back to factory, they have strict rules on decibel/sound levels.

Interesting article from 2017 just for you, rules might have changed a bit since.
https://jalopnik.com/the-german-police-wants-american-soldiers-to-muffle-the-1795143218

https://europe.stripes.com/pcs/know-you-go-vehicle-inspection-registration-germany

Go to page 112 for exhaust noise testing.
https://www.ramstein.af.mil/Portals...1 23 March 2017.pdf?ver=2017-08-10-100357-803

Last edited by a moderator:

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
It gets registered in a US system and will be on German plates. The specifics of how our system interacts with the Germans I don’t know. It will have to go through an inspection like TÜV but not nearly as strict. Exhaust will fail you if it’s too loud. The inspections are done on base by locals and it seems to be hit or miss what they choose to enforce based on reports I’ve seen from others. I’ve also heard actually going to a TÜV inspection station as an American with an American car will almost always generate a pass as long as it’s a newer car, even if it’s modded. TÜV inspections are authorized for on base registration.

Germans can’t modify like we do. Everything has to be TÜV certified for a specific application.

JayGT3067

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 BMW 640 Grand Coupé x Drive
Thanks for all of the info. Without a doubt, I'm going to be shipping the car. I might just use the same company I ship my wife's car with for simplicity sake. I was looking at the reviews for International Auto Logistics and they weren't good. However, the number of negative reviews versus how many vechiles they actually ship might not be bad.

Your father-in-law is most likely correct! To be sure, conduct a search engine...search for “Army in Europe Regulation 190-1” and review it. Also, calling a vehicle registration office ( its staffed by US employees) and detailing the modification specifics of your vehicle, gets you the answer directly from the horse’s mouth. The Find-it-Guide I mentioned includes telephone #s for the vehicle registration offices.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...A BROAD?!?!??????
I don't want mine to have any love interest but me..............:inlove:
Sponsored