Mod the GT or just get a GT350?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
2015-2017 MT82 is pretty darn durable. Steel forks and a lot of little improvements from the 2011-14 ones. 72k here and still shifts perfectly with the MGW shifter. The trans isn't the root cause of issues people have the vast majority of the time, it's shifter and clutch. Stock clutch still just fine too at 420-440 whp and 7500+ rpm shifts depending on the fuel I'm running.
MT82 in the '11-'14 cars is just as good. Car has 74k miles and still shifts well with the occasional high-speed lockout. MT82 is a pretty forgiving transmission. It has to be with the notchiness it brings along with it.

My vote is mod the GT unless you are after the FPC part of the 350 or the resale value.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Iā€™d say unless you spend a lot of time at the road courses, keep the GT and mod away.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t get caught up in the Shelby hype. Yes, they hold their value better but they should since they cost more to begin with. If you look at S197 GT500 values (what they actually sell for, not what a seller is asking), they generally command roughly the premium they had over a same-year GT when new considering similar mileage and condition. I bought into the Shelby hype when I had my ā€™07 GT500 and honestly my ā€™15 is a far superior car.

Iā€™m somewhat in the same boat as the OP. My ā€™15 has been paid off since last May and only has a tick over 8,000 miles on it as of this writing; Iā€™ve gone as far as I care to as far as the less invasive mods and am pondering whatā€™s next. Iā€™ve kicked around a new GT350 for quite a while, but since Iā€™m not a track rat much of what makes the car special would be lost on me; Iā€™ve also driven one and found it lacking compared to a GT for general driveability due to the whole low-end torque thing (they need stouter axle gearing, IMO). Long-term engine integrity has me paranoid about the GT350 too. Iā€™ve also pondered going the new GT500 route, but I wonā€™t pay an ADM and a base car at MSRP would be on the ragged edge of what my tight ass will spend on a toy that sits in the garage most of the time. Theyā€™re going to be awesome, but I was really hoping for them to be twin-turbo this time around for something different, and that alone probably would have been enough to make me pop for one.

At the moment Iā€™m back to looking at turboing what I have since the cost to do so is virtually nothing compared to the alternatives above since I already own the car, and Iā€™ve always wanted a turbo'd V8. Some unctuous pricks call it being a ā€œpoorā€, I call it being frugal and still having a ball (besides, Iā€™d rather buy more property than turn over expensive late-model vehicles). Also, Iā€™ve had more fun modding my S550 than I had with the ā€˜special editionā€™ Mustangs Iā€™ve had since I was reluctant to change those much, so thereā€™s that as well. And I loooove sleepers.

Then again, what do I know - those new Corvettes are looking pretty sweetā€¦.but thatā€™s another topic altogether.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Stick with the GT.... Can always take the mods off and get a GT350 if you feel a mod'ed GT still aint enough. lol

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
From both an economic and cool factor the Shelby. Mustang GT's are a dime a dozen. Shelbys are not. IMHO

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, but there is like 5-6 of them just in Prairieville. lol
True that. But still much less common than our GT's. I really enjoy my GT but my next move will be a Shelby. Damn it every time I see one on the road I give it a hard look.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
True that. But still much less common than our GT's. I really enjoy my GT but my next move will be a Shelby. Damn it every time I see one on the road I give it a hard look.
haha. I do too and even roll the windows to hear the exhaust.

There's a Lighting Blue one that I love around here.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
haha. I do too and even roll the windows to hear the exhaust.

There's a Lighting Blue one that I love around here.
He's in our club. BRAM Baton Rouge Area Mustangers

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I struggled over the same question OP. The gt 350 is by far the best looking mustang ever! I figured my car already took the hit in value so I just through a $5k sc on it to satisfy my itch. I have to say it was worth every penny!
Sponsored