Sponsored

Splitter protection

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
I figure the GT500 front splitter will be about the same as the GT350 one.

Well the GT350 splitter height is extremely low at 4 inches from the asphalt - 33% lower than a corvette I measured! My assumption is with daily use the splitter WILL be scraping, perhaps frequently.

As a newbie to the mustang community, are there lessons learned from the GT350 on this issue? My primary concerns are:

- structural or engine damage (as opposed to cosmetic)

- does splitter protection (washers/studs, scrape armor, etc) work? Or is it counterproductive since it actually lowers the contact point even more?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom!
Sponsored

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500

Well the GT350 splitter height is extremely low at 4 inches from the asphalt - 33% lower than a corvette I measured! My assumption is with daily use the splitter WILL be scraping, perhaps frequently.

As a newbie to the mustang community, are there lessons learned from the GT350 on this issue? My primary concerns are:

- does splitter protection (washers/studs, scrape armor, etc) work? Or is it counterproductive since it actually lowers the contact point even more?

I agree and watch those damn Speed Bumps. Hate those things!!!!!

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

I have a 19 gt350 and they updated all the splitters to include small tabs that poke out a little on the bottom so all the scraping will go to those tabs unless you just pile drive something.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
so all the scraping will go to those tabs unless you just pile drive something.
One would THINK that Ford would do the same on this car, no? I sure hope so.

For the OP...learn the steepest angle you can enter or exit an establishment (SLOWLY) and remember it. Also, don't approach at an angle, do it head on. Even so, I've filed my '14's plastic at the corners and, along the bottom many times. I have no idea what they cost to replace but I'm pretty sure they aren't cheap.

I also wonder...IF they incorporate that feature into this car, how long those tabs will hold out? Are they made of the same plastic?

TIA

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
One would THINK that Ford would do the same on this car, no? I sure hope so.

For the OP...learn the steepest angle you can enter or exit an establishment (SLOWLY) and remember it. Also, don't approach at an angle, do it head on. Even so, I've filed my '14's plastic at the corners and, along the bottom many times. I have no idea what they cost to replace but I'm pretty sure they aren't cheap.

I also wonder...IF they incorporate that feature into this car, how long those tabs will hold out? Are they made of the same plastic?

TIA
To bad Ford didn't offer the front lift feature that Chevrolet offers on the 2020 C8 Corvette.

"Front Lift
Let nothing stand in your way. This available system raises the front of your Corvette almost 2 inches in less than three seconds* at low speeds so you can clear low obstacles like speed bumps or steep driveways. And since it remembers up to 1,000 GPS locations, it works seamlessly within your world."

*At vehicle speeds up to 24 mph

Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Do we know the clearance from the lowest point in front to the ground?
Im praying i can get up my driveway, it has a 40 degree incline.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
My street has three separate traffic calming devices called Speed "Humps" which are 12" wide x 3" high. Wife's Mercedes has 6" clearance.

Praying that the Shelby has at least 4" ground clearance. :please:

speed-hump.jpg

Last edited:

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
If it’s anything like the splitter on the 350R better buy a spare ASAP. Mine will scrape on a dip in the road
Sponsored