Sponsored

Best way to fix this scratch/gouge?

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I got in a hurry moving something in the garage. A section of my new exhaust fell and scratched my fender :(. After a few loud outbursts that I'm sure scared my neighbors I used some touch up paint I have to fill in the scratches. I haven't sanded it down yet. Watched a few vids and they used 3000 grit to level the touch up paint. The compound then polish it. I really don't want to take it to a body shop if I don't have to.
ouch.jpg
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
First I'd start over. Remove the mess of touch up paint you made and try to be more neat slowly building up the paint in the gouged areas slightly higher than the surrounding paint. You want to remove any loose chips first as well and clean out the scratch with iso very good.

Then you can lightly wetsand the high spots down and proceed with a heavy polish / cut of that area.

Seeing the mess you've already made I'm not trying to be mean here but I'd seek out a professional repair on that one. If you don't want to go that route Dr. Colorchip is going to be your safest bet with the best results doing it yourself.

Have you ever wet sanded before? Have your ever compounded / polished a car using a rotary buffer or DA? If no I wouldn't attempt to "learn" with this issue.

If you really want to learn go pick up a shitty looking black hood from an auto wrecker and practice on that. It'll take some practice before you get proficient in either skill.

OP
OP
coreystang

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First I'd start over. Remove the mess of touch up paint you made and try to be more neat slowly building up the paint in the gouged areas slightly higher than the surrounding paint. You want to remove any loose chips first as well and clean out the scratch with iso very good.

Then you can lightly wetsand the high spots down and proceed with a heavy polish / cut of that area.

Seeing the mess you've already made I'm not trying to be mean here but I'd seek out a professional repair on that one. If you don't want to go that route Dr. Colorchip is going to be your safest bet with the best results doing it yourself.

Have you ever wet sanded before? Have your ever compounded / polished a car using a rotary buffer or DA? If no I wouldn't attempt to "learn" with this issue.

If you really want to learn go pick up a shitty looking black hood from an auto wrecker and practice on that. It'll take some practice before you get proficient in either skill.
I'm slowly removing the touchup paint. Wet sanding with 3000 grit. It's looking better. Not sure how much more I can do.
I don't own a DA. Been doing the compound and polish by hand. I think I'm going to get a few estimates. Ugh! Lesson learned for sure.
ouch2.jpg

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
There are remote touch up setups that will blend that and make it look way better than anything you can do with a touch up kit...unless you are a body/paint man yourself. I had a 13 GHIG GT that is a 3 stage paint process and had some similar damage like that and a guy made it look like it was never there. The good thing is that it is not BLACK and it is NOT a direct sunlight place. I've had a black car that was hit in the side and the repaint never did match correctly.

OP
OP
coreystang

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There are remote touch up setups that will blend that and make it look way better than anything you can do with a touch up kit...unless you are a body/paint man yourself. I had a 13 GHIG GT that is a 3 stage paint process and had some similar damage like that and a guy made it look like it was never there. The good thing is that it is not BLACK and it is NOT a direct sunlight place. I've had a black car that was hit in the side and the repaint never did match correctly.
That's what I'm hoping for. Good thing it's pretty low on the fender.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'm slowly removing the touchup paint. Wet sanding with 3000 grit. It's looking better. Not sure how much more I can do.
I don't own a DA. Been doing the compound and polish by hand. I think I'm going to get a few estimates. Ugh! Lesson learned for sure.
ouch2.jpg
You've hazed the clear coat. You need to polish that back to a shine. My recommendation is go get some professional help.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Hopefully you didn't go through the clear. The clear on these cars is really really thin.
Sponsored