Sponsored

Building a 5.0, looking for resources

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have never built a motor before. I'd like to build a spare one for the future but I am looking for reference material to learn what I need to order, what I need to be careful with, etc. If anyone has any useful reading on building a coyote I would much appreciate it. On the other hand, is it generally cheaper to buy a built crate motor versus building it yourself?
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have never built a motor before...
That statement more-than-likely rules you out of the Coyote re-building game.

I am not trying to suggest you are not intelligent enough to accomplish this task, because I straight up don't know you..., BUT

The Coyote is an expensive V8 to build/re-build and if you have NEVER re-built an engine before, the Coyote is in the seriously deep end of the pool. Do you know how to set up and read precision measuring instruments? Do you have all the specific tools to rebuild the heads and degree the cams? Do you have all the torque sequences memorized, chapter & verse?

The only way I would attempt to re-build a Coyote engine is if I had a very, very experienced Coyote engine builder looking over my shoulder every step of the way. Because if I didn't, I would probably screw up some minor detail that would lead to catastrophic engine failure that would end up costing me thousands and thousands of dollars; not to mention the time.

If it were an LS engine, I'd say go-for-it as they are plentiful (truck block) and cheap to buy and rebuild.

The Coyote..., not so much.

If you want a spare, your best bet is to buy a used long block from a '15-'17 F-150, and have someone swap out the cams to Mustang cams as they are the only difference between the two engines.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I have never built a motor before. I'd like to build a spare one for the future but I am looking for reference material to learn what I need to order, what I need to be careful with, etc. If anyone has any useful reading on building a coyote I would much appreciate it. On the other hand, is it generally cheaper to buy a built crate motor versus building it yourself?
You’ll need the Ford service manuals to get most of the hard data you need. Things to “be careful with” comes from experience.

As far as if it’s cheaper to build or buy, it depends on what your time is worth to you. Building an engine requires measuring a bunch things over and over to make sure they are right. You’ll need to get the tools to make those measurements and know what the readings you are getting mean. Considering the time learning and the money spent on tools, you’d probably be better off buying a short block from one of the reputable builders.

I’m not saying you can’t do it. Everyone starts somewhere, but having an experienced helping hand is important when learning how to put an engine together correctly.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Fair enough. I was looking for a project and a learning experience but maybe I can find it elsewhere. The f150 route may be the way to go then.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I know a guy at Cantu Racing building LS and Coyote engines. Also check MMR who build billet parts for our Coyote's. Beautiful and fast billet parts 1000 hp & up parts.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'll give it to ya, you've got some steel cahunas for wanting to start your first ever engine build on a Coyote. If you have the extra income in case you mess up and can get someone experienced in rebuilds by your side for guidance and questions, I'd say go for it!

A lot of people learn to build engines from an old 350 in a Chevy or a 4.0 I6 in a Jeep. Those are much more simple motors to start with.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'll give it to ya, you've got some steel cahunas for wanting to start your first ever engine build on a Coyote. If you have the extra income in case you mess up and can get someone experienced in rebuilds by your side for guidance and questions, I'd say go for it!

A lot of people learn to build engines from an old 350 in a Chevy or a 4.0 I6 in a Jeep. Those are much more simple motors to start with.
My father in law rebuilds cars for fun and he has a lot of experience, mostly with older Chevy motors though. He has a shop and actually has several older carburetor motors like the 350 you mentioned that he said I could tinker with, but i didn't know how much of that knowledge would be applicable to these newer motors.
Sponsored

Last edited: