What is this on my deck lid panel?

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Got my 19 I'm may and have been putting Wolfgang car sealant on that panel every month,do the whole car every 3 months use the sponge yellow applicator pad,make it moist .no scratches so far.as to buffing,if you've never used one before,if you apply too much pressure you can burn thru the plastic surface,so be careful.ive done that on cars more than once,so I manually polish the plastic now.im fact just did that on small led solar panel for pathway lights and worked great using meguiars

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
That looks absolutely fantastic with the blue.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the ingot silver panel is also a very close match to the silver vinyl stripes.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Got my 19 I'm may and have been putting Wolfgang car sealant on that panel every month,do the whole car every 3 months .no scratches so far.as to buffing,if you've never used one before,if you apply too much pressure you can burn thru the plastic surface,so be careful.ive done that on cars more than once,so I manually polish the plastic now.im fact just did that on small led solar panel for pathway lights and worked great using meguiars
My ā€˜19 had scratches from the dealership. The black roof also had a lot of bird dropping damage.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My ā€˜19 had scratches from the dealership. The black roof also had a lot of bird dropping damage.
That's why I told them not to wash the car.ive had scratches during dealer washes before so I always tell them don't wash the car

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's why I told them not to wash the car.ive had scratches during dealer washes before so I always tell them don't wash the car
I pretty much only special order and always tell them to not touch the outside of the car. I let them detail the interior because that's just a bunch of parts that can be replaced if they harm them. If you don't let them touch the exterior (eg wash) you have to be a lot more diligent finding paint damage beneath any dirt that accumulated before arriving but worth the extra time.

Sponsored

Beezpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
0C7FDF88-BE55-4EC8-BE60-A198E973DC4F.jpeg
Well, goof off was a mistake. Iā€™m thinking I probably need a whole new panel now.
I have found that the panel is VERY fragile. Just rubbing it lightly will scuff it. I have replaced mine once, but the new one already is damaged. Annoying that a new car (purchased 6/19) has this issue. At some point i will bring it to a body shop and get a proper coat of paint on it, so it will last. I also like the wrap idea, i might look into that when i am ready to address it.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Question for those with aftermarket panels. Are they any more durable than the OEM pieces?

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I ordered the Meguiars PlastX. Will try that by hand first. If it doesnā€™t work Iā€™ll have to decide if I wanna buy a polisher or just buy a new panel. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes

By the way, just wondering if youā€™re reading you own post. The answers to ā€œwhat pads to useā€ are shown in post 33. Cobra jet knows what he is doing so why not follow his recommendations?
I ordered the Meguiars PlastX. Will try that by hand first. If it doesnā€™t work Iā€™ll have to decide if I wanna buy a polisher or just buy a new panel. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Thx @Bikeman315 - for the promotion of the DIY thread I had posted for all in the other sub-forum.

@Rash
The technique I had laid out in steps (and what any Ford Service Center would do per the TSB I attached in that other thread) will certainly fix your decklid panel no doubt. Thereā€™s no need to blow off $100+ on another decklid panel from eBay. Just forewarning you and others about the used S550 decklid panels on eBay - many sellers are taking pics of those panels with bright lights reflecting off of them which is masking any surface blems. You could end up spending $100+ on another and it arrives in half decent shape where youā€™ll still have to polish it (and hope the blems polish out).

Goofoff is a good product for removing sticky substances, not water stains or dried on product on plastics. Thatā€™s why the product really hazed up your panel.

If you have any wax or polish handy, you can try a very clean microfiber with some product on it and hand apply it to the panel. You want to apply going side to side, donā€™t go in circles because that will create swirls. Remove in same manner, side to side. See how it looks and repeat if necessary.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
I avoid even looking at the one from my car because by doing so it will scratch itself.
Have never seen that thing happenned before, OP. WTH is that?
Sponsored