Sponsored

winter storage

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys, first time mustang 5.0 owner and first time storing a car over the entire winter. Ill be storing my 2018 10 speed PP1 in unheated indoor storage. What are somethings I need to do? Oil change before or after? Fuel stabilizer? How full should I leave the tank? Battery in or out? Trickle charger may not be an option depending on the location I am able to get.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I use 94 octane and usually just run my tank down to almost empty before I store it. I use a trickle charger. If you can’t use a charger I would take the battery out and put it somewhere that the temperature will be above zero. Put it on a block of wood or something, don’t set it on concrete. Definitely change the oil after the winter. You could also put the car on jack stands if you’re worried about squaring of the tires. I’ve never had that problem though.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I do everything BMA said, also, i >fill< my car up, and ad some sort of fuel stabilizer, i just leave my battery in car, however, i do have a trickle charger on it for several months, also i do NOT start it, unless i'm gonna drive it. Also through some cotton sheets on it, also doors, and trunk are not fully latched. I realize your in Canada, when do you folks put away the good cars? Down here, ( in Minn, ) i can drive till the D.O.T. starts throwing salt, and de-ice chemicals. Usually some time in November...

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'min Cleveland and I put mine away on Oct 31, growing up around here I've seen at least an inch of snow in early Nov. several times so i play it safe and put it away on Halloween. I agree with the full tank, if your garage is not heated then it will prevent condensation. I change the oil just before I put it away and again when I pull it out in the spring, condensation can become acidic and break down the oil so that is why I change it again after I pull it out and I don't want it to sit for six months with contaminated oil so I change before I put it away also. I also use a trickle charger and I have the pigtail hooked up to the battery so when I'm ready I just plug it in. And I have a fitted car cover and wash it before storage, you don't what dirt to get embedded in the cover and when you take it off you drag the dirt across your paint. And finally I put a bowl full of moth balls on the passenger floor and another in the trunk. I don't know for sure if it works but for two years there have been no critters in my car that I know of.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Store mine every winter in an unheated garage.
-change oil prior to storage.
-add fuel stabilizer to gas tank then top up tank to full.
-place carpet squares under tires to prevent flat spots.
-wash and wax car then place a cover over top.

Don’t remove cover till next spring!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
All good stuff. But... what if your car still has the factory oil and the monitor says 80% oil life left? I'm at 1780 miles on the odometer. Change in the spring or before storage? I don't think I'll rack up much more mileage before I have to put it away.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All good stuff. But... what if your car still has the factory oil and the monitor says 80% oil life left? I'm at 1780 miles on the odometer. Change in the spring or before storage? I don't think I'll rack up much more mileage before I have to put it away.
Ignore that stupid thing and track your own mileage.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There is this little book in your gloves compartment when you press the yellow button it's called Owners Manual in it this is what you will find:

1. VEHICLE STORAGE

If you plan on storing your vehicle for 30 days or more, read the following maintenance recommendations to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition.

We engineer and test all motor vehicles and their components for reliable, regular driving. Under various conditions, long-term storage may lead to degraded engine performance or failure unless you use specific precautions to preserve engine components.

General
    • Store all vehicles in a dry, ventilated place.

• Protect from sunlight, if possible.

• If vehicles are stored outside, they require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.

Body
    • Wash your vehicle thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and the underside of front fenders.

• Periodically wash your vehicle if it is stored in exposed locations.

• Touch-up exposed or primed metal to prevent rust.

• Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when you wash your vehicle.

• Lubricate all hood, door and luggage compartment hinges and latches with a light grade oil.

• Cover interior trim to prevent fading.

• Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.

Engine
    • Change the engine oil and filter prior to storage because used engine oil contains contaminates which may cause engine damage.

• Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
    • With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.

• We recommend that you change the engine oil before you use your vehicle again.

Fuel system
    • Fill the fuel tank with high-quality fuel until the first automatic shutoff of the fuel pump nozzle.

Cooling system
    • Protect against freezing temperatures.

• When removing your vehicle from storage, check coolant fluid level. Confirm that there are no cooling system leaks and that fluid is at the recommended level.

Battery
    • Check and recharge as necessary. Keep connections clean.

• If storing your vehicle for more than 30 days without recharging the battery, we recommend that you disconnect the battery cables to maintain battery charge for quick starting.

Note: It is necessary to reset memory features if battery cables are disconnected.

Brakes
    • Make sure the brakes and parking brake release fully.

Tires

• Maintain recommended air pressure.
    Miscellaneous
    • Make sure all linkages, cables, levers and pins under your vehicle are covered with grease to prevent rust.

• Move vehicles at least 25 ft (7.5 m) every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion.

Removing Vehicle From Storage

When your vehicle is ready to come out of storage, do the following:
      • Wash your vehicle to remove any dirt or grease film build-up on window surfaces.

• Check windshield wipers for any deterioration.

• Check under the hood for any foreign material that may have collected during storage such as mice or squirrel nests.

• Check the exhaust for any foreign material that may have collected during storage.

• Check tire pressures and set tire inflation per the Tire Label.

• Check brake pedal operation. Drive your vehicle 15 ft (4.5 m) back and forth to remove rust build-up.

• Check fluid levels (including coolant, oil and gas) to make sure there are no leaks, and fluids are at recommended levels.

• If you remove the battery, clean the battery cable ends and check for damage.

Contact an authorized dealer if you have any concerns or issues.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I drive it through winter and store it outside overnight.
Me too! Mine has seen rain, hail, snow, sun, and everything in between. Even with hood vents... never misses a beat. She is still purty with a few rock chips these days...

5.0 lee2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401A-A10, 2017 Explorer Sport, 2016 Powerstroke Screw
Hi guys, first time mustang 5.0 owner and first time storing a car over the entire winter. Ill be storing my 2018 10 speed PP1 in unheated indoor storage. What are somethings I need to do? Oil change before or after? Fuel stabilizer? How full should I leave the tank? Battery in or out? Trickle charger may not be an option depending on the location I am able to get.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Coming from marine applications/storing boats over the winter. I’d fill up with premium non-ethanol and use fuel stabilizer. It will help minimize moisture absorption/condensation in fuel. 2 cents

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you’re going to store any vehicle, put a “Battery Minder” on the battery. Don’t leave it on a “trickle” charger or any type or regular battery charger. Battery chargers will over charge and destroy the battery over time.

My 94 Cobra sits and is on a Battery Minder 24/7 when the car is not in use - AND it’s on a Optima RedTop cell battery. The car starts every time with no issues at all.

Check this site for many types of battery minders:
https://www.batteryminders.com/car-battery-maintainer-automotive-charger

Get the one that will best suit your needs - no need to go overboard and don’t get one that will exceed your battery or vehicle type.

I have this one on the Cobra - yes it’s basic, but it does the job and has been doing so since 2007...
https://www.batteryminders.com/batt...7-12v-1-33-amp-charger-maintainer-desulfator/

Before you place any battery minder on a battery:
1) Remove both Pos (+) and Neg (-) cables from the battery. Do not let them near the papaya of the battery, tuck them down and away or place disposable rubber gloves over the ends of cables so they don’t come in contact with anything.
2) Clean the battery posts of any debris, acid or corrosion build up.
3) Place the battery minder cables on proper posts on battery.
4) Lower hood, but DON’T fully close it, just lower it and let the latch catch, so there’s like a 1/2” gap still present.
5) Throw your favorite car cover on the vehicle.
6) Plug in the battery minder where you can see it and monitor it, especially those that have any LED indicators on the face or front of the battery minder.

The Optima RedTop in my Cobra is going on 10yrs old now - still starts the car as it was new and has been maintained with the Battery Minder.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
There is this little book in your gloves compartment when you press the yellow button it's called Owners Manual in it this is what you will find:

I hope this helps
Totally forgot my car came with that option installed. :computerrage:
Thanks for posting this.

There are few things in there that surprised me based on other information or misinformation all over this forum:
  • Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  • Move vehicles at least 25 ft (7.5 m) every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion.
  • Maintain recommended air pressure.
If I'm going to do this I might as well roll it around the block if the roads are clean and dry. Otherwise back it out of the garage let it run and put it back. This will also prevent flat spots on the tires. No need to disconnect the battery or even trickle charge for that matter.
  • Fill the fuel tank with high-quality fuel until the first automatic shutoff of the fuel pump nozzle.
No fuel stabilizer required?

Sorry but this thread is about winter storage. So to those that say "just drive it all year round, park it outside, blah,blah,blah" please.......:lipssealed:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crap yes forgot mine also sits with a battery tender I plug in once a month. I disconnect it after leaving overnight.
Sponsored