Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If those guys don't really up their game it will have much more than a chance.
the the nice thing about second-mover advantage. Whereas Porsche et. al. spent $$$$$, Chevy can come by 5 years later and take advantage of lessons already learned and advancements in tire and chassis design and materials, and hit the same performance envelop much cheaper. GM already watched Ford blow major money on a large-displacement v8 - they aren't going down that same rabbit hole. If they go flat-plane (not likely) it'll be at rational bore*stroke numbers, not's Ford's sillyness.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
the the nice thing about second-mover advantage. Whereas Porsche et. al. spent $$$$$, Chevy can come by 5 years later and take advantage of lessons already learned and advancements in tire and chassis design and materials, and hit the same performance envelop much cheaper. GM already watched Ford blow major money on a large-displacement v8 - they aren't going down that same rabbit hole. If they go flat-plane (not likely) it'll be at rational bore*stroke numbers, not's Ford's sillyness.
Its already been said its flat-plane. Game over. Now Ford needs to up power on 350.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I highly doubt GM will go all out for the ZO6. I think the ZO6 will have a supercharged lt2 engine but the twin turbo will be reserved only for the ZR1 Zora, otherwise they need to find a better formula for the ZR1 to surpass the ZO6. My guess is 700 hp ZO6 and 800+hp ZR1.
Nope.

Nope, but closer

One's a little high, one's a little low.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where is the link for the official numbers?
The "official" numbers were "unofficially" revealed when an enterprising gentleman managed to photograph actual pages from an actual facts notebook carried by one of the actual C8 engineers at Carlysle. Hopefully nobody at GM finds out the identity of the engineer whose notebook was photographed. People have been fired for less.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What do the betting sites put the odds on the twin-turbo, flat-plane? I don't see it happening at all. On the race car, sure.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
What do the betting sites put the odds on the twin-turbo, flat-plane? I don't see it happening at all. On the race car, sure.
I do, Chevy is trying to put the hurt on McLaren, and Ferrari, ( and others). Both have twin turbo fpc v8's. I definitely see them coming out with a 100k z06 w/ a tt fpc v8 that will put the hurt on most anything under a million. Now idk if I believe the 800 hp amount, as 700 seems more likely. Also not certain if I believe the 5.5L size, but I do believe that it will be sub 100k, below 6L of displacement, twin turbos and have a flat crank.

I didn't think Chevy would do a mid engine below 125k before. Considering the amount of crow myself and the entire internet has had to eat with the c8 unveiling, I'm not willing to count them out again. Yes they can make that car and charge 150k + for it and people would pay it. However, I believe this is their way to stick it to the exotic mfgs. This is a way to show that amazing supercar performance, looks, and materials can be obtainable for not just the super rich. Sure it won't carbon everything like a McLaren, but it's also gonna be 200k cheaper with similar performance so who cares.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Chevy is trying to put the hurt on McLaren, and Ferrari
why? The C8 is already many, many thousands cheaper and produced in what 50x as many numbers? Anyone with McLaren money wouldn't be caught dead buying a C8 except as a cheap DD to beat around instead of their quarter-million 'show' car. It's us "poors" who will gobble up the C8 because it's affordable to the "common man" and looks suspiciously like the McLaren's of the world.

I could see the Zora model being a FPC. But the mass-produced incarnations will be traditional with hoping upon hope they bump the redline to something "lovely".

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
why? The C8 is already many, many thousands cheaper and produced in what 50x as many numbers? Anyone with McLaren money wouldn't be caught dead buying a C8 except as a cheap DD to beat around instead of their quarter-million 'show' car. It's us "poors" who will gobble up the C8 because it's affordable to the "common man" and looks suspiciously like the McLaren's of the world.

I could see the Zora model being a FPC. But the mass-produced incarnations will be traditional with hoping upon hope they bump the redline to something "lovely".
Fair point, can't argue as the prestige of ownership has no price for a lot of people. idk I just think that the c8 is going to cause some havoc in a few years with supercar makers. Either they will need to make some massive tech strides or lower prices. Might not happen but something will give. While not everyone will second guess the purchase of an exotic car but some will. When the z06 drops I wouldn't be surprised if sales of comparable performance cars drop. But time will tell

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
It's funny you mention that, as below is a direct quote from a book I'm reading now (I read the section below last night):

"I spent over an hour at a reception in my favorite American history museum. While there I met Gillis, a highly compensated Fortune 100 senior executive, for the first time. After a brief conversation about the artifacts on display, we discovered a common interest in high-performance automobiles. Gillis told me that he has owned a stable of Porsches, BMWs, and V 12 Mercedes. Then he asked me, “What do you think of the new Corvette?” I responded that it was given the highest praise by Car and Driver, Road and Track, Autoweek, Motor Trend. Then Gillis told me that he really wanted to buy one, but he just couldn’t do it. “If you live in the center of [blue blood estates] you can’t drive a Corvette!” In fact, this topic had just been discussed among Gillis and his neighbors who didn’t want a Corvette in the neighborhood.

I often explain why people like Gillis will not drive a Corvette. The glittering rich [Gillis is one] who drive Porsches do not want to be associated with what they perceive to be the “gold chain” crowd. That is why they will pay substantially more for a Porsche than buy a Corvette, which outperforms the Porsche. In earlier writings, I have asked which of the following three variables is the best predictor of consumption: income, net worth, or market value of home. The market value of a home is the best of the three. If you live in a pricey home situated in blue blood estates, there is enormous social pressure to forgo performance for prestige brands."

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair point, can't argue as the prestige of ownership has no price for a lot of people. idk I just think that the c8 is going to cause some havoc in a few years with supercar makers. Either they will need to make some massive tech strides or lower prices. Might not happen but something will give. While not everyone will second guess the purchase of an exotic car but some will. When the z06 drops I wouldn't be surprised if sales of comparable performance cars drop. But time will tell
I doubt it. People that can afford a Ferrari or a McLaren don’t do “or”, they do “and”. So they’ll get their 488 or 720S and they’ll get a C8 Z06.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.