Sponsored

How to get drums to hit harder

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
18 GT 401A, only mods to stereo are 1.replaced factory sub with RF Punch, 2. replaced center dash speaker with Polk db351

I want more POP from the drums - listen to mostly rock. They don't hit as hard as I'd like. My 06 GT with factory amp and upgraded HU and speakers hit much harder.

What's the best way to accomplish this without an aftermarket amp? Which speakers would be best to upgrade to accomplish this?
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I take it you're looking for more volume vs. simply EQing the signal to make drums "pop." In order to get a higher db output, there are three things you can do:
  1. Add more power (assuming the speakers can take it)
  2. Replace the existing speakers with more efficient ones, therefore making better use of the power you do have
  3. Add more speakers and more power
#3 is what is done in live sound (DJ/Band) when playing larger venues. The sound system is scaled up to match the venue size. This is not practical in a mobile environment. With the stock system, the maximum parameters of the system are pretty much set in stone. The stock amp puts out whatever watts it puts out at the ohm load presented by the stock speakers (I think they are 2 ohms, but not sure). The stock system is pretty maxxed-out. You have a small, OEM amp feeding cheap OEM speakers that are ohm-load-maximized to get the most out of the OEM amp..

You CAN use a program like Audacity to re-encode MP3s at a higher db level to get more out of the stock system. I've done this with certain songs I've downloaded online and they were encoded at such a low db level that even with the volume maxxed I could barely feel the music. This isn't practical as you probably have thousands of MP3s and probably listen to Sirius or even FM as your main sources.

This leaves you with #1 or #2 as your options. I suggest you read the entire Stereo Information sticky thread at the top of this forum to get some ideas. Car stereo/mobile sound is a rabbit hole I've gone down many times in my life. You usually can't change just one thing without needing to also change 5 other things. After "swearing off" installing full systems in cars b/c stock audio as gotten pretty darn good, I just added a sub and amp to my GT. That's been nice-ish....but as someone who has had systems with 200 watts RMS going to just the front doors, I started missing that midbass slam...or the pop in drums, as you put it. :D I'm currently mid-upgrade myself. Keeping the stock HU but upgrading everything else except the JL sub. That's a great piece for what it is and the zero room it takes in the trunk.

#2 is easiest and cheapest, but most aftermarket car speakers are 4 ohm and even if they are more sensitive than the stock speakers, you'll only be pulling 1/2 the power out of the amp (double the ohm load, halve the wattage).

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don't get how keeping the factory amp and replacing only HU and speakers in my 06 resulted in harder hitting drums. By hitting hard I mean I can feel them as opposed to just hear them. Not really about volume, or maybe it is I don't know.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Aftermarket HU probably had a higher output voltage and therefore got more out of the factory amp. Aftermarket speakers were probably much more efficient than stockers. Factory systems in 2006 were pretty primitive compared to the Shaker systems we have today.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I just don't get how keeping the factory amp and replacing only HU and speakers in my 06 resulted in harder hitting drums. By hitting hard I mean I can feel them as opposed to just hear them. Not really about volume, or maybe it is I don't know.
Well, the 06 had 8 inch speakers instead of 6 1/2 inch which leads to a lot more kickbass when everything is equal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the 06 had 8 inch speakers instead of 6 1/2 inch which leads to a lot more kickbass when everything is equal.
Even for the snare drum?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Usually most frequencies of snare drums are played through the midbass and midrange, so enough power, an appropriate crossover setting and equalization should help.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually most frequencies of snare drums are played through the midbass and midrange ..,.
Would that handled mostly by the 3.5 inch or 6 inch door speaker?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You'll need to upgrade both lower door and upper door drivers if you want more impact from drum recordings. While you're at it change the tweeters too because those cover the initial attack of the stick hitting the drum skin and give the symbols that sizzle. Here is a frequency plot of a snare hit. The orange box shows the most critical range. But notice how it's a fairly wide spectrum overall. Start by upgrading all front speakers and be selective about efficiency ratings. You'll want something to make good use of the factory amplifier power. Then use Forscan to dissable the factory EQ. Beyond that you are going to need more power amplification and a good subwoofer.
snarefundamental.jpg

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It could be several things. The audio outs on the aftermarket head unit may be higher output than the factory unit therefore driving the amps harder. Or it could be that the D/A converter in the head unit is simply produces better than the factory....or both.

Back when i was playing with audio...before HP became more fun...I ran eclipse head unit, Diamond audio D5 series amps and comps and a Boston Acoustic 12" sealed. I listened to a wide genre of music (no rap of hop hop) and I preferred a tight hitting bass. Takes more power to drive a sealed box but the control if properly sized (I built my own) perform admirably. Sounded like the bans was sitting on the dash when you were in the vehicle.

Of course technology has come a long way since 2003. But speaker design hasn't really changed with regard to cabinet design and what works for a given taste. Jazz, Classic and hard rock, R/B, CW, Classical, and classic soul, all sound great with a sealed box IMHO. Band pass works well with hip/hop, thrash, and rap IMHO. BP is also good for DB competitions. However they are fixed at a specific frequency unlike ported or sealed boxes. Ported works well overall but you have to dial the port in just right or it goes to crap. Not as tight as a sealed but a better option if you listen to hip hop, rap, and thrash along with other genres. There are other designs as well but these are the three more common. Some research may be worth your time.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Both. Snaredrums main energy are right in the area where both drivers are crossed over.
So you need to deal with crossover settings, time alignment and equalizing at that point.
Better drivers and more power will definitely help, but without proper crossovers, time alignment and equalizing you probably wont get the desired results.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
18 GT 401A, only mods to stereo are 1.replaced factory sub with RF Punch, 2. replaced center dash speaker with Polk db351

I want more POP from the drums - listen to mostly rock. They don't hit as hard as I'd like. My 06 GT with factory amp and upgraded HU and speakers hit much harder.

What's the best way to accomplish this without an aftermarket amp? Which speakers would be best to upgrade to accomplish this?
Change your tweeters... The S197 had way more aggressive tweeters and brighter sounding highs than the s550 shakers.

The trade off to that is the s550 doesn't fatigue your ears as much. A tweeter change will bring out more upper mids and highs and will pull the snap of snares out more.

Also in your EQ settings try dropping the mid frequencies down a tick. With Audio its always better to subtract vs boosting.... And the EQ on these cars are comically bad...

You can also try experimenting with driver mode vs all passengers. I've found some tracks sound better in one vs the other depending on how the track was mixed...

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
According to OP question,higher sensitivity speakers with lower impedance( brands like infinity and JBL) is your best choice. and that is if you don't want to change HU or play with amps and DSPs. The time alignment is already set in the stock ACM so that shouldn't be that much of a big deal.
Sponsored